LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’m pretty sure I bent a tie rod today. This is a perfectly straight road.

Might be an excuse to upgrade to a ‘15+ STi steering rack.

Turns out that there is no suspension damage and the alignment was just “knocked out of whack”. Camber was off by a full degree. A new alignment seems to have corrected everything.

I did another oil change with Motul 8100 Xcess and an OEM blue filter. I accumulated just shy of 3k miles in 3 weeks.

My 3.0R makes more power than a stock XT and has none of the reliability concerns. Sadly it didnt come with a manual but I think that's fixable.

The 3.0R and 2.5XT were always basically rated for the same or very similar hp they just differ on how the two motors deliver their torque.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Do you guys think it will seal? Doing a test fit right now...

Cut out at least three layers of a really thin copper plate to fit the flange and the hole profile - the most effective gasket in this situation. Fill the remaining outer gap with a furnace cement. Works for me, not a single leak to this day and it prevents rusting. :lol:

Yeah that's kinda why I've been looking at them.

I looked for about 4mo before I found my 08. I prefer the facelift if you can find one in good shape. The 3.0 does great. Torque feels good around town. Several trips to SLC and Seattle from Boise. Ave about 25.5-27mpg if I'm staying under 85. S# can be herky jerky in town sometimes but S is where I leave it in terms of power delivery. Really would make a difference if I did an XRT tune, have yet to really look into that though but my guess beat some stage2 Bros if you did tune one

Cut out at least three layers of a really thin copper plate to fit the flange and the hole profile - the most effective gasket in this situation. Fill the remaining outer gap with a furnace cement. Works for me, not a single leak to this day and it prevents rusting. :lol:

I just went ahead this past Friday and used the Permatex Ultra copper stuff. I used a good amount of it and followed their instruction (to wait 24 hrs). Started the car the next day and, man oh man, I LOVE how it sounds! It is a nice fairly subtle rumble. Kinna sound like a stock STI, nice and deep. My wife loves it too. I am really glad I kept the stock mid pipe to avoid drone. And yeah, so far no leaks!

If I have time, I will make a video of AVO vs. Stromung since both cars are parked next to each other.

The 3.0R and 2.5XT were always basically rated for the same or very similar hp they just differ on how the two motors deliver their torque.

After my buddy tuned it the car put down over 200hp, a stock manual LGT normally puts down around 190-195 on this Dyno. My Focus ST put down like 217. Its amazing how much the factory tune relied on the knock sensors to keep it safe.

1262389524_WMLLBEANER.thumb.JPG.f6a0f058eec7252f0c437076843724de.JPG

After my buddy tuned it the car put down over 200hp, a stock manual LGT normally puts down around 190-195 on this Dyno. My Focus ST put down like 217. Its amazing how much the factory tune relied on the knock sensors to keep it safe.

[ATTACH]268025[/ATTACH]

That's pretty impressive! I didn't realize tunes were available for the 3.0R!

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

That's pretty impressive! I didn't realize tunes were available for the 3.0R!

They can be tuned open source (rom raider or the like). Someone who understands subaru open source tuning should be able to figure it out. As you can see, subaru ran them very lean.

Got my upper rear lateral links installed and got it aligned! Subaru had to cut the OEM camber bolts because they were seized. Which is why I didn't do this at home.

Also was able to go through my full vehicle history for the first time and learned some terrible news: this car has had the turbo replaced 4, yes FOUR times!! WTF! And it only has 115k miles. It also has a different, non ej255 engine in it, but the history didn't say which. Need to find the serial no. So, I feel disappointed as a buyer because this very dealership told me a new engine and turbo was put in at 75k (didn't me tion the other shit) and that I should buy it when I had a pre-purchase inspection. Ugh. Oh well, I'm still happy with it.

Aside from that bombshell, it handles a lot better. And I'm now saving up for when bad news strikes and I decide to rebuild everything. Still going to baby it and keep it well maintained.0ff79d8fd2323d8dbff98bd90f820216.jpg

Who in PDX area did you use? I just got a spider chip that spread 12" within an hour this morning?

Auto Glass Fitters, 877-541-4527

The dude that did the actual install was from New York and I don’t think his method was OSHA approved. He propped the windshield up from the passenger seat using his head while he worked on getting the adhesive from the bottom of the windshield.

I just got back from Bend and stand up paddle boarding near Mt Bachelor.

NDJNcsW_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Dropped the OBXT monday to the dealership so they could replace my brake lines under warranty.

MY friend's shop made the arrangment and everything went smoothly without hiccups so now I have brand new lines all the way from front to back.

For the past few weeks I suspected a front right wheel bearing going out but turned out to be left & right.

Changed both and now should be good for a while until rears decide to let go :spin:

haha I know all too well about doing bolt in wheel bearings. This beast now has new ones on all 4 corners.

Also finished replacing that heater core line back to the thermostat housing. What a bitch this was to get out but it went back in super easy. I added a coat or two of high temp clear to hopefully stave off it rusting again any time soon.

IMG_20180817_183816.thumb.jpg.5d57f84d7a15ece151b0ef7f50e08578.jpg

IMG_20180817_183821.thumb.jpg.5755e682d6c6c2bbc9d48f9cf02b0f1e.jpg

This was how the pipe looked when I pulled it out. It was certainly dead.

IMG_20180817_184529.thumb.jpg.a3b252e85eb5e2c189fd5e1ea5a288d5.jpg

Maybe ill get my hands on an exhaust this weekend and I can get it sounding appropriate. Now I just need to finish bleeding the coolant, what a pain.

Engine light and tracktion controll light is on, cruise controll light blinking. My buddy who owns a Subaru dealership told me it can mean something – because the car is running perfectly. I will be on a diag tomorrow or next week because of his and mine schedules. Any ideas until the time the car will be checked?

Archived