LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Good :Installed the BTS kit last friday. Drove a bit and really like the improvment so far. Im debating putting back my hotchkis front swaybar.

The bads:

-Need to replace a front wheel bearing

-My AC needs maintenance

And had it tow this afternoon since my rear right brake line busted in my driveway friday just before heading to my friend's place to pick him up for a 1h30 trip to a festival.

17089a8d82b79fd2d191fc741e4fc017.jpg

I find myself and Gf pretty lucky since she drove it all week long.

My friends mech scheduled an "emergency" appointment monday.

Welp, my sunroof broke, Its stuck between vent and half open. When I press the button, I hear a click but glass is not responsive :( luckily I have some time before rain hits, and have cardboard to close the gap in the meantime. I know this will be a consuming fix, taking my time, money, or both.

^The sunroof on my 05 does not fully work either. The small window does not go up. As a result, when you try to close the whole thing, the larger window will not go all the way. But I was able to close it by hand.

As for me, installed the kta124 kit this past weekend. Will redo my diy alignment some time this week.

Got my awning too, additional (used) bike rack for my 5 year old 20" bike, and portable (big kahuna) shower. Rig is slowly getting ready :spin:.

oil change - last oil filter I had and cut my engine cover to fit with the GS intercooler

70phf66.jpg

Welp, my sunroof broke, Its stuck between vent and half open. When I press the button, I hear a click but glass is not responsive :( luckily I have some time before rain hits, and have cardboard to close the gap in the meantime. I know this will be a consuming fix, taking my time, money, or both.

I want a sunroof delete. I never use it and it's cracked (don't know how that happened)

Parked for three days. Need to do an Oil change soon. Drive to sort the camping gear, boat gear and friends back yard bar went off without a issue. Looks like this new alternator is key. Now to find options to get my old boat back on the water... I miss that. Already looking at long and short block options. :spin:

Heuberger has a sunroof assembly for $200-ish. seemed cheap for what it is. granted, shipping could be killer. i have a small mousebite out of the sealing edge that i looked into gettting fixed, but looked like i had to replace the entire part vs. pulling off and putting on some new edge seal.
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Woot passed smog with a GS intercooler. (I did put my OEM downpipe on) and I did blow the intercooler coupler off on the way home cause I didn't tighten it enough.

Passing with a GS intercooler means I could move to an STI style (DOM1.5XTR) turbo if I want to.

It's such a pain. I should probably order all new nuts again. These are starting to get toasty from the turbo.

Last time I had my 7 month pregnant wife help me. This time I had my wife whining at me to hurry up because my 22 month old son was whining at her.

I found a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy who works out of his garage that can check backlash and preload on my 6mt. A local aamco shop sends their manual transmission jobs to him as they now only work on autos. He's never done 6mt but he has done the 5mt adjustments using the drain plug dial gauge method. My next best option will cost double and I'lll have to wait three weeks. I think I'm gonna try him. He said he'd verify 6mt specs and not just assume its identical to a 5mt job. I think it will be ok.

Does it have its own braking system? Are you on stock OB suspension?

it does, but i haven't gotten it completely wired up yet. axle only goes to 2,000 lbs, so as long as I'm smart, i'll only be using 75% of the stated weight rating for the outback (2,700 stated max for 4 cylinders, 3,000 for 6 cylinders - but why the difference?).

i might take my in-laws jeep for this 2 day trip, so that i only have to worry about 1 thing breaking down (the trailer, hopefully). then do some proper maintenance on the outback and get it ready for the next trip with a trailer that is more familiar.

i mean, if it was just me going camping, or if it was me and the wife, i'd take the outback, but since the kids are going, i'd rather simplify the possibilities.

Will be checking out the new hubs/bearings, new tires, the trailer itself, the gas/stove system, and the electrical system.

Maybe next trip i'll test the heater and fridge and see what i can do to test the inverter.

Need to do some investigation on maintenance things too like sealant and greasing the lift system and such.

all in all, I'm a complete newb to all the things that come with owning a tent trailer. But at least I know the tires (including spare), brakes, hubs and bearings are all good (at the moment). And i have the week to sort out the trailer wiring, since the wiring right at the plug is pretty messed up.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Dropped the outback off at the dealer today for the airbag and blower recall.

Might finally get my smog this week. This is the second registration I've paid without getting it street legal. Next step, find a set of factory outback mufflers to put back on for the sleeper sound.

Woot passed smog with a GS intercooler. (I did put my OEM downpipe on) and I did blow the intercooler coupler off on the way home cause I didn't tighten it enough.

Passing with a GS intercooler means I could move to an STI style (DOM1.5XTR) turbo if I want to.

Are you still on stock fueling?

Got both rear hubs removed and replaced, car now has 4 new wheel bearings. Test fit my LGT rotors and everything looks good there.

IMG_20180729_152504.thumb.jpg.75b1651ed6a21c8a9b1925171eb79a85.jpg

Also my stickers came in from the UK for the calipers and I have the rears done now. Just need to finish tearing the old rear lines off so I can get my stoptech ones installed. I think I am ordering new rear hardlines as the old ones are in pretty rough shape.

IMG_20180730_171021.thumb.jpg.c25fe60e1022959a691b906efa022da8.jpg

Edit: Last night I got a little more done on the car. Had to make a little clearance on the rear knuckle for the bolt head that holds the caliper to the bracket. PITA but not terrible.

IMG_20180731_201812.thumb.jpg.8ce9cc5232aa19fd4b3a94342780d686.jpg

oil change - last oil filter I had and cut my engine cover to fit with the GS intercooler

70phf66.jpg

I want a sunroof delete. I never use it and it's cracked (don't know how that happened)

You should look into getting a new recirc valve for your GS intercooler. I had the turbosmart on my LGT and it was amazing at what a difference it made.

White smoke billowing from the driver's side of the car - I thought the worst. Turned out to be one of the water pump bypass hoses developed a pinhole leak. $7 at the dealer and it was fixed. Decided to get a new T-stat and rad hoses in the process since I had to drain the coolant (another $50 or so in parts, nothing big). Also installed a used Turbosmark Kompact BPV because why not...

In the process of filling the system, hot coolant got on the Cyl 3 coilpack. I didn't think much of it until 2 days later when I started the car and it ran like garbage - OBD reader read the misfire. Good thing I had a set of used coilpacks in the basement from my old Legacy (yet another part that is interchangeable!). Also found out the new BPV's vaccum line was not tightened, causing a leak and even more running issues.

Car is back to running condition (for now) and DD duty. Kind of leary of the car given how small things seem to always snowball into other problems...

EDIT: Annual inspection's coming up, looks like I'll need new rear brake pads...more maintenance items. YAY!

Archived