LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost ended up with a 05 Manual OBXT as trade for some shop work and tune on another car but couldnt come to a solid agreement....I was really stoked as the suspension was already done and a blown motor so a perfect builder.....Hopefully the guy reconsiders and comes back as I would love to have a battlewagon!

on another note - Our 10% off customer appreciation discount has done VERY well for the month of august, please make sure to contact us if you would like to jump on board before the 1st.

Thanks to all for your support!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Well......... 6 speed is in. Still breaking in the clutch. Act XT is so much better then the comp stage 3 I had in the 5mt. The best thing about the 6mt is..... the 6th gear on the highway! Huge change going from the 5mt with 4.44 gearing. Way more civilized and chill for cruising.

Got - Damn it took me too much grief to get here though. If you spotted my other threads I was having issues with starting it up after a borked jump. Well, it got to the shop at it started right up on it's own. No problems there. The tow was free, the new battery and starter were also free. BUT.... I didn't know about properly engaging the TO bearing and so that was a problem they fixed for me. Also bent a lower heat shield that was hitting the fly wheel I think, and they fixed that for me. And the best part of all was that the yard I bought the swap from sent me the wrong REAR axles... They went in ok, but were not connecting with the r180 splines and didnt catch it during install. So I was lucky that one of the shop guys had a spare set of hybrids, basically handmade spec b shafts and bought those off him for cheaper then new spec b axles so there is that. I am hoping the yard can find the real rear shafts I need then I can sell those and call it a wash.

The spec b on initial shifting was not the smooth buttery experience everyone clamors about. But I was comparing my 5mt with bushings and even more importantly 671 gram shift knob to the stock knob on the 6mt. I swapped my 5mt knob over and it instantly made a HUGE difference and felt better then the 5mt shifting fo sure.

So I am buying another anarchy motive knob but can't make up my mind. Which style do you guys like better? I like the ball without the collar, but I like the added height of the collar and the extra 80 grams it has.

Anarchy Motive Mammoth vs Atlas. They have had a bad rap in the past for bad ship times. I've never encountered much of that. I bought two knobs in the past with little trouble. One took a month to arrive but its an amazing knob and at $60 I can complain.

29913355_ScreenShot2018-08-28at12_25_45PM.thumb.png.6b990f02fb9c7d786a8abb8d7cdb591b.png

Not on a subaru so the look will be different but its the same color as I want.

250631346_ScreenShot2018-08-28at12_25_53PM.thumb.png.518e3ccb6bec5953befa2fa22c8428d5.png

Collared one on a spec b swap but wrong colour.

133556456_ScreenShot2018-08-28at12_27_03PM.thumb.png.094a27776a35b8534fb005b9eb81b4d7.png

I had a really close call with a deer on Tuesday night and another one this morning. I tagged it too late this morning on my dashcam but this is Tuesday night, going 74 mph.

pnUzSoH_d.jpg?maxwidth=2560&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Damn I thought my dash cam was cool. Which one do you have?

Drove it 90 miles one way to a job and back. Act Xt ss clutch is about broke in so I stepped on it a little. Not wot, because the shops wants to do their own health check before I go nuts. Man is the driving with the spec b 6mt nice. It’s just smooth, not the shifting, which is nice too, but something about the transmission and more likely the gearing makes it so smooth. The extra weight does nnice things to the comfort of my coilovers as well. I haven’t driven hard at all, but I can tell the difference between an open front diff of the 5mt and the ap suretrac I put in the 6mt. It turns quicker for sure, and I can see why you’d want it for the track. The rear end doesn’t do fun rear end things anymore, but it’s definitely a positive trade off with he snoothness if the turns. Plus the gear spacing is just perfect. Going back and forth in my mind between doing a tablet with btssm or vei dual gauges. I’m back to wanting dual gauges over the tablet. I just don’t want more tech in my car.

Oh and the act xt ss clutch is super civilized and easy to drive compared to the comp stage three I had. That was like using a one legged stair master comparatively.

Added the GS TMIC and Cobb BOV this weekend.

That first fitting is a bit of a bear on the intake to IC hose. Love that it has isolated mounts.

Need to get another length of the rubber for the back of the splitter.

The splitter in general is ok, just a little flimsy and needs a gap taken up before the new heat shield goes in.

Not a fan of sheet metal slapping my hood scoop closing the hood.

I am back!! Just did 5500 miles road trip. The car made it. Did some roadkill 'autozone parking' lots fixes a couple of times. Nothing too serious though. Oh and glad I brought a gallon of T6 cause had to add about a quart every 1k (cracked ringland anyone :lol:). Went from Maryland to Utah via I70 and then came back along route 66 and I40.

I'll provide pics later. But the car was LOADED!

5500 miles is epic! How long did it take? You didn't sleep in the car, right? Oh, I love Roadkill. And I wish I only used a quart every 1k.

Yeah man. I have a wife and two kids, so sleeping in the car was not an option. Plus the trunk was full already.

The trip lasted exactly three weeks. We camped for more than a third of the time both in Utah and Colorado in BLM land and National Forest areas. Brought a portable shower, 15lbs propane tank, a fridge and a bunch of other stuff :spin:. I'll share pics and GoPro footages later. It was tiring but unforgettable. That's for sure.

So my plan is the run my outback kybs this winter as a winter set up. That plan can easily change of course. :)

What would happen if I put rallitek legacy 1” lift springs on the outback kybs? My goal is to be higher then I am now on coilovers, but not on outback height stilts and still have some firmness without spending a lot.

So my plan is the run my outback kybs this winter as a winter set up. That plan can easily change of course. :)

What would happen if I put rallitek legacy 1” lift springs on the outback kybs? My goal is to be higher then I am now on coilovers, but not on outback height stilts and still have some firmness without spending a lot.

Is the question about if the longer outback shocks will be too compromised with the 1" taller legacy height springs? I don't think those springs would be too low for the longer outback shocks. Also guessing you'll still need saggy butt spacers on the rallitek lift springs. No science behind that, just hunch.

What about putting Rallitek front and rear lift spacers on top of your coilovers?

Is the question about if the longer outback shocks will be too compromised with the 1" taller legacy height springs? I don't think those springs would be too low for the longer outback shocks. Also guessing you'll still need saggy butt spacers on the rallitek lift springs. No science behind that, just hunch.

What about putting Rallitek front and rear lift spacers on top of your coilovers?

I do not want to run the coilovers in winter because salt state. Also cold weather wears on them harder.

I may just have to go full monster truck this winter. I'd love to run something lower then that though.

You could probably run stock legacy springs on the outback struts - the difference in spring perch height would already be ~1" higher than stock legacy height.

Wouldn’t this kill the struts? Or would they be stiffer because of the shorter travel?

Honestly, I'm not sure how different the springs are between OBXT and LGT Wagon stock springs. My understanding is that the difference in height is from the higher spring perches on the OBXT struts, + body/subframe spacers on the OBXT. Considering that between the two, you're adding roughly 3", so I'm not sure if the springs are all that different. I'm sure someone else can chime in with more familiarity with the OEM stuff.

If the springs are the same between outback and legacy, and it’s all in the spring perches, then I may be better off putting the outback springs on my old spec b bilsteins, and reuse the Kyb top hats.

That should give me a stiffer ride. My kybs are pretty fresh though, I only ran them for six months before lowering, and they were stiffish if I remember right. The spec b shocks were too plush to me.

Archived