LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that.

The wait time will not be an issue. That car does not move much during the week anyway. I'll try to tackle this tonight.Time to pull the sawzall cause the stock bolts are in really bad shape. Lots of corrosion there..

Changed my plugs over the weekend and check out what came out:

enhance

enhance

You may not be able to see it, but there are two Champion plugs, an Autolite, and an NGK. And in the second photo, you can see that the NGK is shorter than the other three! Glad I pulled them.

I got it in Feb of this year, so I've had it for about 6 months. Bought it from a dealer. Yup. Early on, I suspected an ignition problem and changed the coil packs because the dealer said they changed all the plugs before I picked it up. The new coil packs fixed the issue, little did I know they were actually making up for a set of wildly mismatched plugs! I'm really surprised it ran as well as it did with the plugs in there.

reminds me of my car.

bought from a VW dealer and when i took it in for the first (and last) subaru dealership service, they let me know that the brand new accessory belts were both the wrong size. so i ended up having them replace both. i guess the VW dealership never said the new belts were the CORRECT belts... :lol:

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

So the car is out of the garage again. Brakes are much better now and the cat issue has been resolved. Time to get it over to my buddy so he can align it, hopefully this week or early next.

IMG_20180808_174927.thumb.jpg.54d9462d42edaa05cd0eaf1dad87c7a3.jpg

Sadly it has to go back under the knife sooner than later... Coolant return hardline is leaking and needs to be replaced. Valve covers are also leaking but i might not touch them.

IMG_20180808_175145.thumb.jpg.96294828783eaeb4278955ce72ab5115.jpg

Removed my stock mufflers for the first time after 9 years of ownership. 'Only' took 3 hours to take off 4 bolts :mad:. Will replace these mufflers with the AVO ones.

The stock flanges have lost some thickness in some areas due to corrosion. Now I don't know if the Ultra copper will be able to fix that. I hope so...

Removed my stock mufflers for the first time after 9 years of ownership. 'Only' took 3 hours to take off 4 bolts :mad:. Will replace these mufflers with the AVO ones.

The stock flanges have lost some thickness in some areas due to corrosion. Now I don't know if the Ultra copper will be able to fix that. I hope so...

i was gonna say before (but didn't), the previous owner had "hogzausted" my mufflers and so the flange faces looked terrible. had to file them down a little before putting in new gaskets. had them off for rear sway change.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I see. The thickness of my flanges is larger where the bolts go but smaller half way between the bolts if you see what I mean. I will sand the flange face, clean them well, use the ultra copper and hope for the best. But I will have to go buy some bolts this evening. You think stainless steel bolts would be OK there? I hate rust..

Did my talk of the mufflers spur you to tackle this?

I agree sand it as flat as possible without taking too much of the material away. Then put the ultra copper on one side of the mating surface. Do your best to not smear the bead and get it mated before it starts to skin over.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Did my talk of the mufflers spur you to tackle this?

At least you have convinced me (in addition to what I found on the web) that the Ultra copper stuff should work by itself to seal the exhaust flanges.

I agree sand it as flat as possible without taking too much of the material away. Then put the ultra copper on one side of the mating surface. Do your best to not smear the bead and get it mated before it starts to skin over.

Yeah. I carefully read the instructions this morning. Although I got a bit confused as one set of instructions says to do what you said and torque to spec right away. Then wait 24 hrs to cure. Another set of instructions said to get the bolts finger tight until the silicone squeezes out a bit; wait an hour and torque to spec, then wait 24 hrs to cure.

i was gonna say before (but didn't), the previous owner had "hogzausted" my mufflers and so the flange faces looked terrible. had to file them down a little before putting in new gaskets. had them off for rear sway change.

I would say the muffler flanges on the stock system are pretty bad corrosion-resistance-wise. When I took my system part, half of the muffler flanges flaked off into my hand, leaving me with bent, paper-thin flanges...

I would say the muffler flanges on the stock system are pretty bad corrosion-resistance-wise. When I took my system part, half of the muffler flanges flaked off into my hand, leaving me with bent, paper-thin flanges...

That's kind of what happened to mine. The original gasket was actually still in one piece with corroded pieces of the flange stuck to it.

That's the same that happened to me. My mid pipe flanges are all sorts of fucked up.

Do you guys think it will seal? Doing a test fit right now...

Well, I went ahead this morning and used the Ultra copper stuff to seal those gaps. I actually think it will work. And I am also quite surprised how the AVO mufflers fit so well using the stock rubber exhaust hangers.

I will start the car tomorrow morning. Wish me luck! :spin:

Archived