LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

got TWO nails taken out of my drivers rear tire. went to go take it to work and was visibly flat. filled it up and drive a few miles to the local discount tire (where i get tires). took quite a while, mostly cause there was 4 or 5 people there before me, even though they'd only been open 15 minutes. glad i grabbed a book before headed there, but missed my monday morning meeting.
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my experience I haven't found anything that survives under the car besides powdercoating with ceramic such as cerakote. The VHT does well enough that going under the car and spraying the problem spots (y-pipe) each or every other year is easy enough.

Thanks for this info.

I was picturing you taking off the exhaust component every other year and respray, which was a deal breaker for me. But, spraying with the exhaust in place is not bad. I may do that then.

my mufflers have been sprayed in VHT black for years and no sign of paint chipping. i think they're stainless though (OEM). i also backed the coating on, and did a good cleaning and sandpaper roughing up before paint.

my OEM mufflers look fine too. The mid pipe is the problem. How does yours look like? Did you spray it too?

Below the 'low' line? Or not on the dipstick?

The Engine Masters guys tested dyno'ing with less and less oil, and kept making more and more power on it.

Almost not on the dipstick.

My engine burns around a 1/2 quart per 1200 miles. With the KillerB pan and the dipstick it just looks panic low even though it has more oil than oem...

Almost not on the dipstick.

My engine burns around a 1/2 quart per 1200 miles. With the KillerB pan and the dipstick it just looks panic low even though it has more oil than oem...

I'm a little frustrated with my build having similar results.

The stock motor had zero oil burn until the head gaskets blew and I tore it down.

Wondering if this is normal with forged pistons?

After about 6 years of our old site we revamped it, check it out and let us know what you think.

http://www.cryotuneperformance.com

As always thanks for all the support, we love these battlewagons!

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I'm a little frustrated with my build having similar results.

The stock motor had zero oil burn until the head gaskets blew and I tore it down.

Wondering if this is normal with forged pistons?

My OEM never burned oil either. My understanding is that in general forged needs to be built a little looser. That will cause some blow by.

I am also running close to 20 psi so wouldn't surprise me if some just leaking because of so much more pressure.

My tune is no more than 15 psi because 200K auto. Get a smokey startup from time to time. Looking into options for AOS, new SB, Auto rebuild... I think the Auto will pooch first and need the attention before another SB. Still rolls good once warm.

My OEM never burned oil either. My understanding is that in general forged needs to be built a little looser. That will cause some blow by.

I am also running close to 20 psi so wouldn't surprise me if some just leaking because of so much more pressure.

Yes, the clearance spec for most commercially-available forged pistons are looser than the stock. Expect some blow-by when the engine is still warming up to full operating temp.

Compound this with a bores that were opened up without a torque block on them and you have my situation.... Lesson here is, make sure your machine shop has a clear understanding what is needed for these motors kids.

I got this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rev9-For-Legacy-07-09-BL-BP-EJ25-GT-Silicone-Turbo-Inlet-Intake-Hose-Black-/352154911217?hash=item51fe1181f1

Note that this specific listing if for the 07-09. The 05-06 has a different placement for the bypass valve return hole. But assuming you get the one that matches up with your car, it's WAY easier to install than an OEM replacement. And it's only $90 shipped!

Archived