LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

^Nice. Time to lift it then :hide:

We have the ambitious goal of a doing a cross-country trip, camp, bike, catch up with friends, etc... 2 adults + 2 kids. We will see how it goes :spin:

I am not really enjoying the height of my car in Pinks. I think I need to lift it 3/4ths of an inch up. The 2 inch hitch hangs so low it scraps often. Especially if there is anything in the trunk.

I have done 2 adults, 1 kid, 2 60 pound dogs for 7 hours. So happy I have a minivan now. The Outback is just tiny.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Replaced my other front axle. Huge tip for that evil circlip is to keep it centered with some grease and have the open end of the circlip facing up. Push it in gently until it engages the diff, and then it should pop right in. If it require more than a firm push the circlip is probably caught and you should pull it out and try again.

Learned this the hard way with the first axle I replaced, that thing will get stuck really good if the circlip gets in the way.

While I have her up I'll probably install my coilovers.

I'm falling victim to the infamous studder on my 5eat. FML. Seems to be getting worse as it's getting hotter out now. Only started happening in the last few thousand miles. I've been reading and going to reset the ECU tonight, clean the maf, new pcv valve. Haven't done spark plugs yet as part of my 60k service so that'll be next other I'm thinking maybe my front o2 sensor could be bad since that was the side all the axle grease went when it tore.

"This is EXACTLY what is happening...

or me it occurs when cruising around 2k rpm and slightly increasing throttle. It feels like the engine is bogging down like the transmission needs to down shift but doesn't. It will keep on stuttering as long as you keep the throttle constant, but if you apply a little more throttle it will downshift and the stutter will go away. I read through this entire thread and cannot figure out what is going on"

I am not really enjoying the height of my car in Pinks. I think I need to lift it 3/4ths of an inch up. The 2 inch hitch hangs so low it scraps often. Especially if there is anything in the trunk.

I have done 2 adults, 1 kid, 2 60 pound dogs for 7 hours. So happy I have a minivan now. The Outback is just tiny.

Sure. The outback is a bit small. But but but, what about if I want to go on dirt roads and stuff? We won't go fast on these, that's for sure. But we will ride on some dirt roads probably in the rockies. Can't freakin wait!!! :spin:

Wait a minute. Aren't you running King springs in the back? KSRS 29?

I think I purchased practically everything I need for the 6mt swap. I still feel like I am missing some things that will show themselves once I get into it. I’m sure there will be bolts and tools I haven’t for seen I’ll need. Probably fluids too. Still waffling on putting in a flsd. The shift bezel, boot and knob that came from the donor car look in terrible shape. I’ll use it for now. I’ll ask for redline and anarchy motive upgrades when the holidays roll around. Not sure how I’ll get a new looking bezel though.

Now I’m wondering how ill get my car up high enough to drop the transmission. I’ll probably have to buy extended jack stands.

Are these the 17" bbs STI wheels? Could you tell the difference from stock (weight) ?

I can’t remember the stock wheels but switching from my ‘04 STi BBS 17”x7.5” wheels to my 18”x8” Enkei Raijins I could definitely feel a difference. AFAIK they are similar in weight to the stock wheels.

Are these the 17" bbs STI wheels? Could you tell the difference from stock (weight) ?
they are the 04 sti 17"

i could tell when i went to swap them on with new tires, and whenever i take a wheel off. my stockers were ~24lbs and the bbs wheels are ~16lbs. when i put these on and got the DWS06 tires, i lost ~8lbs at each corner. i couldn't tell you if they drove different though. but they sure are pretty, mostly after i had them repainted. been 3 years and they almost look new.

i do bet i could feel the difference going back to stock though, like WRX USA said

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I think I purchased practically everything I need for the 6mt swap. I still feel like I am missing some things that will show themselves once I get into it. I’m sure there will be bolts and tools I haven’t for seen I’ll need. Probably fluids too. Still waffling on putting in a flsd. The shift bezel, boot and knob that came from the donor car look in terrible shape. I’ll use it for now. I’ll ask for redline and anarchy motive upgrades when the holidays roll around. Not sure how I’ll get a new looking bezel though.

Now I’m wondering how ill get my car up high enough to drop the transmission. I’ll probably have to buy extended jack stands.

I was able to do that using regular jack stands. However, I don't know if the 6mt is slightly taller than the 5mt.

Wait a minute. Aren't you running King springs in the back? KSRS 29?

KRSL 29+ half inch spacer. So they are about a half inch lower than the KSRS 29. For that look with the front Pinks. KSRS 29 just had to much rake. For some reason my driver side rear rubs on hard hits too. No idea why. Passenger side is fine. That's what I get for 255/40/18 on 18x9s. Mostly I am just annoyed at how low my hidden hitch sits. If it tucked up better this wouldn't be a problem. Debating going to the 1/4" OEM hitch, but that's really pricey.

UIKvTkX.jpg

As high as possible. I got extended jack stands from harbor freight. It was super helpful. I still should have lifted my car higher. Which, is a little awkward because you need to use some combination of a boars+jacks to get the car up high enough.

:eek: that's wild. What offset are those wheels and did you have to do much fender modification? Your wagon is sexay btw.

So much fender modification. The wheels are 18x9 et40. I needed a 5mm spacer in the rear to get them to stop rubbing on the inner fender.

Went on an excursion from French Meadow camp ground to Soda Springs last Saturday over some un managed fire roads. Was really glad I had not lowered the car at this point. Slow going for 30+ miles. Nice to see some of the American River Canyon from this perspective.

Went on an excursion from French Meadow camp ground to Soda Springs last Saturday over some un managed fire roads. Was really glad I had not lowered the car at this point. Slow going for 30+ miles. Nice to see some of the American River Canyon from this perspective.

I did the upper portion of that road with my wife in the beginning of June. We went from Soda Springs just past the bridge over the North Fork of the American River. It was really slow going in our Explorer.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Had to do a little bit more work on the suspension on the outback. All 4 Toe Adjustments are frozen and need to be replaced so I'm doing front inner and outer tie rod ends, and rear lower control arms. One corner done so far, what a pain in the but these are.

Screenshot_20180717-200859.thumb.jpg.807e461f12945a5fb377e5fccaad32f5.jpg

Also decided to give the car a bling, new 4/2 Pots with stainless lines and a master cylinder brace.

IMG_20180717_200602.thumb.jpg.fb41216c1cf36efe025ed168609607cc.jpg

You can reuse your stock shift bezel and boot, just need to take out the little plastic snap ring for the knob and undo some stitches.

I remember having my old car up to the max jackstand setting, and I still had to drag the 6speed out on a piece of sheetrock, no room to have a transmission jack under the trans to wheel it out from under the car...

Picked one up today! It is pretty clean overall, I am only the second owner. The body has 186k miles, and the motor has been replaced with a 50k kilometer JDM ej20 non-turbo.

R0BFYFNh.jpg

Plans are to tint the windows, and then drive it forever.

Archived