LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

You should look into getting a new recirc valve for your GS intercooler. I had the turbosmart on my LGT and it was amazing at what a difference it made.

That would be one more thing I have to change for SMOG. I don't think at my boost levels there is anything wrong with the OEM one. Or, at least my tuner (Cryotune) has never pushed me to buy it - and I bought and installed all the "probably nice to have parts" he recommended.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did also get 2 duplicate sheetmetal parts yesterday, custom made. just a housing for an off-the-shelf trailer connector plug (7 way blade and 4 way flat) that i can attach to the subaru OEM hitch on the left side. Needs some additional work (holes, some additional bending, fasteners, paint, etc.) but looks like it'll be great. will mount the plug to the left of the main hitch and will clamp onto the left side of the U-shaped hitch square bar, and kinda locks in place off of some other bits on the hitch.

the funniest part is that the plug is literally larger than the square bar that the hitch is made from, so it'll end up sticking down from the hitch a tad (no real room to bias it up, since the bumper exists in that spot).

i'll see about getting pics when i get closer to being done.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

I had a harrowing experience last night. I’d just driven back from Lake Tahoe to San Jose to drop off my friend and after I left her house I got on the freeway and noticed that my cargo box was making all kinds of extra movement. I quickly pulled over on the side of the freeway and immediately noticed that the box was open. Luckily nothing flew out and the box seems perfectly fine.

That's no good. Did you just forget to close / lock it? Or did it pop open on it's own?

I think I was a little tired from the drive and SUPing at Echo Lake earlier and didn’t get it fully locked down. My inflatable SUP was in there which I think helped the box when the 80mph winds hit.

I think I was a little tired from the drive and SUPing at Echo Lake earlier and didn’t get it fully locked down. My inflatable SUP was in there which I think helped the box when the 80mph winds hit.

That is strange cause the skybox will only let you remove the key if it is properly closed. You have a skybox no?

That would be one more thing I have to change for SMOG. I don't think at my boost levels there is anything wrong with the OEM one. Or, at least my tuner (Cryotune) has never pushed me to buy it - and I bought and installed all the "probably nice to have parts" he recommended.

Oh i hear you about SMOG but that really shouldn't make any difference as far as they are concerned, they passed your intercooler... The benefits of the recirc valve are certainly about holding more pressure, but the real benefit that I noticed immediately was in turbo response between shifts. At essentially all boost levels the OEM recirc is pretty slow and you dont even realize that until you get rid of it. I was running a VF52 and a process west topmount on my LGT and it was night and day.

After having one, I would never run the stock plastic recirc valve again at any power level.

If my truck wasn't an automatic i would consider grabbing 2 for it as well, but i feel like the gains going to be pretty minimal.

20140530_190818.thumb.jpg.ac3e6374b943d7ff16b14760889c4ea7.jpg

Drove the wagon to work this morning.

Yesterday I took the cardboard from my sunroof and to my surprise, it closed by itself...very slowly. Now that it is closed, I never want to use it again in fear of having it stuck open. Sucks because that was a big reason why I purchased this car, I use it all the time. Guess I just have a large glass roof now :(

Oh i hear you about SMOG but that really shouldn't make any difference as far as they are concerned, they passed your intercooler... The benefits of the recirc valve are certainly about holding more pressure, but the real benefit that I noticed immediately was in turbo response between shifts. At essentially all boost levels the OEM recirc is pretty slow and you dont even realize that until you get rid of it. I was running a VF52 and a process west topmount on my LGT and it was night and day.

Interesting. California SMOG rules suck. They specifically call out that the stock BPV needs to be on the car. If I went to a large turbo / injectors I would probably consider changing it and just sucking it up. But, right now I am lazy. My car is getting slightly neglected as other hobbies take my interest + money + time.

Sucks because that was a big reason why I purchased this car, I use it all the time. Guess I just have a large glass roof now :(

That's funny, pretty sure I have never used my sunroof. It's just there shining sun into my eyes or being noisy.

you used the packaging from a harbor freight wrench set to install your GSMCB? [emoji38]

also, what year car and which brace? housemusic has been looking to install one too (also H6).

The fuel pressure regulator on the 2005 3.0r is different than the lgt so I needed a bracket to hold it in place. Couple holes and she is all good.

This brace is for the LGT non-VDC from grimmspeed.

Did some progress on my overland wannabe 'rig' :lol:

Swapped hitch receiver from 1 1/4 to 2". Also primed and painted the stowaway2 platform I got for super cheap on craiglist. Next is to install the awning on the Yakima bars + skybox + bikes and see how everything fit. I will probably do a test drive with the whole family in the car with added weight to see how it handles.

May leave next week for a 3 weeks trip. Do you guys have any suggestion on good outback brake pads that I could get at advanced auto/autozone and stuff like that? Don't have time to buy online anymore :(.

gah. when i did my oil change last week, i pulled out my Fumoto valve i've never installed (orddered last august...). Low and behold, it's mis-labeled and is a F-109N and not a F-105N. so yeah, fits like a hotdog down a hallway.

and can't return, but making a fuss about shipping the wrong part.

:spin:

now to order a new one and wait for my next oil change (next august...)

(i'm kidding on the 12 month oil change, BTW...;))

EDIT: jk, looks like after a few people, I'm able to send back the F-109N for a F-105N. yay!

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Getting a little closer. Brakes are all together now and I just finished installing the Grimmspeed MC brace. Not setup for H6 from the factory but that was easily fixed. Time to finish bleeding.

[ATTACH]267695[/ATTACH]

I have one waiting in my garage that I still need to install. Might just sell it as it's just collecting dust :(

Did another oil change this weekend. It seems to run smoother after. 4K on this round.

Need to get a new grocery bag hook. Snapped one since it opened from a plazma TV slipped into it while driving up to EDH E waste drop off.

Delivered 30 Tower PC, 6 Polycom HDX codec and three large format TV in one pass.

Her butt was a little saggy, but she made it. Have to remind myself it's not a truck.

I did an oil change before I went to the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe last weekend and it’s looking like I’m going to need another this upcoming weekend.

One thing I forgot about running E85/Flex Fuel is that I’ll need to switch from Motul 8100 Xcess to 300V and bump up oil changes to 1500 miles.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IKCYFJ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_jyrABb8AF0194

Archived