LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sucks! Have you guys tried the Aqua Net trick when attaching it? And are you using T-bolt clamps? I had problems blowing off silicon couplers on my WRX until I did those things.

I haven’t tried that yet, but I do remember that being the trick with installing grips on bike handlebars. Also, it works for accentuating your sticky dash when you go in to the dealer for a warranty replacement. ;)

I bought some Murray Constant Tension clamps from Sgt. Gator’s EBay store and swapped them into my GS TMIC kit for Cobb Surgeline to use when they did my TMIC / 16G install. No issues yet after driving the piss out of the car for a season at the track. These might be the ticket for you guys?

I bought some Murray Constant Tension clamps from Sgt. Gator’s EBay store and swapped them into my GS TMIC kit for Cobb Surgeline to use when they did my TMIC / 16G install. No issues yet after driving the piss out of the car for a season at the track. These might be the ticket for you guys?

Do you know what size they were?

EDIT: This one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-2-to-3-3-8-Murray-Constant-Tension-Turbo-Seal-Hose-Clamps-TSS44S30EP/182853099995?epid=1637256385&hash=item2a92e4e1db:g:BKEAAOSw-FZXjxeF

I bought 2 each of these Murray Dual Bead Super sealing clamps. Not sure if the ebay item # is still valid, assume it is?

I was replacing few other clamps in the engine bay as well so you'll have to measure to see what you need. Lots of options for sizes so I just picked something that was going to be in the sweet spot of the range, but leaning a bit towards the shorter side so I wouldn't have tons of tail.

1-3/16" to 2-1/8" item #182212863227

2-7/16" to 3-3/8" item #182212953476

1-11/16" to 2-5/8" item #182212886870

Today I missed my old outback. Someone sent me a craigslist ad of one like my old one, but they are asking wayyyyyyy way too much.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/2005-subaru-outback-xt-25l/6705226756.html

"The engine starts every time."

Oh it does! WOW! SOLD! :lol:

How did it run after that?

After dropping off my friend back in San Jose, it wouldn’t restart so I roll started it in reverse on her driveway. I checked the connection on the crank position sensor when I got back to my dad’s place, where I’m staying down here, and it seemed like it was solidly connected so I unplugged and plugged it back in just to make sure. It was fine tonight, with no CELs or starting issues.

Also just hit 103k and "needs a timing belt", so, it's only 3 years overdue for it.

"timing belt replacement recommended"

:lol: I guess the whole "car starts every time!" is also optional for the future owner.

Sadly, most OBXT's are falling more and more into the hands of these kinds of owners as their prices depreciate into a particular price range...

Just received my new OEM stock mid-pipe (y pipe). Looks nice and shiny. Question though: I would like to keep it from rusting. What would you recommend me to spray on it to prevent rust?
VHT flameproof does a pretty good job but you do have to re-apply every couple of years. Be sure to use acetone to clean the pipe first.

Good to know. Do you know of any other products where you can just apply it once and forget about it?
In my experience I haven't found anything that survives under the car besides powdercoating with ceramic such as cerakote. The VHT does well enough that going under the car and spraying the problem spots (y-pipe) each or every other year is easy enough.

Used the handle bar riser tube from a horded Razor push scooter to make a longer hard splice tube for the GS BOV hose connection.

Only went in to check oil level, low again, coming due for a OC anyway.

Noticed the BOV hose connection had separated at the splice. Was having a hard time getting a bite on the free range racing BOV hose. Needed more hard tube material for both sides to get a bite with these clamps. Luckily I refused to bin the scooters after the kids stopped riding them more than a decade ago. Perfect OD dimension and added .5" to the length of the tube provided by GS. Well see how it holds up.

@bonbon where are the pics from your road trip. I want to see your towing set-up.

I know I know :redface:. I planned to have a separate thread where I'll post several pics and videos with the fun times and little drama we encountered. Laptop just died on me though. So, just bought another one. Once I get it, I'll create the thread and then should be able to post pics and videos.

Let me put it this way though. I am now eyeing at either that spacetrailer I mentioned in the past, or a jeep grand cherokee diesel (250HP, 420 FT lbs of torque, 27-34 mpg highway, air suspension to raise/lower the ride, 4x4, etc..). Although questioning the engine reliability and stuff.. So I've been lurking at the jeep forum.

In any case, still love our car. But we've been hitting its limitations more and more now.

Archived