LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty bsure I've fallen victim to the bad torque converter "shudder". Now the question is how do I bring this up to the dealership in regards to SOA helping me with replacement. I just rolled over 70k yesterday.

Number: 16-74-09

Date: 03/18/09

Applicability:

2008~09MY Legacy/Outback 2.5L Turbo, 5AT and 3.0L, 5AT

2008~09MY Tribeca 3.6L, 5AT Subject:

5AT Torque Converter Shudder/Vibration Introduction

If you encounter a vehicle that has a shudder/vibration which could be felt in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear during slight acceleration, it may be caused by the transmission torque converter during lockup operation. A countermeasure was made to the final machining process of the sliding surface for the lock up*clutch*to provide more stabilization and eliminate the shudder/vibration.

I have had a few of those moments passing people on the 4. "Pretty sure my speedo said 110 that's only 55 over the speed limit, oops."

Although with a DOM I can't really imagine how much quicker you reach those speeds. How does your suspension feel at greater than legal speeds?

I need to do something to my suspension. I don't really like the height it's at. I think I want to raise my car back up slightly. I lowered it thinking I would be doing track days....but realistically that's not going to happen. I'll probably use my 3/4" front spacer and a 1inch rear spacer to get the height I want. I need to figure out low profile nuts to use to replace the front studs I think. Last time I used bolts and it was terrible getting them loose. I need to somehow bolt the bolts on (low profile nuts and cut out a cavity in the spacer for them?) so they can be removed.

I need to do something to my suspension. I don't really like the height it's at. I think I want to raise my car back up slightly. I lowered it thinking I would be doing track days....but realistically that's not going to happen. I'll probably use my 3/4" front spacer and a 1inch rear spacer to get the height I want. I need to figure out low profile nuts to use to replace the front studs I think. Last time I used bolts and it was terrible getting them loose. I need to somehow bolt the bolts on (low profile nuts and cut out a cavity in the spacer for them?) so they can be removed.

What springs do you have in the front?

That booger is a PITA to get on the first time. BTW how do you like the IAG AOS and what one did you pick? Street or Competition? Need to do an AOS on my setup but havne't jumped yet on anything. IAG seems to be the best solution but I'm not a huge fan of their mounting option for the legacy chassis.

I think this is the third or fourth time it has come off on me, so when my car got sluggish on the freeway and then stalled when I came to a stop I knew exactly what it was when I popped the hood.

I went with the IAG street AOS. I think they require it for the warranty on their block but I would have done it regardless. The mounting is super tight but Surgeline got to install it when the motor was out so I’m sure that made it easier.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the bending break lines and relocating the wire harness connection.

But their solution seems to be the best option for a heated can that will return oil to the block. I'm sick of puking oil into my intake.

Bi yearly return to stock is not my idea of a great time, but it may be my best option as it seems.

Nice to see someone was able to stuff this in with the GS TMIC.

And I popped off the cobra hose again, and on the same 280/85 interchange but going the opposite direction as this morning. Luckily I limped to the Chevron at the first off ramp and fixed it under their lights in about 5 minutes.

And I popped off the cobra hose again, and on the same 280/85 interchange but going the opposite direction as this morning. Luckily I limped to the Chevron at the first off ramp and fixed it under their lights in about 5 minutes.

Is the cobra hose the one that goes to the throttle body?

Mine was incessantly popping off over the last couple weeks. Like multiple times a day. The only solution was to get a new hose as the old one was "worn out". My guess is this will be a common problem for grimmspeed and only get worse for more customers.

Is the cobra hose the one that goes to the throttle body?

Mine was incessantly popping off over the last couple weeks. Like multiple times a day. The only solution was to get a new hose as the old one was "worn out". My guess is this will be a common problem for grimmspeed and only get worse for more customers.

That’s the one! Mine was just fiddled with by Surgeline when they installed the sensor in my TMIC for the hybrid speed density tune.

This is good to know guys! Thanks for the heads up.

Just installed this TMIC a couple weeks back so now I'll be sure to have a nut driver for the clamp in the car.

Also ordered some additional rubber from GS to cover the front of the splitter. 21" to help keep the splitter from slapping the Madrig hood scoop while closing the hood or heavy bumps. Well see if it helps.

Then I can finally cut and place the new heat shield back on the hood. What was interesting is the adhesive dope used to bond/buffer the hood to the hood structure had let go over the years at all locations above the turbo. Stuffed some Ultra black in each of these locations. Although it was not rattling yet I could see it going there at some point.

Archived