LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V2

Two weeks ago today, had an IAG AOS installed. Over the course of the week, the wagon never seemed to get out of its "re-learning" phase after having the ECU reset. Rich and sometimes rough idle accompanied with some rather severe hesitations during acceleration.

Nothing looked suspect in the engine bay, no CELs.

Tuesday of last week, took it back to the shop. Their investigation yielded that the car was stuck in closed loop due to the rich idle (as well as target value in a table being miss entered 14.1 versus 14.7 or vice versa) and the rich idle was due to a vacuum leaked that was inadvertently fixed during the AOS install which had been there for sometime and was tuned over/out during my last road tune.

Further investigation of the tune also yielded some suspect methodology.

Scheduled a re-tune for this past Friday. Base run came out 311/309, final run came out 365/391 :).

Tuner finished up the road tune and asked me to drive around the (country) block while he logged.

Cruising in 6th at @ 2500rpm and the dies. Can't get it to restart.

CEL for crank position sensor and both cam position sensors.

Trailered back to the shop, pop off passenger timing cover...no timing belt.

Happy New Year! Didn't even get to go WOT with it before it died :sad:

Found some definitive markings on piston 2 at least of valve contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Daaaaaaang. That sucks man. Failed timing belt tensioner (happened to me)? very old timing belt? or improper installation of the timing belt guides (i.e. too close to the belt, thereby causing excessive rubbing--happened to me too :mad:).

Daaaaaaang. That sucks man. Failed timing belt tensioner (happened to me)? very old timing belt? or improper installation of the timing belt guides (i.e. too close to the belt, thereby causing excessive rubbing--happened to me too :mad:).

You went through all that and never ruined a motor? Wow

I know. Amazing huh. And this happened on two different cars during some crazy situations (driving across European countries pulling a 2500 lbs trailer during winter in Scandinavia :eek: and the other one while camping with the family 3 hours away from home). It was pretty stressful to say the least. But somehow valves did not 'kiss' the pistons in both scenarios..

:ohhh:

Sorry to hear this...

That sucks sorry to hear. When was the timing belt changed / what timing belt did you have on?

Not entirely too sure on the cause yet, I left the shop after seeing the tbelt was missing.

It was last changed about 50k ago.

It's not a gates blue belt, unsure of make at this time, may be OEM.

Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then, I doubt the belt went bad just with 50k on it.

My bet is either on too tight timing belt guides, or failed timing belt tensioner. Although if it'd be the latter, it would be obvious as the tensioner would have sheared from its mounting location. Either way, it really sucks man.

2 adults, 1 infant, 2 dogs, Christmas presents. Car was crowded. I got 18mpg on average. I need to get a roof box. This basket / bag thing is frustrating.

http://i.imgur.com/so9AkVR.jpg

Also, really need to try out the headlight restoration kit I have. Lenses are super yellow.

2 adults, 1 infant, 2 dogs, Christmas presents. Car was crowded. I got 18mpg on average. I need to get a roof box. This basket / bag thing is frustrating.

http://i.imgur.com/so9AkVR.jpg

Also, really need to try out the headlight restoration kit I have. Lenses are super yellow.

I have a couple extra sets of headlights if you want to retrofit a set and have your stock ones to put back on if you decide to sell.

My shift boot was really ratty and my shift knob was worn smooth when I bought the car, so I replaced both of them tonight. I got a vinyl shift boot with red stitching, a billet aluminum shift boot retainer, and a black delrin shift knob. The knob isn't quite as big as I'd like, but it was only $11, so I can easily replace it without feeling bad!

Also pictured is my bluetooth adapter. I'll be running the cord through the center console instead of leaving it loose pretty soon.

31940830022_bea43492ed_b.jpgNew shift boot and knob by Jayson Carey, on Flickr

quick question that doesnt deserve its own thread,

A rear cv axle on my 2.5i ob is bad. The replacements i got from autozone that were supposed to fit my car did not. The inner splines were wrong.

Is it safe to assume that legacy cv axles will work for an outback? The pictures look the same as whats actually in my car

http://i.imgur.com/mhDybUF.jpg?1

Yes, that is correct. The drivetrain in the Outback(save for gear ratio) is identical to the Legacy. Only difference is that it has 1" subframe spacers.

awesome thank you. i dont know why every parts site is wrong :confused:

I live in CO and drifted corners in my 3.0 OB as much as I could on my way into work. That ass slides out pretty nicely with snow tires! No real upgrades yet aside from the Leptronix aux-in unit along with a "buck converter" and bluetooth receiver off Amazon. I'll have to snap a picture of the dash once the wires get tucked away nicely, one of these days.. Booty shot because first post and snow!

http://i.imgur.com/JNI3Ejt.jpg

Has anyone seen this? Pretty cool. (Cooler to me because they're testing my exact wagon)

yes. I saw that a few years back. Nostalgia :lol:

Ran it half off the road nodding off before a corner today. No damage and I need to go to bed early tonight.

:eek:

I just got my car back from GST and it feels a million times better with the Dom1.5XTR vs. the AVO380!

330hp

323tq

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv87/JoshEAllen/0AC0E0C5-4E9A-4DDA-B5B5-0F3D43314E40.jpg

Archived