LegacyGT.com

Subaru Lego & Outb Recall 2005-2008

Yeah, mine was done from underneath, as well. My service advisor said they were concerned about the age of all the plastic in the dash, and they had learned how to just take the lower part of the dash out, and work up from underneath. I think that made it a little trickier to do, but I was glad they did it that way. There doesn't seem to be any new rattles, and everything seems to have been put back together properly and with no damage.

My local dealer, Subaru of Kennesaw, had put in my order for the airbag parts on January 28th, and they came in on February 9th. Took my car in yesterday morning, and got it back this morning. Had them replace both rear wheel bearings while they had my car. They actually worked on it until about 8pm last night so it would be ready this morning, pretty awesome.

I received the official recall notice via email yesterday, and the snail mail notice came today.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear lord. Based on my past experiences with my local dealer, this is precisely what I expect. I'm going to learn from your experience though, and just walk away if I can't speak with the tech. If it's too hard for them to allow me to do that, then I'll take it somewhere else.

*gets neurotic just thinking about it*

" I get a call saying she can't find any information on the TSB. I find it and supply her with it " Do you have a link for that TSB? I would like to present that at the time of my recall repair before they start the work once im notified that the parts are in stock. Thanks...

I met with the service manager today. Extremely nice and understanding guy. From the get go he accepted responsibility for the issues and promised to correct them. He said he will personally oversee the repair. He asked to keep the car for an additional day to ensure time was taken to do things properly. The TSB will be done also. I'll update once the car is done.

I also found damage to the finish on the shift knob and the globe box, and my backup camera isn't connected.

I called local dealer today. Was told that all the airbag parts are numbered to your VIN and they will call/email you when your part is available.

Sounds opposite what I have been reading here. Thinking I will call another dealer later today.

I was told by the dealer that repaired mine, they couldn't order anymore until April and mine was the last till then. They had done another and had to replace the entire dash pad since it was damaged to bad in the process.

They replace the air bag by dropping the lower part of the dash.

I got this done this week and had a horrible experience. I won't go into all the details because it makes my head hurt. The Service Manager apologized and has promised to correct all my issues, so I won't trash the dealer yet... TBD.

I was told that this is true for '05/'06 modes only. My entire dash was removed (which was the source of my problems) in my '08. Service Manager said they are only getting compensated for 1.5 hrs labor regardless. I'm confident that many dealers aren't putting their best guys on these jobs because of this... a big mistake, given how difficult the task is.

The Service Manager also said that because of the age and "condition" of the dashes that it's nearly impossible to get them off without damage. When I pressed him on what he meant by "condition", he talked about how many of them were getting very soft and sticky... a problem many people on here have been complaining about for years. He said Subaru is aware of the problem and is going to issue an extended warranty to replace the faulty dashes. I think Subaru may be forced to do this, given the number of dashes that will be damaged by this recall.

I have been promised a "new & improved" dash.

I called local dealer today. Was told that all the airbag parts are numbered to your VIN and they will call/email you when your part is available.

Sounds opposite what I have been reading here. Thinking I will call another dealer later today.

Hmmm, when my local dealer last called me back about setting up my appointment she started off telling me they had just got 2 in, then paused. When she came back she told me I'm now on a list, and will be called once mine eventually comes in. Maybe that's why?

The service manager I spoke with today said Subaru is overwhelmed with this recall. The most of the techs aren't familiar with 10 year old legacy's and the deterioration of the dashes makes it more prone to damage. My dash pad is definitely showing its age

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Do you know if there is an updated TSB for the later model years?

This is the only other Ive found.

Noise from Combination Meter (Revised)

Service Bulletin #08-34-05R

I very seriously expect a lot of damaged cars and mad enthusiasts due to this recall.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/2c391a996326bbe466188588c09ef035.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/40251611fde3057ade507144c874f52b.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160219/117efd1e221610a2309c7fd410bebc7d.jpg

I got my recall letter earlier this week. The letter stated the airbag parts aren't currently available and I will receive another letter when the parts come in.

I got the same letter

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Just got the recall and it mentioning not to put anyone in the passenger seat until the parts do come in, which is impossible since I have two car seats in back and a wife to transport. Service is closed already for the two closest dealers currently. (was away for work so didn't open recall until today).

Has anyone had the dealer deactivate the airbag until the parts come in?

Just got the recall and it mentioning not to put anyone in the passenger seat until the parts do come in, which is impossible since I have two car seats in back and a wife to transport. Service is closed already for the two closest dealers currently. (was away for work so didn't open recall until today).

I just got the notification in the mail, but had previously just gone to the dealership last week to get on their list.

They said it would probably be a month or more.

Apparently my car had the rear brake line recall/TSB open too, so that's gonna get done while it's there. Curious if they'll offer me a loaner, and what it'll be.

If the weather doesn't suck, I'll probably just lower property values with the accord (Which is old enough to not be effected by the recall) for a couple days.

The scope of this recall is insane. You have to wonder if Takata is going to be propped up and kept in business for the sole purpose of service this recall, and what the company's future looks like after that.

i have the email & letter. I'm curious which local dealer will be tasked with doing this work. The dealer I bought the car from, dropped me after I brought the car in for a track inspection. As they were damaging the car every time I brought it in, it seemed about time to sever that relationship anyway.

Talked to McDaniels in Columbia, SC yesterday. They don't have the parts, period. They're not even sure when they'll get them in since it's such a massive recall (I can sympathize, Nissan was horrible about telling me when I could expect recall parts when I was running our Parts Department). Apparently I'm number 18 on their waiting list, and I've a feeling it'll be 3 to 4 months before I have a chance to get this taken care of. I guess we'll be taking the 08 Silverado on the family outings until then? On the plus side...at least they realized the later models were affected too, instead of one of us having to find out the hard way.

i have the email & letter. I'm curious which local dealer will be tasked with doing this work. The dealer I bought the car from, dropped me after I brought the car in for a track inspection. As they were damaging the car every time I brought it in, it seemed about time to sever that relationship anyway.

Let me know where you go. I have been to Walker's (for my Impreza) and their service department was OK. Sales Department can suck it. My g/f and I got the big blowoff when we went to buy a Forester for her. Scarff did the brake line recall on my Legacy and we bought the Forester there. I have been happy with them. But they essentially blew me off when I mentioned the airbag recall, stating they didn't have parts and wouldn't order them. I bought my Impreza at Chaplin's, and I'm not adverse to driving it up there if they do a good job on the recall work.

Let me know where you go. I have been to Walker's (for my Impreza) and their service department was OK. Sales Department can suck it. My g/f and I got the big blowoff when we went to buy a Forester for her. Scarff did the brake line recall on my Legacy and we bought the Forester there. I have been happy with them. But they essentially blew me off when I mentioned the airbag recall, stating they didn't have parts and wouldn't order them. I bought my Impreza at Chaplin's, and I'm not adverse to driving it up there if they do a good job on the recall work.

That's if his has an engine it in before dealerships start getting parts :hide:

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Call around - I could have picked pretty much any dealership in the area to have my work done.

Ouch. Call 1-800-SUB-ARU3. Talk to someone about the airbag recall, and complain that it's not feasible. They'll try calling around in the area and see if anyone has the parts, or can get them.

I asked about them possibly disabling the airbag, and they said they couldn't do that. On the other hand, if you're somewhat handy and not totally electrically illiterate, PM me about instructions on how to disable it yourself (if it's like my '05). Takes 10 minutes and some 2-ohm resistors. I have a bunch of left over 1-ohm resistors from when I temporarily disabled it - I'll mail some over your way, if you want.

Archived