LegacyGT.com

Subaru Lego & Outb Recall 2005-2008

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy do I have some venting to tell you guys.... I had the absolute worst experience at Autobarn Subaru in Countryside, IL.

I called them a few weeks back to make an appointment for the recall, and they took down my VIN and said "oh sure, bring it in Monday morning, takes about an hour and 45 minutes!" Great, I though to myself, not too bad at all. So I got there 7:00 sharp Monday morning and the porter promptly takes it back to the service bay to be worked on. So I sat down, talked with the service writer, and broke out my favorite book; A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Cool. So I read one chapter, two, three, four, five chapters and check my watch. It was now 10:00... so I ask the service guy "oh, were sorry, It'll be done in a minute" he says.

A whole hour passes.

I finally hear my exhaust in the service bay, assume its done. Nope. They just wanted to rev my cold engine to redline a few times. Awesome.

The porter finally pulls my car up, and the service writer calls me over. and I kid you not, this was the conversation: "So, unfortunately, we ordered the wrong part, and you're going to have to come back. The correct part actually takes about a days worth of labor, so we'll have to get you a loaner. And, truth be told, Subaru hasn;t even manufactured the correct replacement for it yet. How did you hear about this again?"

"Well, it's been known on the forums for quite a while, and SOA has a direct link that will tell you whether or not your VIN is affected by the recall."

"Oh really? We hadn't even heard of this recall yet, Subaru hasn't even sent us the technical documents for the Legacy platform."

I stood there, flaberghasted, for a second. Then I chuckled as he told me "it's still perfectly safe to drive", got my paperwork, and rushed off to work so I wouldn;t miss any more pay. I had asked them to give me a quote on replacing the rear upper-inner control arm bushing (laziness and it's cold) and took a look at it when I got to work. $287 for a new upper control arm and $300 for labor. I chuckled some more.

The cherry topping on this cream pie? I get home that day to discover on my floor mat:

-2 very familiar interior (panel filter/glovebox area) screws

-Chunks of broken plastic that appear to be threaded holes which cracked off from over torquing

-3 zip ties

I'm not taking it back there. I might be safer risking the airbag over their labor.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I'll probably take mine to Dick Hanna too, eventually. I still haven't received my letter for this recall yet. I really don't like the thought of leaving it there, just them taking things apart is worrying enough. Hate to think of my fresh engine getting abused.

Maybe I should make an appointment once I get a few more miles on it, but before the tune, so it still has the rev limiter and low boost when it goes in.

I'll probably take mine to Dick Hanna too, eventually. I still haven't received my letter for this recall yet. I really don't like the thought of leaving it there, just them taking things apart is worrying enough. Hate to think of my fresh engine getting abused.

Maybe I should make an appointment once I get a few more miles on it, but before the tune, so it still has the rev limiter and low boost when it goes in.

Dick Hannah did good. They were up front and honest with me about my custom gauges, radio and other custom dash parts potentionally causing an issue and finished the work when they said it would be done.

They also knew the parts were different between a legacy and impreza and that it is a much more daunting task on the legacy.

Aaand thats why i never let anyone touch my car

This is such bs

Im about to disconnect or cut my passenger airbag

They got seatbelts....

I might have some stickers made that say "Front Toward Enemy", and put one on the passenger side dash.

Yeah, seems to be a similar story all around. In my case, Subaru of NA called around and gave the wrong part # (I think the '04 Impreza part, which is not hard to find by now) and so even though I called 2x to make sure they had the part, they had the wrong part. And of course, they couldn't check AT THE (*@$ beginning of the service, no, 3-4 hours later "well, we couldn't do the airbag recall, because we didn't have the right part". But they did have time to chase the vacuum leak I asked them to look at. They were somewhat nice about it and waived the $75 charge for that, but still.

Similar situation with our Dodge dealer for the Grand Caravan and an ignition module recall. "First, we have to look at the car in detail to make sure we know which part it is, because they didn't all get the same part." I felt SOOOO much like calling BS on their part, because they (*&@#$ know which car has which part. But, I wanted to be nice and play their game, so I let them look at the car for 2 hours or so, at which point they gave me $1.5K of "recommended service" - oh, and by the way, the part's on backorder. My mechanic did that work for not even 1/2 of what they quoted. At this point, I was supposed to be 3rd in line (this was in July) for when the parts started arriving. I finally called back last week to find out somehow we had dropped off the list without as much as one phone call. I guess once they realized I'm not going to let them rip me off for other services, they just play the passive-aggressive game of "sorry, we're not sure what happened".

I'm willing to pay fair prices for fair work. I just don't feel like dropping $700 at 30k for a recommended service that includes spark plugs, which the owner's manual says are good until 105k miles (a different Dodge dealer).. They basically threw every "small maintenance" item together, like coolant flush, etc and said "well, we recommend it" for 30k service. Wow, just wow.

Stealership is right..

So, in the meantime, I figured out how to bypass the passenger side airbag. Much simpler than expected really, after wasting a lot of time on false leads.

Seatbelt >> Seatbelt + possible bomb

Now we can all drive in the car again..

So, in the meantime, I figured out how to bypass the passenger side airbag. Much simpler than expected really, after wasting a lot of time on false leads.

Seatbelt >> Seatbelt + possible bomb

Now we can all drive in the car again..

Aaaand how did you do this?

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

I'd scheduled my appt for today last week and the lady I talked to told me that the parts were in stock. I got a call this morning from one of the techs who looked at today's schedule and called me to let me know that they don't have the legacy part in stock and that there are 3 in the country with a lot on backorder.

So I think Fairfield Subaru knows what they are doing and will get it done properly. The tech said he'd give me a call when the parts do eventually come in.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I have an appointment for mine next week at Hannah. When I made the appointment they said they scheduled it out that far so they could get the parts in first.

They did tell me I would have to leave the car there all day, but I was also told they would NOT provide me with a loaner. :mad:

I just read this article and I'm pretty set on disabling the airbag until my dealer has enough experience/airbags in stock.

In that case, police opened a homicide investigation because they believed the deceased driver had been stabbed multiple times in the head and neck before the victim crashed her car. The wounds were actually the result of a Takata airbag exploding, sending metal and plastic fragments into her body.

That's freaking nuts! :eek:

I read one post saying that I should be able to disable the passenger weight by unplugging the white connector, which should keep the passenger airbag off, anyone try it?

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Ahh the single life.

Sorry honey, you need to sit in the back, it's safer.

Pretty certain if I said that to the girl I've been talking to and seeing I'd get slapped. We typically take her car though since I don't want mine to break. And the roads suck so ground clearance to go hiking anywhere is non-existent.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived