LegacyGT.com

Subaru Lego & Outb Recall 2005-2008

Same here. You would think an exploding airbag that kills would be a top priority. What do I know, though?

It's not just Subaru cars affected. There is a massive amount of cars and Takata is even teaming up with other companies to product new parts. Gonna take time

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just called again, and Fairway Subaru in Hazleton PA just got the parts in. the soonest the could get me in is May 12th, which will delay a trip to Florida. I'm not complaining though as the increased safety is worth the delay. The wife may not like it, but it's her side of the car.

Just got my car back from dropping it off Friday. Hopped in, and right off the bat the entire hvac/audio, and clock units no longer power up. They said it was because of my aftermarket Bluetooth setup and the techs couldn't figure it out. I agreed to take it at home and try my hand at it. On the way, my Bluetooth was auto connecting and playing on my phone...

They had not really messed with my aftermarket setup at all, in fact it looked like they didn't touch it at all.

Back at the dealer, my buddy is looking at it and now I don't have power to my interior lighting and my locks stopped working...

Diagnosis: Malfunctioning BIU (body integrated unit) due to the recall install.

Someone borked it up...and it's a shame cuz they did a great job keeping the interior damage free. Now they have to do it again and tear more apart.

Lessons learned: ALWAYS take photos of your car before going in. I showed them 1 photo of the unit powered on with the date stamp and they conceded that it was their fault.

Aftermarket additions to the hvac/audio unit may give the dealer an excuse when things stop working... it may be in your interest to remove things before it goes in

Just got my car back from dropping it off Friday. Hopped in, and right off the bat the entire hvac/audio, and clock units no longer power up. They said it was because of my aftermarket Bluetooth setup and the techs couldn't figure it out. I agreed to take it at home and try my hand at it. On the way, my Bluetooth was auto connecting and playing on my phone...

They had not really messed with my aftermarket setup at all, in fact it looked like they didn't touch it at all.

Back at the dealer, my buddy is looking at it and now I don't have power to my interior lighting and my locks stopped working...

Diagnosis: Malfunctioning BIU (body integrated unit) due to the recall install.

Someone borked it up...and it's a shame cuz they did a great job keeping the interior damage free. Now they have to do it again and tear more apart.

Lessons learned: ALWAYS take photos of your car before going in. I showed them 1 photo of the unit powered on with the date stamp and they conceded that it was their fault.

Aftermarket additions to the hvac/audio unit may give the dealer an excuse when things stop working... it may be in your interest to remove things before it goes in

Ugh. So my JDM double-DIN/HVAC setup w/ a Kenwood double-DIN navi head unit w/ XM antenna + wiring to a backup camera, my 3-gauge center console pod and Block8head custom vent pod for my AEM X-Series UEGO WBO2 controller/gauge, might encounter some issues when I get around to having the airbag recall done. Can't wait. Good thing I rarely ever have a passenger in my car (we use my wife's Acura TL for family outings). I might wait until just before I sell the car (if I ever do) before having this work done :/

Yikes! That's gonna be daunting for them to encounter. . .if you value the setup I'd remove it myself instead of the dealer.

Most of my wiring is behind the hvac unit and off to the fuse box and it didn't look touched. . .those areas don't see much action I assume.

However anything above the dash and wiring to the right of the console I would most certainly take off myself (gauges, etc).

Or you could wait and sell the car haha

Yeah, a couple of days later I noticed they cracked the passenger-side vent frame. Still works, just has a couple cracks it didn't have before. Thankfully, I'm not OCD about appearance - the rest of the car looks well used too :-)

I just got my brake line erosion taken care of when I went in to have the dash inspected for the dash recall. They said my dash fits the recall, and when the new one comes in, they will replace the airbag as well. Currently, I was 6 months-1year out for airbag replacement, but looks like I'll have it within the next month. So I'll be done with all 3 recalls soon hopefully.

I got the call form my dealer today that the airbag ordered for my car has finally arrived. They still say that they'll need the car a full day, but this time they also told me a loaner vehicle will be provided at no cost. Now to worry about my double-din stereo, gauges, and other custom wiring... My dash is in good shape, no sticky areas, but it has started rattling occasionally since being rear-ended a few months ago. I should be able to talk to the tech when I take it in Wednesday.

I got the call form my dealer today that the airbag ordered for my car has finally arrived. They still say that they'll need the car a full day, but this time they also told me a loaner vehicle will be provided at no cost. Now to worry about my double-din stereo, gauges, and other custom wiring... My dash is in good shape, no sticky areas, but it has started rattling occasionally since being rear-ended a few months ago. I should be able to talk to the tech when I take it in Wednesday.

They said the same for me, full day and a loaner car. However, my insurance is under my name and I'm under 25, so I wonder how they'll provide me with a rental car. Should be interesting.

My center cubby was randomly popped out of the dash yesterday, really hoping it doesn't keep doing that, clipped it in pretty tight afterward.. :mad:

Haven't gotten anywhere on looking into my hazard lights not working, but I'm going to try on my own before taking it back to the dealer.

This might result in a curse, but...here's a good (but odd) outcome:

We have a 2005 5MT nonlimited-GT turbo Legacy wagon and a 2006 LGT 5EAT sedan. They both got the bag recall letters months ago, and I called and "got on the list" back then, and was told that was months and months out.

A few weeks ago, we also got the extension letters for the dash. So, I grabbed my list of TSB notes from all these years, and called the Service Dept to discuss what else we can get done, if we ever get called for the Bags. I figured that might take some lead time. Examples:

1. Wagon needed the rear liftgate struts.
  2. Sedan already had the Sunroof trim replaced at 3,202 miles, before the TSB and redesign.
  3. Sedan trip computer nearly always has ---- for elapsed time, and every time I ask for a reflash, they tell me, "We don't have time to add this to today's work order."

The customer service rep lady was really strange on the phone. I started out in, "Let's coordinate this" mode. She immediately went into defensive, "You don't have to get mad at me" mode. I had to talk her off that ledge at least two more times, as if I am soothing her, "Sorry your job is so tough, I am certain you have lots of people upset, but that isn't even why I am calling you today." blah blah; I never had to work so hard to Be the Customer and never raised my voice or my blood pressure.

In between all of this, she says, "Well, since you are so upset, I will schedule both of your cars for next week and give you someone else's parts."

What? That isn't even why I was calling. And that would make me mad, if I was that other person.

Then, she mentioned, "We'll do the sedan next week and the Outback the week after." I pointed out, it is not an Outback but a Legacy wagon. She got all upset at me for that. I simply pointed out it made no sense to give us a schedule and someone else's parts, just to find out when we get there, the parts are not for that wagon, after all.

So, both cars, bags = done. Based on the comments here, I took lots of Before photos. Haven't found anything broken, yet.

Wagon rear liftgate struts = done.

Sedan going back next week for Sunroof trim and new Trip computer; they stated their records showed a Reflash wasn't going to solve the elapsed time issue. It makes me nervous that they will dive into the dash-cubby again, but hopefully, things keep going well.

Anyone who's had the recall done, has the dealer broken the lower clip on the side panel on the driver's side? Just curious since I know it is prone to breaking if you just pop it off like with other panels. I've resorted to pushing the clip out through the fuse cover after breaking the first one.

I'm happy to report back that my visit to the dealer for my airbag recall went very well.

Previously I said my dash was in good shape, with no sticky areas. And that was mostly true, no sticky spots, but it did have one shinny spot at the corner of the vents. Early signs? And my dash has always had an uneven appearance, really dry looking on the passenger side. I've never used Armor-all on it, just the 303 Protectant for the last couple years and some Meguiars no-gloss cleaner for the years or so before that. Of coarse a couple days after saying my dash was good something happened. I have a gopro mount on my dash that's been there for a few weeks that I decided to remove. I didn't really need to heat it much, it was already warm from being in the sun and it started peeling up easily. I really don't think I could have been more careful or done it any slower, but after lifting it over halfway off a chunk of the dash started coming off with it. Great, so I have about a quarter size piece of my dash stuck to the sticky mount, and as I try to pull that off it mostly crumbles into much smaller pieces and dust. So I go find my dash warranty extension letter and give the dealer a call to ask about it and have them inspect my dash to see if it could be covered when I take it in. I was hoping for the best since it's sun damage that made it brittle, but not really expecting too much. Good news is they are replacing it and have ordered one, these are currently unavailable, on back order.

I don't think they removed my dash for the work, as they did get Subaru to approve a couple extra hours for the work due to my Double-din touch screen, VBG1, and some steering wheel control wires.

I took a few picture before dropping it off, but so far no complaints, everything seems good. They added less than half a mile to it.

I had a 2016 Crosstek to drive while they worked on my car, actually had it over night since I was working late. This one was dark gray with cloth interior w/orange stitching. Overall I like it, but the CVT is the glaring downside while driving it. It feels a little under powered, naturally, but the CVT may make that worse. Trying to accelerate once past 40mph is much disappointment.

The Dick Hannah Subaru service department was very nice and everyone was great to work with. They even asked me if I wanted the complementary car wash afterwards, since they thought I might not, which they were right :)

Anyone who's had the recall done, has the dealer broken the lower clip on the side panel on the driver's side? Just curious since I know it is prone to breaking if you just pop it off like with other panels. I've resorted to pushing the clip out through the fuse cover after breaking the first one.

My lower clip was already broke...

I don't think they removed the dash in either car; the Evening news had a Subie and the tech was holding the lower dash, with the Cabin Air Filter assembly upside down, but the background showed the dash still intact. I think they pulled the console apart and worked from there, across and under the dash, and not pulling the dash from above.

I got some funny looks when I first delivered each car and took interior photos as the service guy was walking around inspecting the outside.

When we got the wagon back, I noticed part of the middle console faceplate, around the part that goes up from the environmental controls to the radio, right side, wasn't quite flush with the outer edge. I pushed it a bit and it snapped in, so that was fine with me.

The sedan seemed fine, after the airbag. But, after the Trip Computer and sunroof trim, the Cubby door was obviously inset on the right. It opened and closed fine, but was snapped in too far or something. So, one trip to drop it off; one trip to go it it, aborted while "we need to send it back to be looked at" and then another trip to get it.

They were pretty apologetic. And taking photos is not a stupid thing to do, especially in their presence.

And I still needed to take a slim ruler and actually tuck the raw edge of the headliner into the new sunroof trim, because it wasn't really tucked in all the way. Did that at home. It does seem more stable; the other would sag when it got warm in the car.

The search for a dealer continues...

Winrahr - noticed you're in Pittsburgh as well. Dropped my LGT off last night for the airbag recall at Baierl Subaru in Wexford (20 minutes north of downtown). I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Any work I've had done with these guys has been pretty good and their reviews seem to indicate the same.

On another note they loaned me a 2016 Crosstrek with Eyesight - like others noted it has a horrendous transmission but seems to have some pretty good get-up and go from 0-30mph. After that acceleration is abysmal, though. The first time Eyesight intervened freaked me the F out, too. I was coasting at about 20mph behind someone who was making a left - I knew they would make the turn by the time I got to the light but the Eyesight did not and slammed on the brakes 30 feet back from the car.

Anyone else, is it worth mentioning the dash rattle to them? Has anyone had a dealer fix the rattle while in the dash for this recall?

Update: That was quick - they just called to say it is finished @ 12:25 after starting in the morning. Fingers crossed - I'll update once I pick her up after work.

Winrahr - noticed you're in Pittsburgh as well. Dropped my LGT off last night for the airbag recall at Baierl Subaru in Wexford (20 minutes north of downtown). I'll keep you updated on how it goes. Any work I've had done with these guys has been pretty good and their reviews seem to indicate the same.

On another note they loaned me a 2016 Crosstrek with Eyesight - like others noted it has a horrendous transmission but seems to have some pretty good get-up and go from 0-30mph. After that acceleration is abysmal, though. The first time Eyesight intervened freaked me the F out, too. I was coasting at about 20mph behind someone who was making a left - I knew they would make the turn by the time I got to the light but the Eyesight did not and slammed on the brakes 30 feet back from the car.

Anyone else, is it worth mentioning the dash rattle to them? Has anyone had a dealer fix the rattle while in the dash for this recall?

Update: That was quick - they just called to say it is finished @ 12:25 after starting in the morning. Fingers crossed - I'll update once I pick her up after work.

Fingers crossed. If it goes well I'm gonna do it when I come back after summer break.

Picked up the car. No issues whatsoever. I had just detailed the interior, too and everything looks just as I left it. The stock radio, nav, HVAC controls and hazard lights work just fine. Best of all - no more dash rattle! Didn't even have to ask. I'm guessing they just replaced any broken clips along the way. We'll see how long the lack of rattle holds up but for now I am quite pleased. I'll update if anything pops up.

Asked the service guy if they've been doing a lot of these recalls and he said oh yea. At first (end of 2015/beginning of 2016) the techs didn't want to go near the cars to do the airbag recall but now they all apparently fight to do so. He said at first it took a long time to do but now it's anywhere from an hour to 4 at the most. Guess it must be so fool-proof and a good way to use up a chunk of the work-day.

Picked up the car. No issues whatsoever. I had just detailed the interior, too and everything looks just as I left it. The stock radio, nav, HVAC controls and hazard lights work just fine. Best of all - no more dash rattle! Didn't even have to ask. I'm guessing they just replaced any broken clips along the way. We'll see how long the lack of rattle holds up but for now I am quite pleased. I'll update if anything pops up.

Asked the service guy if they've been doing a lot of these recalls and he said oh yea. At first (end of 2015/beginning of 2016) the techs didn't want to go near the cars to do the airbag recall but now they all apparently fight to do so. He said at first it took a long time to do but now it's anywhere from an hour to 4 at the most. Guess it must be so fool-proof and a good way to use up a chunk of the work-day.

That's good to hear. I just hope they don't screw up my aux in and gauges.

After seeing some people get good results from various dealers I felt pretty good when I dropped my 08 off tonight. I asked the service writer to please be careful as my car is like new. He said they would do the best they could. I took a bunch of pictures this morning so we'll see what happens tomorrow. I really want to be happy.

Dealer called 10:30 this morning. They did a good job on the dash, put it together well, and everything works like before. The only thing wrong was a big greasy boot print in the floor mat, and grease smeared on the gas/trunk release lever. That's easy enough to clear, so I got to be happy.

Thanks to Fairway Subaru in Hazleton PA for a pretty good job.

Archived