LegacyGT.com

Subaru Lego & Outb Recall 2005-2008

I just read this article and I'm pretty set on disabling the airbag until my dealer has enough experience/airbags in stock.

That's freaking nuts! :eek:

I read one post saying that I should be able to disable the passenger weight by unplugging the white connector, which should keep the passenger airbag off, anyone try it?

Exactly which connector? On my car there are a handful of smaller connectors that are yellow on one side and white on the other. As a quick test I disconnected the large harness that's under the middle of the seat, turned the key to the On position and sat in the passenger seat. The passenger airbag status remained Off but after a few seconds the seat belt chime started its thing. I had all doors closed and both driver and passenger seat belts fastened. W/ that big harness connected the seat belt chime remained off.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called my local dealer here in Frederick, MD and they put the part on order for me. The lady I talked to said they were not expecting any parts for at least a month maybe more.

I did ask about a loaner for when the parts come in an was told Subaru wasn't doing anything for loaners for this recall. Is this common for dealers to not give a loaner for recalls like this? Or should I wait until the time comes to drop the car off to worry about a loaner ? I just don't want to lose out on possibly two days of work.

I called my local dealer here in Frederick, MD and they put the part on order for me. The lady I talked to said they were not expecting any parts for at least a month maybe more.

I did ask about a loaner for when the parts come in an was told Subaru wasn't doing anything for loaners for this recall. Is this common for dealers to not give a loaner for recalls like this? Or should I wait until the time comes to drop the car off to worry about a loaner ? I just don't want to lose out on possibly two days of work.

When I originally scheduled my appt I was offered a loaner till I told them I'm not 21 yet. However with the way parts are going I might be 21 by the time they get parts in and should be able to get a loaner. Might also just sit at the dealer while they do it to make sure no joy riding happens!

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Afaik, passenger airbag is a 2-stage (hence the weight sensor), with 2x2 wires. I unplugged mine - I found the connector near the vent/door in the cover that pops off. Of course, I'm not advocating ANYTHING. Airbags are safety devices, similar to little hand grenades, and should not be disconnected, etc. Then you'll have to fool the computer to turn off the airbag light and allow the rest of them to work, and ideally short out the airbag wires (see nhtsa bulletin for all the details).

btw, first of of working with airbags: disconnect battery for 30 minutes before you do anything. And ground yourself, etc. The NHTSA document is FULL of precautions. It's worth a read. Not sure if this link still works: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1N4YNzKRjKEJ:www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM463413/RCRIT-14V471-1857.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I called the local dealer maybe 7-10 days ago to schedule, and they said they'd call when the part came in. That call came yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to schedule yet.

I'd take a loaner to fool around with for the day, but my office is a mile from the dealer so it won't be an issue either way. I may try to tell them I'm considering something new and see if they'll give me a car anyway.

Like others have said take a picture of the dash before the work is done. You may also want to have something with the current date on it, so they can't say the picture was taken years ago.

Also take a picture of the mileage.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just got a call from Fairfield Subaru and they have the parts in now to do the airbag recall. Scheduled my appt for Sat 2/13. Hopefully all goes well. I plan on being at the dealer the whole time to make sure no shenanigans go on with my wagon

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Like others have said take a picture of the dash before the work is done. You may also want to have something with the current date on it, so they can't say the picture was taken years ago.

Also take a picture of the mileage.

Added to original post.

Thank you

Just dropped off my car at hanlees Subaru in Napa. The guy at the service counter thought it was an easy job. Had him find a technician and I talked with him. He confirmed the dash had to be replaced and the job was a pain in the ass. I told the technician about a couple wires I added and to look out for them when removing the dash. I asked for a loaner and they did give me one. I was told 4 hour job and the car will be done by the end of the day. This was by the people at the service counter. I did not ask the actual technician about a time frame. I am pretty sure the car will not be done today. I also took pictures of the dash and noted the mileage before I took the car in.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Just dropped off my car at hanlees Subaru in Napa. The guy at the service counter thought it was an easy job. Had him find a technician and I talked with him. He confirmed the dash had to be replaced and the job was a pain in the ass.

Replaced or removed?

I believe he means removed, that's what the tech told me as well.

He also told me to remove my wideband and accessport myself for next time, as they don't get many modified cars, and the newness of their location is reflected in their techs' experience levels. That was confidence inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

I found a post that shows/explains the location of the white on white connector. I'll try to access it and test (not by crashing the car...).

Got a link? I looked under mine yesterday and couldn't figure out which one is which :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I'd also like to know for sure what I could disconnert to disable the passenger air back on my 08. I don't want my wife getting hurt from this. If your not comfortable posting it here you could PM me. Thanks.

Seeing cases of broken dashboards, would it be worth taking the dash apart before it goes to the dealer? Older plastic breaks easy, and I'd tend to be more careful the a dealer would be.

Just got my car back today. Mine looked to be the first car they did the recall to. I was told they had 2 airbags in and when I went to pick my car up they were doing a legacy wagon. The same technician that did mine is doing the other. Seems like hes the designated air bag replacement tech for this recall since hes done two now.

I have not noticed anything different, broken, weird, or off but all I did was drive it home. I took all my gauges out before I dropped it off. The only aftermarket items I had were a new wire ran from the battery to the fuel pump and the JDM double din stereo installed with a GPS antenna ran to the passenger side of the dash near that little round sensor thing.

Want to add the car had 2 more miles on it then when I dropped it off.

Got the call on Wednesday. Scheduled for Monday. Having them do the cabin air filter while they're in there.

Has anyone had issues getting them to fix the dash rattle? I ordered the 3D printed spacers but Renick Subaru is telling me they won't do it because it's not a Subaru part.

Also was told I would not be getting a loaner car, so I had to wait until I had a day off from work to do it.

Want to add the car had 2 more miles on it then when I dropped it off.

I'd be beyond livid. Why would they need to test drive the car for this??

I'd be beyond livid. Why would they need to test drive the car for this??

They typically do a road test for every vehicle when it's in for service. Most people appreciate a tech doing this to check for any issues. My dash cam always showed a very professional, casual drive onto the highway and then back to the shop.

Most techs don't get too excited about driving a 10 year old Legacy.

They typically do a road test for every vehicle when it's in for service. Most people appreciate a tech doing this to check for any issues. My dash cam always showed a very professional, casual drive onto the highway and then back to the shop.

Most techs don't get too excited about driving a 10 year old Legacy.

Now that you mention it they did do a full inspection of the car. Maybe the test drive was part of that? They also pointed out one of my valve cover gaskets are leaking... Damnit.

Got a link? I looked under mine yesterday and couldn't figure out which one is which :lol:

I came across this thread which talks about disabling the driver side seat belt chime.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/final-disable-seat-belt-chime-52672.html?t=52672&highlight=disable+chime

Post #13 in that thread (also by the OP) mentioned that the passenger side white connector affects the seat belt chime -and- the airbag.

By the time I was able to access most of the connectors under the seat (ended up having to remove the bolts that fasten the seat rails to the frame in order to have enough working space and needed a breaker bar to crack them loose), I was annoyed and TBH have forgotten what the exact test results were, but it was not what I wanted/needed. I -think- the pass airbag was disconnected but the dash light for the airbag system remained on, and I wasn't sure if that would affect the other airbags. I reconnected everything and bolted the seat back in. I very, very rarely have a passenger in the front passenger seat anyway. Perhaps there's a wire/connector that just disables the weight sensor, but I haven't researched that yet.

Archived