LegacyGT.com

Subaru Lego & Outb Recall 2005-2008

My LGT didn't get finished yesterday on account of my "aftermarket gauges and such". They won't remove the dash completely and will install the new inflator with the dash installed.

I'm kind of happy because I didn't want the dealer to mess up my defrost vent gauages or aux in on the radio.

Which dealership did you take your car into?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had taken our 05 in for the recall however they had the wrong part since this recall was different from the previous airbag recall. They said they had to order the parts and Subaru said there is a 3-4 week delivery time.

If they have to remove the whole dash, I'm not gonna bring my car in for this.They're gonna break or mess something up and it won't look or sound right afterwards.

Yeah you're right it's much better to have your car left alone and chance killing your passenger with airbag inflater shrapnel in a collision. :rolleyes::spin:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I just reviewed my dash cam footage from when my car was at the dealership. I had called the dealer at about 5 on the first day to ask how the work was going. I was told that the airbag had been replaced and they were working on reassembling the dash. My camera shows that they didn't touch my car until the second day. I'm going to ask them how this is possible when I bring the car in to get my buttons and trim fixed.

this is brilliant:lol:

Just got mine back after 2 full days. They managed to break a bunch of stuff in the process and I have to go back next week to get it fixed. They broke the brightness and display buttons next to the clock, the hazard button, and now my key fob won't work. There's also a few trim pieces they didn't put back correctly.

where did you take it? I don't wanna go there! I'm in Denver too

Oh snap that's a good idea! I think I'll get my dash cam from my commuter and mount it in the back of the Subaru for the repair. Just to keep an eye on things.

Random thought.... Would this be a good time to have the cabin filter changed on the 05? I hear they are a pita to change out.

I just changed the cabin filter on my 05 LGT Wagon. I did it in about 30 minutes! It was a pain, but worked. I'll work on getting detail on how I did it.

Yeah you're right it's much better to have your car left alone and chance killing your passenger with airbag inflater shrapnel in a collision. :rolleyes::spin:

Based on a quick google, 8 total people have died along with 150 injuries due to faulty airbags out of 34 million affected vehicles in the US (resulting odds are 1/215,000). That doesn't sound like a reason to be super-alarmed and rush straight to the dealer.

Let's compare to lightning strikes. The odds you'll be hit by lightning are 1/12,000 over your lifetime. So you're 18x more likely to be hit by lightning than injured by a faulty Takata airbag.

And the odds of simply dying in a car accident for any reason are 1/470 over your lifetime, which is 457x higher than dying due to a faulty airbag in that collision.

Don't you think your sarcastic response to his statement on holding back from doing the recall seems a little over the top?

Called the dealer to make an appointment, they said they would call me back later this week when the parts arrive and set up a date.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Based on a quick google, 8 total people have died along with 150 injuries due to faulty airbags out of 34 million affected vehicles in the US (resulting odds are 1/215,000). That doesn't sound like a reason to be super-alarmed and rush straight to the dealer.

Let's compare to lightning strikes. The odds you'll be hit by lightning are 1/12,000 over your lifetime. So you're 18x more likely to be hit by lightning than injured by a faulty Takata airbag.

And the odds of simply dying in a car accident for any reason are 1/470 over your lifetime, which is 457x higher than dying due to a faulty airbag in that collision.

Don't you think your sarcastic response to his statement on holding back from doing the recall seems a little over the top?

Yes my sarcastic comment was a little over the top, but you also calculated the odds wrong.

You need to look at how many airbag inflator failed vs how many have been deployed. Basically you could have a bad inflator and never have an accident which would deploy the airbag.

I plan to have both of ours replaced as soon as possible even though there is minimal risk for my car and slightly more risk for the wagon. My car spent it's entire time in Sacramento where the summers are dry, but the wagon spent it's first 8 years in the Bay Area where high relative humidity is normal. The higher the humidity the greater the risk.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Got my LGT back today...they asked if my wideband gauge was working when I dropped it off. [emoji34] I said yes and they said "oh, well it isn't working now".

I picked it up because I didn't want them to do anything else. At least my two other gauges and radar detector are working.

Got my LGT back today...they asked if my wideband gauge was working when I dropped it off. [emoji34] I said yes and they said "oh, well it isn't working now".

I picked it up because I didn't want them to do anything else. At least my two other gauges and radar detector are working.

Found my issue after pulling apart my electronics. They managed to cut the power wire to the wideband about 3 feet back from the gauge.

The tech charged an extra 2 hours to subaru for not being able to fully remove my dash and change the inflator on the work bench.

Just spoke with dealership here in Maryland and part is back ordered until Feb or March so I guess I'll just wait to have the brake lines done along with the airbag all at once.. really don't wanna take my car there at all but recalls need to be fixed!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Are they providing loaner cars for this recall? Well, for those that have had their cars serviced, did they provide loaners?

I asked for a loaner and got a 2015 impreza sport wagon. It was pretty nice; a lot has changed in car tech from my 2005 to the 2015.

I bit the bullet. I called to schedule and when asked he said nothing about a backorder, just that they order case by case. I was also told there was no estimated time frame for the bag to arrive.

This is a new location for an old dealership I didn't love. I hope it works better now.

Renick called me to say they don't know when the part will be in, just that they will call me when it is.

Gunnar and I were discussing this, and I am definitely going to document my mileage and interior before I drop it off. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a joyride in it, considering that down here they don't see turbo Subarus every day. Just senior owned Foresters.

I wouldn't hold my breath, I'll bet we don't get a call for at least a month.

You know, it's not like they didn't know this was coming...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Called and scheduled mine today for next Tuesday at Fairfield Subaru. They didn't say anything about the part being backordered.

They offered me a loaner car until I mentioned I'm only 20 and you have to be 21 to be able to get a loaner. They said it typically has been taking only about an hour and a half so I figure I'll sit at the dealer and do homework while I'm there. That way I'll be able to hear if they try to take it out for a little drive or something.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Called and scheduled mine today for next Tuesday at Fairfield Subaru. They didn't say anything about the part being backordered.

They offered me a loaner car until I mentioned I'm only 20 and you have to be 21 to be able to get a loaner. They said it typically has been taking only about an hour and a half so I figure I'll sit at the dealer and do homework while I'm there. That way I'll be able to hear if they try to take it out for a little drive or something.

I'm not sure it can be done that fast. The imprezas are quick because they don't remove the dash. Our cars need the dash to be removed which takes a significant amount of time.

It can be done in car without dash removal but it takes an extra 3 hours. My lgt was there for 2 days while my impreza was only there about 2 hours.

Archived