LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of feeling impatient, have any of the current 2.5i users with the tune heard back from TH recently?

I messaged him yesterday to confirm the 120 mph speed limiter issue. Just for anyone that needs to run higher than 120mph of couse[emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome. Can't wait to get my cable...

By the way, I got up to 124 in my 2.5 but was going downhill on a 3 mile straight in Maryland.

There's another thread on vibration at speed, I tried to over inflate my tires to 40 and that high speed vibration went away.

My 2.5i is already pretty slow past 85mph as it is. It must take a bunch of time up to 120+mph. My 2nd vehicle is decently fast and quickly get to 120mph (it probably takes the same amount of time to go 60-120 as my 2.5i goes 60-80), but I just don't feel comfortable spending much time at that speed.

Personally, I would leave the speed limiter that Subaru put in the ECM to help prevent Darwinism.

To be clear, I'm guessing the new tune does not include (for those who want it) the flex tune? I'm guessing it's not ready yet?..

Doubtful but I imagine if it does he'll make sure to let us know in the email

@BeastCoast1

I've officially joined the tuned club:cool:

Here's my observations thus far:

-Low end torque increase is definitely noticeable, especially right off the line. Our throttle is touchy as is and now it's eager to jump up and move so my foot's gonna have to do a little relearning to get smooth starts lol.

-Manual mode is way more usable. Cruising twisty roads I never had to downshift to second like I would before, 3rd has plenty of pull even at lower revs.

-In terms of typical accelerating it doesn't feel noticeably different until I look down at the speedo and realize I'm going faster than expected. Not a bad thing at all, I was just use to knowing in my head X amount of throttle means X gain in speed so I gotta relearn that. When getting on it though it most definitely feels different. It's minor but there's more push-back-in-seat feeling.

An impromptu 0-60 run timed with the Sprint Box app resulted in 9.0...I was confused. Threw it in manual mode and got 8.1 which seems more like it. I need to do a few runs in a row to get a more consistent number. I'm guessing 8-8.5 range based on the numbers reported in this thread. When my current tank runs out I'm going to put in 1/4 tank of premium and see what I can get best case scenario.

Overall I'm pleased with the results. Huge thanks to Tigger for introducing us all on here to the idea of tuning a mundane family sedan. To all the haters, it's not about making a NA 4cyl into a rocket ship, it's making what we have the best it can be.

Also...I sure hope that E85 tune becomes reality cause cheaper gas and more power is a win-win.

Welcome to the club Andrew! :D

I think this is easily the best value for money mod available for our cars in terms of bang for buck.

All my results for 0-60 (0-100kph) were done in manual mode and just pinning the throttle to the floor. Even in manual mode it will shift at redline for you so no need to manually use paddles. I found that if I did use paddle shifting I'd invariably do a worse time than if I just let it shift a max rpm by itself.

The best thing about this mod is that it's like you have a whole new car all over again. Much cheaper than upgrading. And it's not about making our cars faster than X vehicle, it's about making it as good as it can be.

Hopefully with the E85 tune it'll have similar performance to a stock 3.6R. I'm guessing 7.5sec running on E85 but we'll have to wait until Matt finishes the development.

Hopefully with the E85 tune it'll have similar performance to a stock 3.6R. I'm guessing 7.5sec running on E85 but we'll have to wait until Matt finishes the development.

Enjoy it while you can because when we get a hold of the E85 tune it's game over. :icon_twis

Haha Robbie yeah but how many tuned 3.6's are there out there?

I think you guys will be pulling low 6's for sure.

A friend of mine had a gen4 3.0 wagon running E85, headers and a supercharger. Gave the WRX boys a run for their money that's for sure!

Anyone with the tune have an SSD or Takeda intake? If so did you notice a difference after installing? Why did you pick one over the other?

aFe claims 7hp and 6lb-ft on their website

I have the Takeda intake. I got it because SSD didnt have one for the 6th gen specified yet. I would make the same choice again even though it is now available. I feel like the Takeda Intake looks to be of higher quality but that is only matter of opinion I suppose. I like that the Takeda replaced half of the air box and allows you to use a cone filter (whether there is any benefit to that, I dont know but i like the look of it better) while SSD uses your stock airbox and provides a replacement panel filter. As for HP gains, I havent felt any. Maybe a slight improvement in throttle response and MPG but thats about it for me.

@BeastCoast1

Anyone with the tune have an SSD or Takeda intake? If so did you notice a difference after installing? Why did you pick one over the other?

aFe claims 7hp and 6lb-ft on their website

I put in the Takeda then got the tune.

I chose the Takeda because SSD wasn't fitted to 6G yet. Personally, I think the Takeda is flashier than the SSD, but I do really like how the SSD keeps the stock box with the charcoal filter in the back.

I think as long as you do the ECU reset, then your car will learn that it has a slight increase in airflow, if any is present.

So if I wanted to tune my 2.5i, would I go to a reputable tuning shop and ask them to tune it? They would then go to work tuning it, and increase my torque and HP? Would this then allow me to go up to premium gas, or stay on regular? Also would getting premium gas in my stock 2.5i do anything?

Of all people, I hope you brick your ECU

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have a problem...somehow I've lost all the low-end torque that I originally gained with the tune.:eek::(

Initially when I got it the amount of pull down low was incredible, combined with our touchy throttle it was hard to take-off smoothly. I eventually got used to this though, or so I thought. Turns out it wasn't me that changed but rather the car did. I was in manual mode on some back roads, and the impressive 3rd "gear" pull is gone. I ran a few 0-60's and I'm currently in the high 9-10 range. It was low-mid 8 range...

I tried re-flashing the tune, thinking maybe the car was trying to revert back to its old ways...nothing changed, still dead down low.:confused:

Here's what's different since I got the tune:

-Started running 93 octane premium gas, currently on my second tank of it since tuning. I recall everything being normal after filling up with the first tank so I'm pretty sure this isn't the culprit.

-Installed Takeda intake and did an ECU reset afterwards. When I did this my throttle tip-in changed from being right at the top to having a little bit of play. I assumed it was just a re-calibration from the reset but maybe there's something going on there.

Any ideas? Should I switch back to the stock intake and do some testing to see if there's a difference? I contemplated about doing another ECU reset but wanted to see if anyone had some thoughts on the matter first. I just really want my power back!:spin:

I have a problem...somehow I've lost all the low-end torque that I originally gained with the tune.:eek::(

Initially when I got it the amount of pull down low was incredible, combined with our touchy throttle it was hard to take-off smoothly. I eventually got used to this though, or so I thought. Turns out it wasn't me that changed but rather the car did. I was in manual mode on some back roads, and the impressive 3rd "gear" pull is gone. I ran a few 0-60's and I'm currently in the high 9-10 range. It was low-mid 8 range...

I tried re-flashing the tune, thinking maybe the car was trying to revert back to its old ways...nothing changed, still dead down low.:confused:

Here's what's different since I got the tune:

-Started running 93 octane premium gas, currently on my second tank of it since tuning. I recall everything being normal after filling up with the first tank so I'm pretty sure this isn't the culprit.

-Installed Takeda intake and did an ECU reset afterwards. When I did this my throttle tip-in changed from being right at the top to having a little bit of play. I assumed it was just a re-calibration from the reset but maybe there's something going on there.

Any ideas? Should I switch back to the stock intake and do some testing to see if there's a difference? I contemplated about doing another ECU reset but wanted to see if anyone had some thoughts on the matter first. I just really want my power back!:spin:

When you did the ECU reset after installing the intake your car may have learned the NEW AFR associated with it, throwing off other parameters that the tune had changed. Id shoot TH a message and see if he could resend you a tune accounting for the new increase in airflow.

***EDIT***

Say your tune was based on the airflow from the stock intake (which it was) and everything ran fine. After installation of the new intake and ECU reset, the only parameter that changed was air/fuel ratio while all other parameters remain the same as they were previous to the increase in airflow. That may be where the issue lies. Just my speculation.

Edited by BeastCoast
@BeastCoast1