LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

Are there any mpg improvements in 3.6 after tuning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look back a few pages as RobbieGT has the tune on his 3.6R and has seen some decent improvements in his mpg. There is still a penalty for running the extra 2 cylinders, but nowhere near as large as before.

Read a couple of reviews Fed H: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5470534&postcount=248

RobbieGT's mpg: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5468880&postcount=234

and: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5466225&postcount=197

RobbieGT's review: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5464594&postcount=186

Now if you're not convinced to get the tune you're crazy ;):lol::spin:

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look back a few pages as RobbieGT has the tune on his 3.6R and has seen some decent improvements in his mpg. There is still a penalty for running the extra 2 cylinders, but nowhere near as large as before.

Read a couple of reviews Fed H: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5470534&postcount=248

RobbieGT's mpg: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5468880&postcount=234

and: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5466225&postcount=197

RobbieGT's review: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5464594&postcount=186

Now if you're not convinced to get the tune you're crazy ;):lol::spin:

OK. What if I'm convinced? How do I sign up?

:cool:

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161012/80f03c6a945032261bbcc1ffce8dcc9b.png

Update coming soon from Matt. Just a heads up to everyone.

Time to constantly check my email every 5 minutes. :spin:

Hi guys, I am considering using ThrottleHappy's tune for my 2.5i. I've talked to BeastCoast earlier already. Only thing that is holding me back is the thought of something going bad because of tune and warranty not covering it.. so anyone with the tune please give your input on whether you experienced any issue and how long you've had the tune for etc. does performance of tune outweigh the potential of something going bad? Also, any dynos run on the tune to see parameters at all RPM's to see if there are any problems? Finally, is the tune specifically made for the 6th gen Legacy or is it a generic tune for multiple cars? Please give your input and thank you very much

Finally, is the tune specifically made for the 6th gen Legacy or is it a generic tune for multiple cars? Please give your input and thank you very much

Others are more qualified to reply on other points, but I've been lurking here long enough to say that it's a tune specifically made for the 6th-gen Legacy BN9 (with variants for 2.5, 3.6, and optimisation for different fuel grades), initially based on maps for the 5th-gen Legacy BM (since the FB25 engine was carried over), but now thoroughly optimised for the 6th-gen.

Even if you could find another tuner in your area who'd be willing to tune your car in person (and there are several where I am), he'd likely be starting from scratch. How much time he'd invest in fleshing out the new tune would depend on demand for the tune, and the 6th-gen is relatively rare. Whereas Matt's tune is already mature, running on several cars, doesn't seem to have blown up anything (yet), and only resulted in higher oil temperatures.

Chime in folks if I'm way off base here.

@redvenetian on Instagram

I got a message from him about an hour ago and he said he's almost completed testing locally to roll out a world wide update. (Tick, tock, tick, tock)

Please be the flex tune [emoji30]

I see your point. Matt seems like a very credible guy from the reviews on the forum. Another question I have is what happens if you have like a CEL on or software upgrade and need it to bring it to the dealership? Can it still be coded and fixed/upgraded with a tune?

If you get a software update for your ECU at the dealer then it will overwrite your tune file.

If it's an important update you can the take a read of the ECU, send to Matt and he can then update the file for you to write back to your ECU including the service update.

I did take my car back to the dealer for a recall and it involved an update to the body control module. This didn't effect the tune on my car.

Now I get my car serviced at an independent workshop so that the tune doesn't accidentally get overwritten by a factory software update. It's less of an issue if you have a PC and tactrix cable but I'd have to wait for Matt to visit my city or beg one of the guys locally with a cable re-install the tune.

I was making 193hp before the reset. 18hp improvement over stock. I'd like to get it to 200hp. I'm biting my nails waiting for the E85 tune which will get me past the 200hp mark. Please Matt if you see this I'm dying to get the E85 tune. The pump is 5 minutes from my house [emoji30]

Edit: E85 is also about $1.00 cheaper a gallon than 93 here

I have E85 available across the parking lot from my work...and it's cheap.....what's the best way to get ahold of Matt?

If E85 is in the near future I think I'm gonna join the tune club:cool:

I have E85 available across the parking lot from my work...and it's cheap.....what's the best way to get ahold of Matt?

If E85 is in the near future I think I'm gonna join the tune club:cool:

Best to contact Matt through Facebook. I'll PM you his details.

But first thing is you'll need to get yourself a Tactrix cable or find someone local who has one that can help with reading and writing the tune file.

I was making 193hp before the reset. 18hp improvement over stock.

You're running the Takeda intake, right? Did you get Matt to tweak the tune to accommodate the increased air intake? If not, do you think the Takeda contributed at all to your power improvements?

You're running the Takeda intake, right? Did you get Matt to tweak the tune to accommodate the increased air intake? If not, do you think the Takeda contributed at all to your power improvements?

I know I let him know that I had one but either way, after you install the intake you should do an ECU reset in which case your cars ECU file you send to Matt would contain the new A-F ratio since the reset.

@BeastCoast1

I know I let him know that I had one but either way, after you install the intake you should do an ECU reset in which case your cars ECU file you send to Matt would contain the new A-F ratio since the reset.

Thanks. So in order to ensure that Matt's tune takes into your account your intake and exhaust mods, you need to do them first, reset the ECU, drive around long enough to log the new AFR data, then pull your stock tune to send to Matt. Good to know.

Thanks. So in order to ensure that Matt's tune takes into your account your intake and exhaust mods, you need to do them first, reset the ECU, drive around long enough to log the new AFR data, then pull your stock tune to send to Matt. Good to know.

I would do the reset prior to downloading your stock tune file. I could be 100% wrong but that's what I feel the best thing to do would be. That way when making adjustments on his end, all the parameters are accurate.

@BeastCoast1

• 2 weeks later...
Did you turn the ignition to the "ON" position?

Plug in the Tactrix to car and computer

Open EcuFlash

Select model of car and chose: Subaru BRZ and press OK

Click the 'Read from ECU' button

Now turn the Ignition to the ON position

Press OK

Wait for it to finish downloading the existing tune

It will say the tune is unrecognisable, but will give an option to save the file

Save the tune somewhere safe on your computer in SRF format

Turn ignition off

Turn ignition to the ON position for 15 seconds, then turn ign off for 15 seconds

You can now start the car as nothing is changed on the ECU except you now have a backup copy of current tune

Let engine idle for 60 seconds before driving the car

@BeastCoast1

I downloaded the ecuflash software, Plugged in the Tactrix to car and computer, Opened EcuFlash, Selected model of car and chose: Subaru BRZ (like told)...from here there is no read from ecu button, it's grayed out. I turn the car on, ignition on..nothing. I took pictures of the laptop, I'll try uploading them.

I followed the instructions.

I downloaded the ecuflash software, Plugged in the Tactrix to car and computer, Opened EcuFlash, Selected model of car and chose: Subaru BRZ (like told)...from here there is no read from ecu button, it's grayed out. I turn the car on, ignition on..nothing. I took pictures of the laptop, I'll try uploading them.

I followed the instructions.

Strange, and the car is on AC power when you're trying to read? The car doesn't need to be running. Just want to make sure that isn't the issue.

@BeastCoast1

Strange, and the car is on AC power when you're trying to read? The car doesn't need to be running. Just want to make sure that isn't the issue.

Right, I think the instructions should be rewritten. When it says ignition on, you are not turning the engine on. You are hitting the button twice or turning the key twice.