LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

I did some very rough 0-60 times with my smart phone stop watch, paddle mode was 7.2 seconds and the auto mode was 7.5... Not too impressed considering that was what stock claimed.

Beastcoast and I should be getting my 91/93 tune taken care of soon, hopefully there's an improvement.

It would probably be helpful to do some stock runs for comparison. The weather in New England hasn't been ideal for the best 0-60 times. I don't know if you saw this video, but they got the best times manual mode and traction control off.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would probably be helpful to do some stock runs for comparison. The weather in New England hasn't been ideal for the best 0-60 times. I don't know if you saw this video, but they got the best times manual mode and traction control off.

I took some GPS timed runs yesterday and was very unimpressed however I was on a very slight incline. I flashed the stock tune back in this morning and in a little bit i will run a few 0-60mph for for an average at stock and do the same with the most recent tune. I will say driving it at stock this morning feels horrible compared to yesterday with my tune flashed. I forgot I ever drove it like this and I'm glad I dont have to anymore. So for peace of mind, there is most certainly a notable difference.

@BeastCoast1

I took some GPS timed runs yesterday and was very unimpressed however I was on a very slight incline. I flashed the stock tune back in this morning and in a little bit i will run a few 0-60mph for for an average at stock and do the same with the most recent tune. I will say driving it at stock this morning feels horrible compared to yesterday with my tune flashed. I forgot I ever drove it like this and I'm glad I dont have to anymore. So for peace of mind, there is most certainly a notable difference.

Try and run on the same road, same conditions to make the results comparable. From my own personal experience a small incline will make 0.1-0.2sec slower and a slight downhill will "improve" the result by a similar amount.

When I did my runs I used highway entry ramps which were pretty flat but I did notice some variance between one and the next due to a slight grade on the road. It was always the same ramp that was faster or slower and you could kind of tell because these ones weren't entirely flat.

Try and run on the same road, same conditions to make the results comparable. From my own personal experience a small incline will make 0.1-0.2sec slower and a slight downhill will "improve" the result by a similar amount.

When I did my runs I used highway entry ramps which were pretty flat but I did notice some variance between one and the next due to a slight grade on the road. It was always the same ramp that was faster or slower and you could kind of tell because these ones weren't entirely flat.

I did 3 runs at stock tune and then flashed the 93 tune and did a full ECU reset before doing 3 more runs. The difference was 9.2 average at stock VS 8.3 average with the tune after a full reset. Much better, and I'm not sure what was going on beforehand but I'm glad it's fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@BeastCoast1

I did 3 runs at stock tune and then flashed the 93 tune and did a full ECU reset before doing 3 more runs. The difference was 9.2 average at stock VS 8.3 average with the tune after a full reset. Much better, and I'm not sure what was going on beforehand but I'm glad it's fixed.

Do you think that the reset is what makes the REAL difference? I've done 0-60 and my best was maybe 9.4.. I can't believe your numbers [emoji15][emoji55]

Do you think that the reset is what makes the REAL difference? I've done 0-60 and my best was maybe 9.4.. I can't believe your numbers [emoji15][emoji55]

Specs say 9.1 is stock so It's possible that maybe made the difference. I ran the stock tune, flashed the 93 tune, reset the ECU, let the car idle for 10 mins, went for a very conservative 30 min drive and then ran the 0-60 on the exact same strip where I recorded 9.2 previously with the stock tune. I mentioned what was happening to Matt and he said something about heatsoak which I am unfamiliar with and didn't really look into it so I'm not sure if you know what that is?

And I made a mistake, my average was 8.4. I ran 2 runs at 8.3 and one at 8.5. I think Tigger was running 8.0 flat, but he obviously cheats and uses nitrous.

Edited by BeastCoast
@BeastCoast1

Specs say 9.1 is stock so It's possible that maybe made the difference. I ran the stock tune, flashed the 93 tune, reset the ECU, let the car idle for 10 mins, went for a very conservative 30 min drive and then ran the 0-60 on the exact same strip where I recorded 9.2 previously with the stock tune. I mentioned what was happening to Matt and he said something about heatsoak which I am unfamiliar with and didn't really look into it so I'm not sure if you know what that is?

And I made a mistake, my average was 8.4. I ran 2 runs at 8.3 and one at 8.5. I think Tigger was running 8.0 flat, but he obviously cheats and uses nitrous.

I'm doing the reset first thing in the morning. Is there a certain amount of time the battery needs to be disconnected? Or just disconnect it. Hold the brakes down to drain it and then reconnect it?

[quote=BeastCoast;

Those Australians can never be trusted [emoji6] but actually, I believe the 0.3 comes from his headers

I'm doing the reset first thing in the morning. Is there a certain amount of time the battery needs to be disconnected? Or just disconnect it. Hold the brakes down to drain it and then reconnect it?

Yes just drain the system by hitting your brakes. Any residual will be gone and cause your ECU to reboot.

Those Australians can never be trusted [emoji6] but actually, I believe the 0.3 comes from his headers

Yes about 0.3s for the headers and a high flow cat. It's the old law of diminishing returns in terms of $ spent unfortunately.

Just remember it can be a little tricky comparing everyones times. Mine were done with a G-tech which can have some inaccuracy due to 10Hz GPS. There can be up to a 0.1s error with the unit as there can be a slight delay in catching the first 1-2 feet of a run. However having said that all my times were done with the same unit so the errors will apply equally to all runs. You can see the improvement and agree my absolute times may not be 100% correct but relative times show the improvement.

Is it gonna ruin it or mess with it if I don't drive for the full 30 minutes? Let's just say I end up only driving for 20-25 minutes.. What would happen

I shouldn't think so but don't quote me on it. I'm pretty sure most of the "learning" happens in the first 5-10 minutes and then it's fine tuning after that.

Yes just drain the system by hitting your brakes. Any residual will be gone and cause your ECU to reboot.

Yes about 0.3s for the headers and a high flow cat. It's the old law of diminishing returns in terms of $ spent unfortunately.

Just remember it can be a little tricky comparing everyones times. Mine were done with a G-tech which can have some inaccuracy due to 10Hz GPS. There can be up to a 0.1s error with the unit as there can be a slight delay in catching the first 1-2 feet of a run. However having said that all my times were done with the same unit so the errors will apply equally to all runs. You can see the improvement and agree my absolute times may not be 100% correct but relative times show the improvement.

I believe the unit I was using was 5Hz GPS so I imagine there is a variable there as well so maybe give or take .2 seconds?

@BeastCoast1

I shouldn't think so but don't quote me on it. I'm pretty sure most of the "learning" happens in the first 5-10 minutes and then it's fine tuning after that.

In all honesty, ive done the reset before and only driven for 10-15 mins and I didnt notice a difference at all. After the most recent reset and 30 min drive I actually felt a difference the next time I drove my car. Maybe its all in my head, maybe its legit, maybe its voodoo, or maybe I borrowed some of your Nitrous ;). Dont know, dont care because it feels better to me and thats all that matters.

@BeastCoast1

It gives me hope that I might get some more performance out of my Outback in the future, which has a 0 to 100km/h in 10.2 seconds according to specs. What would be good/interesting is to allow the SI-Drive to select tune so I can get economy and performance tune that way.

It's the same engine and transmission - just a slightly heavier body due to being a wagon and having a bit of a body kit ;)

SI drive is good but I run in S mode 99% of the time because why would you want 30% less power? :spin::lol:

It crossed my mind just now how beastcoast is straight piped and is getting no different times than me/others who have a muffler...

When I had mine off I really didn't notice a difference in low end torque..

I just find it interesting how people make a big deal out of it but there seems to be no difference. Just a thought...

The axle back section is purely for noise and makes virtually no difference in terms of performance (as you've noticed).

There are some benefits in removing the restrictions in the headers and getting better flow from a high flow catalytic converter. It's not a massive benefit - mostly to the low end torque off the line. It is noticeable but only just - and only marginally quicker 0-60.

You'll have to wait for the E85 tune and that will give you some decent gains in performance over your current tune. Of course if you have some $ to throw at your car you can get some custom headers made, however it'll probably cost $500-$700 to get a few tenths. If you want to extract every last bit then you'll need to do it otherwise save your $ and spend it on something that has a bigger effect.

I'd recommend to spend $ on upgrading the brakes/suspension before getting headers for only a marginal performance improvement.

Edited by tigger73