LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

The dyno data’s pretty clear ... I’m happy to have paid for that knowledge. Butt dynos are unreliable. Lesson learnt.

Thanks for posting. Most people aren't willing to go to the trouble of getting real data, and many have a hard time being honest ... both with themselves and with us ... about the results.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The O2 sensor is part of a feedback control loop to compensate for production variances. It really shouldn't be surprising that a modification that modifies a sensor's output to the ECM which is an control loop, didn't provide great results. Edited by dgoodhue

Doing a Legacygt.com search shows no real info on RomRaider in the 6th-gen forum, and no actual how-tos in any of the other gen forums either, so I'll try and write a how-to post sometime.

It can be a real pain in the butt to setup. It took a minute to figure out. I was having issues with Java so I ended up uninstalling every version then installing ONLY the versions I needed for the RR. It's been so long I've actually forgotten most of it so a write-up would be best for newcomers. RomRaider has a bit of a write-up on how to install but I believe it's in two parts and a bit scattered.

I try to convince others that RR is not only useful for tuning but for monitoring your car. Until I had started tuning, I never would have known that at 40k miles, my plugs needed changing, my injectors had begun to clog and I had a dirty MAF sensor.

It can be a real pain in the butt to setup. It took a minute to figure out... I try to convince others that RR is not only useful for tuning but for monitoring your car.

Yes, RR setup can be a pain. As you mentioned, the documentation's scattered, and it's not exactly clear either, which is typical of many open source projects.

Java's definitely the biggest headache (it requires a 32-bit version of Java, regardless of whether or not you already have a 64-bit version installed). I had better luck than you in getting several versions of Java to co-exist on a Windows 7 laptop.

I definitely agree that RR's useful for monitoring your own car. Someone asked (can't remember if it was this thread or elsewhere in the 6th-gen forum) if there were other uses for Tactrix other than downloading stock tunes and uploading new ones. RR should be top on the list (it does virtual dynos too), and easily helps justify the cost of investing in a Tactrix Openport. Worried about unusually high oil temperatures? The answer might be in your logs.

Yes, Tactrix allows automated standalone logging to a microSD card without a laptop, based on triggers such as rpm. But unless you're adept at editing the config files required for microSD card logging, it's much easier to use RR to choose which parameters you want logged, and in what units.

I'll get around to the how-to.

Have you guys actually used romraider to log data, or get real time info??

Yes I have. I've had no problems with both monitoring realtime info (ie, without pressing the record button), and actually logging data (ie, pressing the record button and having RR write in realtime to a CSV log file). Then again, I have a different ECU compared to the USDM and Aussie models so I can't guarantee you'll have the same success. No harm trying though if you already have Tactrix, since RR is free software.

Edited by surmiser
@redvenetian on Instagram

I did a bit more searching and it turns out that there are already good RomRaider how-tos on Legacygt.com.

EcuFlash and RomRaider how-to: legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/complete-beginners-guide-e-tuning-vendor-and-vag-com-cable-158118.html

Windows 7-specific how-to: legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3792458&postcount=137

@redvenetian on Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone assist me in locating a good tuner in CT? I have found one location called the shop but I have had a few people tell me i should stay away from there, however some people just have their own opinions and try to differ others from success. If anyone knows of this place could you please inform me of your experiences.

"Remember perfection is a perspective"

Can someone assist me in locating a good tuner in CT? I have found one location called "The Shop" but I have had a few people tell me i should stay away from there, however some people just have their own opinions and try to differ others from success. If anyone knows of this place could you please inform me of your experiences.

Can someone assist me in locating a good tuner in CT? I have found one location called "The Shop" but I have had a few people tell me i should stay away from there, however some people just have their own opinions and try to differ others from success. If anyone knows of this place could you please inform me of your experiences.

I would contact Matt from TH. I haven't heard of any negatives on here about him. I have his tune along with the many on this thread and it's amazing. The issues with local places are that they won't know how to read/tune your car, and their tune probably wouldn't be very developed unless they have done it many times so that it's worth them putting their time and effort into the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a remote tune you should also seriously consider contacting XRT tuning. His user name is west_minist here on this forum.

I've been real happy with his service and he really knows his stuff.

I've read of response times being real slow with Matt/TH. Something to consider.

If you're looking for a remote tune you should also seriously consider contacting XRT tuning. His user name is west_minist here on this forum.

I've been real happy with his service and he really knows his stuff.

I've read of response times being real slow with Matt/TH. Something to consider.

Not to start an "argument" on the thread about who is better etc. but, to clarify matts slow response times. He is rarely on the forums so messaging him on here is not the best. If you contact him on facebook, he will respond anytime within a day (from my experience). Another thing to consider is that he is in Australia so there is a time difference for those in the U.S.

I have no experience with either tuner, but personally I would go with Matt at TH if/when I get ready to tune. Matt clearly is capable of communicating without a language barrier and that to me is much more valuable because we can discuss what he is doing to my 30k car. Just my 2 cents from reading the tuners' posts in here

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have no experience with either tuner, but personally I would go with Matt at TH if/when I get ready to tune. Matt clearly is capable of communicating without a language barrier and that to me is much more valuable because we can discuss what he is doing to my 30k car. Just my 2 cents from reading the tuners' posts in here

Communication means nothing if you can't get a hold of your tuner. Just saying....

West Minst sets you up with an entire group of guys to chat with any time of day. So you have their past experience as well as West's, who is always available via the same instant messaging app.

Communication means nothing if you can't get a hold of your tuner. Just saying....

West Minst sets you up with an entire group of guys to chat with any time of day. So you have their past experience as well as West's, who is always available via the same instant messaging app.

I've also seen you hop on his pogo stick for the last month. Did you get your tune for free? Cause if I read correctly, West Minst said he was looking for another 2.5 to give a free tune in order to further develop his understanding and tuning with these engines.

Yes ,no charge. Xrt is not the only one learning. Free is nice but means nothing to me really.

But you get my point, you're biased. That's why I'm chiming in with no experience with either tuner.

I may be biased but my bias has nothing to do with the cost or lack of. My bias is based on my experience and my pre-choice research. Simple as that.

Customer service is big with me. It was clear in my research that there were some communication issues with TH. That's not my opinion, that's other peoples posted experiences.

There's other tuners tactrix will turn you on to and they don't know much about the newest 3.6 and 2.5 NA cars either.

Edited by PDREALTOR

How about this. I currently have a tune from TH that I am very happy with. For comparisons sake I would be willing to reflash my stock tune, record any logs West_Minist would require from me, and PAY FOR and run his tune. I feel this would be beneficial to many more than myself if this comparison is available and would be willing to "donate" my dollar towards it for future recipients. West_Minist, please contact me if this is something you would be interested in participating in. Anybody else, please let me know Via private message if there is anything specific you would like to know. If this goes through, I will post my results in detail with Pros. VS Cons. of both. Unfortunately, I will not be getting in any pulls on a Dyno so that is out of the question. I personally, am not concerned with HP over "feel" since my car will never be "Fast".
@BeastCoast1

From what I could dig up the issue really isn't who has the better tune, it's who is and isn't providing timely communication.

Nice offer though. Interested to see who can push the limits the farthest in a race to the top.

From what I could dig up the issue really isn't who has the better tune, it's who is and isn't providing timely communication.

Nice offer though. Interested to see who can push the limits the farthest in a race to the top.

I've dealt with Matt/TH on numerous occasions and never had an issue really with getting in contact other than when he had food poisoning in which case he sent me a picture of himself in the hospital bed lol.

@BeastCoast1