LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

It crossed my mind just now how beastcoast is straight piped and is getting no different times than me/others who have a muffler...

When I had mine off I really didn't notice a difference in low end torque..

I just find it interesting how people make a big deal out of it but there seems to be no difference. Just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Tigger. Absolutely no performance gains from the exhaust. Unless you go high flow cat, custom dp and headers. Other than that, no difference.

@BeastCoast1

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time you may want to reset the ECU is if you're down on power for some unknown reason. This can be due to running a tank of poor quality fuel and the ECU still operating on these settings. The ECU will back off to timing to allow the car to run on the bad fuel, however when you get a tank of good fuel it will still be running on these "learned" settings.

I found out about this the hard way and couldn't figure out why my performance was down for a couple of months since running a tank of lower grade fuel.

Anyway changing the mufflers should make almost no difference to the operation of the engine so you shouldn't need to do the reset.

If you feel your performance is off a bit or if you're going to be running on a higher grade fuel (tune for 93 say) then I'd recommend doing the reset just so you start "fresh" with a known state of settings.

So I've been reading a few comments on this thread about resetting the ECU when doing certain mods. I'm upgrading my single exhaust to a dual exhaust soon and wanted to see if you guys thought it would be beneficial to reset the ECU.

I say with the exhaust you're probably fine but it's easy enough to where you could do it anyway for your own piece of mind. I would do it for an intake but that's just my opinion. I've heard different thoughts from different people (tuners included) and none seem to have the same answer on whether or not it's necessary. I imagine it would help the car "relearn" the AFR but some say with this particular car it isn't necessary.

@BeastCoast1

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of an update. I can now speak pretty confidently after running about 8 tanks of 93 with the 93 tune. Initially I thought I was improving fuel efficiency but Since doing so I have lost approximately 2.7mpg but gained throttle response from 0-2,000 rpms roughly. Just food for thought for anyone with both tunes debating which would be best for them. I will say of course, this is 100% individualized results since no 2 vehicles are the same but thought it may be useful information.

**Edit**

I chose to keep the 93 tune to achieve the low end response because I only drive 6 miles to work daily so I don't feel the loss as much. For anyone commuting 30+ miles daily I would weigh the options.

@BeastCoast1

• 2 weeks later...

Been running the 93 oct tune for a few weeks. So far I am happy with the purchase. Matt was pleasant to deal with and very helpful. Car is more responsive and has a much easier time merging into freeway traffic. It will never be the wrx or fxt but it no longer makes me cringe when I get on it. MPG has stayed about the same, but I also went to a wider wheel/tire setup the same week. On the stock setup I'm guessing I would have gained 1 or 2 mpg.

I'll load up the 87oct tune next week and run that for a bit to see how that goes.

So I was talking to Matt recently about the tune and I asked him if Subaru would be able to tell if you reflashed to stock. He told me "No reflash counter remains after loading stock tune in." I wonder if this is true because if so that is pretty awesome!

So I was talking to Matt recently about the tune and I asked him if Subaru would be able to tell if you reflashed to stock. He told me "No reflash counter remains after loading stock tune in." I wonder if this is true because if so that is pretty awesome!

That may be true, but they can tell the car has been recently reset. Which can occur by disconnecting the battery or re-flashing. Some dealers look for this, some don't. Bottom line is, if you want to tune your car be prepared to pay if it breaks.

That may be true, but they can tell the car has been recently reset. Which can occur by disconnecting the battery or re-flashing. Some dealers look for this, some don't. Bottom line is, if you want to tune your car be prepared to pay if it breaks.

I definitely agree that you shouldn't tune if you aren't willing to pay. But from what I understand, the count is really the only way they can justify you changed the ECU. As you said, a reset can be done by just disconnecting the battery. So them claiming you reset the ECU proves absolutely nothing, no?

To change the subject... This is an indirect question towards tuning. The idea of supercharging my car still hovers over my head.

I don't have a lot of knowledge over this subject.

If somebody were to go down this road, can you build the motor to ensure it can handle the boost. The motor can handle the starting power but if you were to raise the boost or want to make more power, can you build the motor?

To change the subject... This is an indirect question towards tuning. The idea of supercharging my car still hovers over my head.

I don't have a lot of knowledge over this subject.

If somebody were to go down this road, can you build the motor to ensure it can handle the boost. The motor can handle the starting power but if you were to raise the boost or want to make more power, can you build the motor?

I wouldn't worry about the motor moreso the CVT. You 2.5 guys don't have the beefed up HTCVT that the 3.6r's and WRX's have. You're going to run into issues with reliability.

I wouldn't worry about the motor moreso the CVT. You 2.5 guys don't have the beefed up HTCVT that the 3.6r's and WRX's have. You're going to run into issues with reliability.

Is there anything you can do to strengthen the transmission?

Outside of replacing it, I'm not sure. CVT's are certainly not in my area of expertise..

The only thing I can think of is swapping it out for a HTCVT, but i'm not sure how it'd bolt in mechanically.

Electronically I don't think it'd be a huge problem as they're not too different from the normal CVT besides the inner workings.

I think this comes back to the same old argument of should have bought a different car to start with.

There does come a point in modifying that it's no longer about bolt-ons and you start having to do some serious work to beef the internals up. That is when things start to become expensive.

I would speak to Matt/TH about it. I know there are some supercharged FB20's (XV with 2.0 NA) running around the place that use the same CVT. Though here you're starting with the FB25 so have more potential. If I were to do it (and I'm not), then I'd be going conservative in terms of level of boost. I think it should be OK given the level of engineering safety that is generally designed into these sorts of things, however you are starting to push the boundaries.

At the end of the day nobody has done it before so nobody can say for certain what the result is going to be. There is only one way to find out.... ;)

Exactly what Tigger said.

All said and done you're probably looking at roughly $5,000 out the door with no guarantee on reliability as you're alone in that world of mods for these cars.

You're better off taking that $5,000 and your current car and trading up to a 3.6r. You'd be getting the same power as a supercharged 2.5i, and you're starting at ground level in terms of mods.

Speaking from experience with TH's tune and my cold air intake, my car is a whole lot of fun. It's convinced me to never go 4 cylinder turbo again nevermind N/A.

There's mechanical strength, and then there's heat capacity. I believe CVTs often fail because the CVT fluid overheats. Some guys here have installed CVT coolers to fight that. But that introduces an additional point of failure because I hear that CVT coolers tend to leak (or at least the ones used here do), so you'll have to check for leaks daily. That's the main reason I haven't done it yet.

@redvenetian on Instagram

There's mechanical strength, and then there's heat capacity. I believe CVTs often fail because the CVT fluid overheats. Some guys here have installed CVT coolers to fight that. But that introduces an additional point of failure because I hear that CVT coolers tend to leak (or at least the ones used here do), so you'll have to check for leaks daily. That's the main reason I haven't done it yet.

I do recall hearing something about that. I heard that using a seperate CVT fluid cooler on the HTCVT to allow it to withstand an extra 75 horse.

• 2 weeks later...
My impression is that Throttlehappy's tune for the 2.5 has evolved a fair bit since tigger73 did his first dyno run posted on Pg.1 of this thread. Has anyone dynoed power improvements for Throttlehappy's latest 93 octane tunes for the 2.5? Thanks in advance.

Yes there have been several improvements to the tune, including improved throttle maps, better cold start performance, optimization for higher octane fuel, error code delete for high flow cat/headers and probably a few other bits that I've missed.

So there's definitely been some further development of the files for the gen6 over the past 12 months or so. I'm not sure there is much more to go for the standard file as it is maturing, however there is a flex tune being developed for E85 and then also development of a file for the raptor supercharger kit.

Yes there have been several improvements to the tune, including improved throttle maps, better cold start performance, optimization for higher octane fuel, error code delete for high flow cat/headers and probably a few other bits that I've missed.

All of those sound like very worthwhile improvements.

Forgive my tunnel vision, but any further HP gains on the dyno, please? Seems like there really should be more than just 10-or-so horses.

All of those sound like very worthwhile improvements.

Forgive my tunnel vision, but any further HP gains on the dyno, please? Seems like there really should be more than just 10-or-so horses.

I was making 193hp before the reset. 18hp improvement over stock. I'd like to get it to 200hp. I'm biting my nails waiting for the E85 tune which will get me past the 200hp mark. Please Matt if you see this I'm dying to get the E85 tune. The pump is 5 minutes from my house [emoji30]

Edit: E85 is also about $1.00 cheaper a gallon than 93 here

Edited by 15LegacyRyan