LegacyGT.com

6th Gen Tuning Thread

Ok confirming what I have been seeing since I started tuning the 3.6 CVT and the graph below sums it up.

That customer will post later if he has any time to do so to highlight the effects of mods and tuning.

http://xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/download/file.php?id=1840

These numbers seem low for a 3.6..? The numbers are similar to my 2.5 or am I missing something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have the Tactrix and have been trying to work with it. I downloaded and installed the ECUFlash and took a snapshot of my stock tune.

But for the life of me, I cannot get the ROMRaider logging function to work. I followed the how-to for WIN7 and it just does not want to communicate with the ECU. Deleted all the versions of JAVA and installed the latest. Nada. It does not help that the every supported ECU list on the ROMRaider site is years old.

Anyone have any tips to set it up?

What logger definitions are you using?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Okay, I have the Tactrix and have been trying to work with it. I downloaded and installed the ECUFlash and took a snapshot of my stock tune.

But for the life of me, I cannot get the ROMRaider logging function to work. I followed the how-to for WIN7 and it just does not want to communicate with the ECU. Deleted all the versions of JAVA and installed the latest. Nada. It does not help that the every supported ECU list on the ROMRaider site is years old.

I ran into a few issues when I was configuring everything and in the end, I used the following: http://www.romraider.com/Documentation/RomRaiderFAQ#toc39

With that being said, there were a few links provided here on this forum for EcuFlash / RomRaider:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/6th-gen-tuning-thread-248081.html?p=5536932&highlight=romraider#post5536932

And then Ed has a few items on his XRT page regarding the configuration. If you end up using Ed for tuning, I am pretty sure he will offer to connect into your machine via TeamViewer and configure it for you, just as an fyi:

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=677

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=113

Hope one of those helps.

First things first - when you connect your laptop to your car via Tactrix, and then start RomRaider, does RomRaider tells you it's connected, or that it's waiting for your ECU to respond?

If you're not even connected, then that's a connection problem (software drivers, etc).

If you're already connected, you should be able to see your ECU's data in real time, even if your ECU isn't supported in the logger definitions. If you can see real-time data but can't log, then the solution would be to update your logger definitions (if you can find those that support your ECU), or get your tuner to create a logger definition for your ECU.

@redvenetian on Instagram

Thank you gentlemen, I will give the other DIY guides a try.

As for my issue, ROMRaider will not connect to the ECU at all. So I suspected a software issue, just was not sure how to troubleshoot. It appears I am not the first to have this problem, so hopefully one of these guides will provide a solution.

I'm not in front of my computer that has RomRaider installed on it right now, or I'd check, but I believe when it was fully installed and having issues connecting to the ECU to begin reading, my issue ended up being something with the protocol it was using: http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=620

Look at the settings as shown above and try out one of the others, such as OBD and see if it changes. I'm sure someone else will chime in before I get home to see what mine is set at.

Look at the settings as shown above and try out one of the others, such as OBD and see if it changes. I'm sure someone else will chime in before I get home to see what mine is set at.

Good call, I forgot about that.

Try changing connection protocols; it should be SSM/OBD.

Yes,

You will plug the tactrix into the car and download the program "ecuflash from tactrix website (1.44).

Then you'll open it up and choose read ecu,

Then you'll save it to your computer and email the file to Matt,

Then you'll receive two files from Matt, one being the codes for the stock tune (xml file) and the other the tuned ecu (srf file)

You'll then save both tunes onto your computer,

Then you'll open up the program and download the files in and write the new ecu in! :)

I gave a little more detail than you probably wanted/needed but that's really all it is :)

I will warn you, not to scare you but to tell you so you don't get mad if it happens. I have Windows 7 and supposedly it's a lot harder to do it on Windows 7 than the newer ones. Just have an at least Windows 8. And make sure you save the file into the correct folders otherwise you won't be able to open them in the program when rewriting the ecu.

I'm not a techy guy but it wasn't very hard once I started using the program :)

Thanks for the explanation. When you said he gives you back an xml file of the stock tune, and then another file for the new tuned ECU srf file, what do you do with the xml? Does this mean you can put the old stock tune back on your car and say...a dealership will be none the wiser? I emailed Matt today about getting a remote tune, but I really only want to do it if I can put the stock tune back in myself. Also I'll be honest I haven't had time today or the will to read the next 30 pages of replies to see if there is an answer for my question so don't hurt me :(

Thanks for the explanation. When you said he gives you back an xml file of the stock tune, and then another file for the new tuned ECU srf file, what do you do with the xml? Does this mean you can put the old stock tune back on your car and say...a dealership will be none the wiser? I emailed Matt today about getting a remote tune, but I really only want to do it if I can put the stock tune back in myself. Also I'll be honest I haven't had time today or the will to read the next 30 pages of replies to see if there is an answer for my question so don't hurt me :(

Yes, you can do that if you want.

You'll have all of eds revisions plus the stock tune as he dials in the Rom to your specific car.

So what Ed did for me was have me record my stock ROM and send it over to him, I of course kept a copy for myself in case I ever needed it / wanted to compare. Additionally, the XML file he provides, he told me exactly where to place it. Per the E-mail he sent me:

"Please put the .xml in the following location:-

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\subaru\Legacy 3.6L\"

Obviously your path may be different towards the end, but in general, this should give you an idea.

Does this mean you can put the old stock tune back on your car and say...a dealership will be none the wiser?

That's the idea.

Followed the installation instructions. ECUFlash is hit or miss whether it will read the ECU or not. Was able to download a file, not sure if it is correct.

That doesn't sound right. Try using a different USB cable to see if that makes your ECU connection more stable?

Finally got ROMRaider to talk to the ECU, but only in OBD/CAN protocol. Was not able to connect with the SSM/OBD, kept returning an error.

That's good enough. As long as RomRaider can talk to the ECU via some protocol, your ECU is supported in the logging definitions, or your tuner scripts up a logging definition for your ECU, you should be able to data log your car.

Followed the installation instructions. ECUFlash is hit or miss whether it will read the ECU or not. Was able to download a file, not sure if it is correct.

I know for me, ECU Flash doesn't communicate with the vehicle if Rom Raider is running in the background. Was Rom Raider running when you were trying to record/flash any logs?

@BeastCoast1

I know for me, ECU Flash doesn't communicate with the vehicle if Rom Raider is running in the background. Was Rom Raider running when you were trying to record/flash any logs?

It should run, but you need disconnect the logger while trying to read or write with ECUflash. How can you expect both applications to communicate with the ECU via the same com port at the same time?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

How can you expect both applications to communicate with the ECU via the same com port at the same time?

It was something I had discovered by mistake and was passing along the experience to help possibly troubleshoot the quoted post. Thanks

Edited by BeastCoast
@BeastCoast1

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone give me a good idea of what a stock tune should run? All I have done at this point is add the K&N drop in and I'm decently impressed so I want more but I'm not trying to go full race tuning or trying to get the max out of the engine. I like to be able to pass and when the person realizes their being passed I don't want to have to punch it and draw to much attention to myself.

Can someone give me a good idea of what a stock tune should run? All I have done at this point is add the K&N drop in and I'm decently impressed so I want more but I'm not trying to go full race tuning or trying to get the max out of the engine. I like to be able to pass and when the person realizes their being passed I don't want to have to punch it and draw to much attention to myself.

You can PM me with any questions or some of the other guys on here im sure would be willing to help.

@BeastCoast1

What do you mean "run"?

We'll try to help you as best we can, either in this thread (if on topic), or via PM (if off topic).

I was meaning cost. I have heard fluctuations from $600 to $3000. I don't have money just to burn and at the same time I don't want to over stress the engine and shorten it's life too much.

I don't know what the total cost it. I think it depends on what kind of tune you want. He has a couple options last time I checked.

A large benefit of tuning your ECU is drive-ability improvements. This can be custom tuned to your liking.

For example (playing off your desire to pass but not draw attention) if you want to push the throttle 50% and stay between 3500-4500 until you let off it can be tuned that way.

You'll get a good power bump too. If you want to go premium fuel you can bump the timing and get a bit more power. XRT has before and after graphs on his website. You should visit the site and review the info.

I only used XRT, so I can only speak for my experience with him (Edward).

Edward really makes it easy. He'll setup your computer remotely so you can get right to loading ROMS and logging. He'll hop on the phone and drive with you if trying to customize your tune and the logging or words can't get you what you want.

I've had a couple cars tuned via the log/report method and it's hands down been the best thing I ever did to them modification wise. It would be the first thing I spent money on if I was looking for performance increase.

I have been searching the internet as well as the forums here and have been unsuccessful in finding out how to connect with the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable to EcuFlash. It won't load any of the vehicles I select EXCEPT for the BRZ. It will load under that BRZ Vehicle Type setting but asks me to create a definition from scratch.

Does anyone know a clear way to connect to this properly or retrieve the ROM by any other means?

I have been searching the internet as well as the forums here and have been unsuccessful in finding out how to connect with the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable to EcuFlash. It won't load any of the vehicles I select EXCEPT for the BRZ. It will load under that BRZ Vehicle Type setting but asks me to create a definition from scratch.

Does anyone know a clear way to connect to this properly or retrieve the ROM by any other means?

Use the BRZ

Do you have the correct parameters downloaded? Are you mac or PC?

You're suppoed to use the "BRZ" setting

@BeastCoast1

Do you have the correct parameters downloaded? Are you mac or PC?

Thanks guys, so I guess I have it saved correctly.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

The ECU used in BRZ is same as in the Gen6 Legacy/Liberty. Just the software developers haven't updated the software to include Gen6 in the list so that is why you just need to use BRZ. Same ECU so it works fine.

Hopefully in the next update of EcuFlash they'll include the Gen6 in the list as a separate option. But the reality is there's so few tuned Gen6 running around that it may take a little while to happen.