LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

Just weighed my shift knob. Right on 200g as the post said. Just seemed real heavy when I took it off. Anyway thanks for the info. I agree completely about the shifting smoothing right out as the trans heats up. I am in love with the new shifting with the perrin unit. Would not remove it for nothing.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4791566&postcount=8 :)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you had a chance to climb under your 5th Gen and check out the OEM shift lever that the Perrin piece will replace? I was under my car today and noticed that the OEM shift lever on my '10, has a weighted lobe both fore and aft (counterbalanced?) of the trans shift shaft. :confused:

Makes me wonder about the gear change feel (of the shifter) you will get from the Perrin piece, since it doesn't have the outboard weighted lobes. :munch:

Haven't had my car on the road yet. If I don't like the feel of it, I'm thinking of some ideas to make it better. :p

Well, I have been working on coming up with a solution that would give me the shifter throw length and gear engagement feel I will be happy with.

I haven't given the Perrin SSA enough of a chance to see if I could be happy with it long term. My (limited) initial impression was very short shift throws and a notchy feel. I will give it some road time before making a final decision to keep or change.

My impression of the Sti STS, w/Perrin bushing and gear engagement feel of the transmission has been good in all gears except 2nd. My biggest complaint was the longish shift throws.

After looking at the Subaru OEM shift lever (tomahawk), I realized some engineer had spent a fair amount of time to design and configure the weight and shapes of the balancing lobes, to achieve that transmission shifting feel. Soooo .... I decided to modify mine to try to achieve the best of each, and also be able to adjust the length of the shifter throw length to get the feel I'm after.

This is the result of the brainstorm. :hide:

(I hope to get this put on and tested the beginning of June ... more later)

LGT_STS_8.thumb.jpg.5621cce6b2324008a187423c92513ec4.jpg

LGT_STS_9.thumb.jpg.e6ca892b30b865d8977067037789a0bf.jpg

Well, I have been working on coming up with a solution that would give me the shifter throw length and gear engagement feel I will be happy with.

I haven't given the Perrin SSA enough of a chance to see if I could be happy with it long term. My (limited) initial impression was very short shift throws and a notchy feel. I will give it some road time before making a final decision to keep or change.

My impression of the Sti STS, w/Perrin bushing and gear engagement feel of the transmission has been good in all gears except 2nd. My biggest complaint was the longish shift throws.

After looking at the Subaru OEM shift lever (tomahawk), I realized some engineer had spent a fair amount of time to design and configure the weight and shapes of the balancing lobes, to achieve that transmission shifting feel. Soooo .... I decided to modify mine to try to achieve the best of each, and also be able to adjust the length of the shifter throw length to get the feel I'm after.

This is the result of the brainstorm. :hide:

(I hope to get this put on and tested the beginning of June ... more later)

Yes, while an engineer may have designed that for a specific shift feel, he probably designed it for the specific ratio of the stock location of the linkage. if there were many days of engineering in this piece, moving it may still undo the engineering. but you will find out soon?

This is the result of the brainstorm.

Nicely done!

Did you find a replacement for the shaft the cable end slides over, or does the OEM one come apart (it looks like it's a plate that's spot welded in place or something like that - did you just machine off some welds?)

Do you have enough threads to use a locknut instead of a single self-locking nut (might be better if you are going to have to reposition it a few times)

Chris - do you have any thoughts on the combined use of the brass bushing and the short shift adapter? I'm running both, but curious if your development and testing was done without the brass bushing, with it, or both?

The shifter will work great either with or without the bushing, but of course they will complement each other. We did testing with and without it, and got great feedback from both.

I wonder if running the OEM bushing with the short shifter would feel better than the brass one on the short shifter (obviously both will work just fine, but the additional shift lever feel you get with the brass shift bushing (which I really like, by the way) might be too much of a good thing when you add the short shifter) - just a thought if someone is running both, and not liking it.

I wonder if it would be better without the brass bushing...

Yes... But with the drastically reduced throws, that cushioning might be just the ticket. I know its a sacrelig, but its entirely plausible that its better without it. I may give it a try, just to see.

I wonder if running the OEM bushing with the short shifter would feel better than the brass one on the short shifter (obviously both will work just fine, but the additional shift lever feel you get with the brass shift bushing (which I really like, by the way) might be too much of a good thing when you add the short shifter) - just a thought if someone is running both, and not liking it.

:p

Nicely done!

Did you find a replacement for the shaft the cable end slides over, or does the OEM one come apart (it looks like it's a plate that's spot welded in place or something like that - did you just machine off some welds?)

Do you have enough threads to use a locknut instead of a single self-locking nut (might be better if you are going to have to reposition it a few times)

The backside weld on the old pin post was machined off and the OEM post was removed/discarded. The new pin/post was machined from a piece of solid stainless round stock, no welding.

Re: locknut ... final mock up will determine if I have enough clearance as/is from the trans housing, which will determine what I end up doing. I really expect to only set adjustment once, to the measurement I'm after. I could see the adjustability playing more of a role if a different shifter (Boomba, etc...) was used.

Tempted to buy but would like to see more feedback first.

Leave it to BigBopper to reinvent the wheel. J/k we all appreciate your ingenuity and contributions to the forum.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5154953

Fluid swap made all the difference in the world. Its hard to be objectively quantitative about "notchiness", but I'd say this fluid change removed 80% of the added notchiness from the short shift adaptor. Maybe all of it...but its subjective.

That redline stuff is the shiznat.

There was a solid 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick layer of metal shavings on the drain plug magnet. Cleaned all that out. The old fluid was pretty gross. Not sure why they never recommend changing it.

what did you put in the transmission fluid-wise? you mentioned redline and motul - I am guessing Motul gear 300 and maybe redline lightweight shockproof? I switched over to Motul gear 300 a little while back (about 21k miles on the car at the time) - old fluid looked pretty normal and there was just a touch of slime on the magnet. Didn't notice (nor did I expect to see) any real difference in transmission feel. Thought about replacing a little with penzoil synchromesh, but have never done that (the blend folks seem to like over on NASIOC is redline lightweight shockproof, penzoil synchromesh, and then just regular mobil gear oil)

1 qt of Motul 300 and 2.9 QTS of redline lightweight shockproof.

Its the shockproof responsible for the change in feel. Motul is just regular synthetic 75w90, albeit a very good one. I have no idea what adding that 1qt of the motul does, but thats what the nasticoc folks seem to swear by, tried and tested.

I've got 60000km (36k mi) on it.

Yeah. Once I changed the fluid, its pushed me off the love-it/hate-it fence into the love zone.

In fact, I've decided that it engages first, second, and reverse easier/smoother than before the short shift adapter at all.

This mod made the shifts in my civic feel huge. I drove it today after driving the LGT and it was horrible. Maybe I need a short throw for the civic too.

Subaru has made history! Shifting better than a honda! Albeit a subjective opinion but still, gotta take the little victories!

All on one tank of fuel?

Started the 150 mile drive to the track with about 7/8 tank. After 3 sessions I put about 13 gallons in. Drove 2 more sessions and 150 miles back home and have less than 1/4 tank left. After the drive to the track and 5 sessions, the average mileage readout said 7.1 mpg. Basically 100 miles of balls-out boost and lots of 5-6k rpm up and down shifts. When I got home it said 12.6. Lol!

• 4 weeks later...
Just got my Legacy GT about a month ago. It's bone stock. I wanna improve the shifter feel. I'm thinking I could skip the STI STS and just put on this adapter, the bushing, and the shifter stop and get a greatly improved experience. I've gotten the impression that the STI STS doesn't do a whole lot anyway. I guess my question really is, does the STI STS do anything else other than very slightly decreasing throws?

Archived