LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I generally haven't had issues with spirited shifting, mostly because I am throwing it into gear with reckless abandon. But I have hesitated a few times because I was unsure it was the right gear, all other manuals I have driven have pretty much gone into gear on their own with just a nudge in the proper up or down direction. This one is picky at times.

And Gteaser yes throw more money at it! Because if you aren't enabling then you just aren't doing your civic duty as a part of this community! Maybe you need the boomba stick to help get the most smoothness possible!

I generally haven't had issues with spirited shifting, mostly because I am throwing it into gear with reckless abandon. But I have hesitated a few times because I was unsure it was the right gear, all other manuals I have driven have pretty much gone into gear on their own with just a nudge in the proper up or down direction. This one is picky at times.

And Gteaser yes throw more money at it! Because if you aren't enabling then you just aren't doing your civic duty as a part of this community! Maybe you need the boomba stick to help get the most smoothness possible!

As much as I would like to further enable, I have to say the Boomba stick enjoys it's own notchy ride from 1-2 and 2-3 :rolleyes:

I have about 300 miles with the SSA. It's not bad. I like the throw length but there is certainly more effort required to change gears. I also have difficulty getting it in to reverse occasionally (even with going in to 1st first, an old habit from years ago). I do notice more cabin noise as well. I think gteaser used electrical tape around the shaft to muffle the reverse lockout noise; I think that would help some.

It's taking some time to get used to it. I actually don't think I would want to go back to stock despite the cons I mentioned. I still plan to get a weighted knob and I'd like to change out the 18k mile Extra-S I have in the trans right now. Those two things would probably improve the feel.

Hmmm. I have a new Perrin SSA waiting for install, here. With my STI STS, the Perrin bushing, and Extra-S, I have been satisfied with the shifting on the less-than-perfect cable shifter. And yet, the Perrin SSA did entice me.

I had waited a bit to see if those who installed liked the results, and early results were positive. I jumped the gun and purchased. Not smart. When will I learn? Heh. Heh.

The recent negative issue reviews are the precise issues I abhor the most, when shifting gears, and they seem to be amplified by this mod… At the moment, I am satisfied with how things work in my 6M. Guess the bottom line is that the law of unintended consequences always rules…

I figure I will watch the site over the next days, and will wait to install. I may end up selling the boxed Perrin SSA.

Best.

Byll

Hmmm. I have a new Perrin SSA waiting for install, here. With my STI STS, the Perrin bushing, and Extra-S, I have been satisfied with the shifting on the less-than-perfect cable shifter. And yet, the Perrin SSA did entice me.

I had waited a bit to see if those who installed liked the results, and early results were positive. I jumped the gun and purchased. Not smart. When will I learn? Heh. Heh.

The recent negative issue reviews are the precise issues I abhor the most, when shifting gears, and they seem to be amplified by this mod… At the moment, I am satisfied with how things work in my 6M. Guess the bottom line is that the law of unintended consequences always rules…

I figure I will watch the site over the next days, and will wait to install. I may end up selling the boxed Perrin SSA.

Best.

Byll

This is exactly what I was thinking this morning when I read all the latest comments.

I am very happy with mine. Granted my stock shifter had other issues that were resolved during the install, but I don't think the increased notchiness is worth giving up the shorter throws so I'm keeping mine installed.

Is the stock shift knob already pretty heavy? I only ask because I removed mine for the first time the other day and it seemed really heavy. I can not imagine getting one that is heavier.

I weighed mine once it was 165 grams if memory serves. I wouldn't call it heavy.

I weighed mine once it was 165 grams if memory serves. I wouldn't call it heavy.

took me awhile to remember where I saw a pic of it weighed: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4791566&postcount=8

by comparison, the one I have is 475g according to raceseng's site. I'd weigh mine myself, but it took a good while to get the knob oriented just right

I'm thinking a counterweight like OEM may help the feel, as it is a bit notchy but I don't mind. It feels solid and I like the shorter throw but I did mention to s2baru when we were talking about it that a weighted knob could make it feel really nice. I haven't done the bushing and I might not now, we will see. I'm going to explore the possibility of an OEM-style weight setup to make it feel more fluid.

Okay, drove it to work today to spend some more time with the new Short Shifter. Once the tranny fluid warmed up it wasn't "crunchy" anymore. I love the short throw, and the feel is definitely better with warm tranny fluid. Reminds me a lot of my wife's BRZ shifter. During spirited driving gear engagement is definitely quicker and more direct and I didn't have to think at all about which gear I was going to. The jury is still out, but I am definitely going to give it more time to get used to it. I have a track day scheduled for Sunday and I will report back.

Read some more. Thought some more. Drove some more. Called Perrin. Good people. I sent the SSA back to them for a full refund. Just one more in their stock for you guys who wish to do this mod...

Hey guys, I just wanted to post here to give a little more info on the part to help explain how it works, and why we came up with the design.

The PERRIN adapter will add a little effort needed to shift in between the gears, but it is what to be expected when adding a short shifter since it will change the leverage of the shifter.

Regarding the counter weights, we of course thought of that already :) We took a stock shifter, cut them off, and re installed it just to see the difference. We didn’t notice anything different for shifting, and then we modified the stock shifter for a 20% reduction, and later made prototypes in different % differences as seen in the picture below. We’ve been testing different short shifters using a few different methods since April of 2014, the final version we’ve been testing with customers for the last 8 months, and have had some great feedback that reinforced our idea to create the adapter.

http://perrinperformance.com/files/product_assets/PSP-INR-201/shifter_stagesx1200.jpg

This picture shows the process we went though to end up on the adapter. We first made an adapter that would go on the bottom of the rod it self, which required a new cover, and would have added cost, and caused other unforeseen issues. In the picture you can see the modified factory part with the weights cut off where we eventually cut and welded it to make it a 20% reduction. The raw steel version on the right is a 25% reduction. And of course the final design with a 30% reduction is on the far right right. The final adapter design we ended up making because it can be installed relatively easy in a short amount of time, it’s a less expensive part to make, which ends up costing less for the customer, is compatible with the factory short shift kit (which sometimes people don’t even know they have since it can be a port installed option)and it makes a big difference in throws. To help with the slight notchiness added, we are working on a heavy stainless steel shift knob that should be coming out again soon!

As long as it's got a 6MT, it sure will.

There are plenty of worthwhile things that you can do to a 2.5i, it's when you start to expect that they'll make moar power that you're going to run into some naysayers.

Chris - do you have any thoughts on the combined use of the brass bushing and the short shift adapter? I'm running both, but curious if your development and testing was done without the brass bushing, with it, or both?

Just weighed my shift knob. Right on 200g as the post said. Just seemed real heavy when I took it off. Anyway thanks for the info. I agree completely about the shifting smoothing right out as the trans heats up. I am in love with the new shifting with the perrin unit. Would not remove it for nothing.

Archived