LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

Sigh… Just ordered mine…

Cheers.

Byll

PS: So, what are the lobes for on the OEM part? If it is for 'balance,' why does the Perrin product work without the lobes? Yeah… I know… But I am curious.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished up installing the Perrin Short Shift Adapter on my '10 LGT. I took some pictures of the shifter position in 3rd and 4th gear before/after to give everybody some idea of the shifter throw difference.

My car has the Sti STS, so keep that in mind while browsing the pics.

After checking out the lay-out of what needed to be done, I elected to support the trans and drop the crossmember assembly (8 bolts and out of the way). It gave me a clear, straight on, path to drive the roll pin out and made reassembling easy-peasy. No busted knuckles and maniacal cursing.

I already had the car up in the air (4 jack stands) for another project, so working on my back under the car wasn't a problem at all.

Pic #1 - 3rd gear measurement (before)

Pic #2 - 4th gear measurement (before)

Pic #3 - Trans crossmember & OEM (tomahawk) shift lever.

Pic #4 - Trans gear shift shaft

Pic #5 - Done

Pic #6 - 3rd gear measurement (after)

Pic #7 - 4th gear measurement (after)

Didn't get a chance to test it out on the road (I've got 4 cu yd of topsoil & mushroom manure blocking my driveway at the moment).

I did row through the gears, although the engine was not running, so the feel was not typical of running down the road. Short throws with a nice "snick" into gears.

More later ...

LGT_STS_1.thumb.jpg.d1ff7984a60cf8c07c7cfbb70fb2177a.jpg

LGT_STS_2.thumb.jpg.f325e757933c9537a875b703dbbdd178.jpg

LGT_STS_3.thumb.jpg.698aec1eb8acd2f74be365796f03e7bc.jpg

LGT_STS_4.thumb.jpg.0148683999d97da4515cc98c69d9ddcb.jpg

LGT_STS_5.thumb.jpg.82271a169364a98a993b5cec76123cc8.jpg

LGT_STS_6.thumb.jpg.79c423f36a63193ab9dc0bcbc14b728d.jpg

LGT_STS_7.thumb.jpg.095b8dfcef2fa9c24746d9a5966487d4.jpg

And that is the WC Lathe Werks SS knob, correct? It sits a slight bit lower than stock?

Correct on the WC Lathe Werks SS knob.

Not sure about height difference. I never had the stock knob. I had a Sti Leather Knob before this.

Yup. The gear shift lever actually goes up inside the WC Lathe Werks knob, and there is a clever alignment device up in there, that allows one to get shift patterns 'straight.'

The OEM leather knob rides on top of the lever.

Yup. The gear shift lever actually goes up inside the WC Lathe Werks knob, and there is a clever alignment device up in there, that allows one to get shift patterns 'straight.'

The OEM leather knob rides on top of the lever.

The top of the OEM knob is only as far from the top of the lever as the thickness of the clip in shift pattern piece. Maybe a quarter inch?

Its as 'up inside' as it gets.

Sigh… Just ordered mine…

Cheers.

Byll

PS: So, what are the lobes for on the OEM part? If it is for 'balance,' why does the Perrin product work without the lobes? Yeah… I know… But I am curious.

I imagine the lobes are simply to make it heavier. The weight helps the car go into gear a bit less notchy. We used to add weighted shift bars on vw golfs for just that purpose. I could be wrong and I still do not understand its shape, but that is my best guess.

Damn. This pin is a bitch. I've been messing with it for the past hour and it's not budging. used some heat and Pb blast, still nothing. Also removed the sub-assembly for clearance.

BigBobber how hard/easy was it for you to remove that pin ?

A 3/16 punch. Got it tho. Apparently I'm just weak and couldn't hammer it out hard enough.

Please don't think I'm pointing this response directly at you ibr_adam, this is for general consumption. ;)

Weak shouldn't have anything to do with it. You just need to line up the 3/16 pin punch straight in line with the pin, then get a solid hit on the punch with a medium sized ball-peen hammer. After you get some initial movement on the pin, it just taps out easily.

I wouldn't use any heat on it (there's a seal on the trans shaft that can be damaged). PB Blaster is Ok to lube the roll pin, but it shouldn't be necessary.

If you don't have a 3/16 pin punch, you should buy/borrow one.

Archived