LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

All the mods will work with the stock shifter. But be warned the shifter stop will cause the reverse lockout to pinch the crap outta your hand if you're not careful. The lockout will slide up on top of the stop when pulled against it to abruptly.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got my Legacy GT about a month ago. It's bone stock. I wanna improve the shifter feel. I'm thinking I could skip the STI STS and just put on this adapter, the bushing, and the shifter stop and get a greatly improved experience. I've gotten the impression that the STI STS doesn't do a whole lot anyway. I guess my question really is, does the STI STS do anything else other than very slightly decreasing throws?

There is some improved feel as the gear engagement is more positive and the springs are stiffer, requiring more force to move the shifter stick left or right when in neutral. The shift knob will also sit a little lower (~ 1/2" IIRC). Throw reduction is pretty minimal though as you noted.

Is it worth almost $300? :rolleyes:

There is some improved feel as the gear engagement is more positive and the springs are stiffer, requiring more force to move the shifter stick left or right when in neutral. The shift knob will also sit a little lower (~ 1/2" IIRC). Throw reduction is pretty minimal though as you noted.

Is it worth almost $300? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I think I will skip it, at least for now. I can better spend the money elsewhere.

Start with the dampener delete and shifter stop that's the most important IMO. Then look at the sts and bushing. Check your IC to TB hose if your car has any miles on it, which I assume it does. And if the hose has not been replaced it will fail soon if it hasn't already.

Start with the dampener delete and shifter stop that's the most important IMO. Then look at the sts and bushing. Check your IC to TB hose if your car has any miles on it, which I assume it does. And if the hose has not been replaced it will fail soon if it hasn't already.

Well, I'm having a new clutch put in next week, so I figured I would have them put on the bushing and SSA while they're under there. I was going to have them do the dampener delete as well. I'll put on the shifter stop myself. Thanks for the info on the IC to TB hose.

• 3 weeks later...
So I put the SSA in my car over the weekend. FML did it take forever. Would have been easier on a lift. It's very crunchy feeling. Still waiting on my weighted shift knob but I will change the fluid to was mentioned. Noticed my seal where the crank comes into the trans is leaking. Anyone ever have that?

image.thumb.jpg.8e708a5c708c17f5a0991c2984685ac2.jpg

Is the fluid level low?

Why did it take forever? Have trouble getting the roll pin out ? The right type of punch makes all the difference. I took the advice of others and used a couple socket extensions and it only took maybe 5 minutes to get it out.

Agreed on "crunchy", swapping fluid to the Redline/Motul mix solved that for me, otherwise I'd have gone back to stock.

So I put the SSA in my car over the weekend. FML did it take forever. Would have been easier on a lift. It's very crunchy feeling. Still waiting on my weighted shift knob but I will change the fluid to was mentioned. Noticed my seal where the crank comes into the trans is leaking. Anyone ever have that?

where the propeller shaft goes into the transmission - there is an oil seal which you need to replace. The seal is p/n 806735210 and is only $8, but it's a pain to replace - need to remove the propeller shaft, then pull the seal, then press in the replacement.

I guess my question really is, does the STI STS do anything else other than very slightly decreasing throws?
As pointed out, it definitely changes the feel of the shifter by stiffening up the springs that control lateral motion, and takes a bunch of slop out of the system - it reduces the throws by a little under 20% (someone measured 17% a number of years back) - my advice would be to find someone with the STS and see how it feels. The WRX shifter (which costs less) also improves shifter feel, but doesn't appear to reduce the throw. If you search for threads on the STi short shifter, there are quite a few very positive reviews of it (for a while, it was literally the only option for the LGT). The combination of the '15 WRX shifter and the Perrin short shifter is probably the best bang for your buck in terms of improving shifter feel and getting a shorter throw.

The Perrin shift bushing is a nice upgrade, too - makes the shifter feel much more solid going into gear.

Is the fluid level low?

Why did it take forever? Have trouble getting the roll pin out ? The right type of punch makes all the difference. I took the advice of others and used a couple socket extensions and it only took maybe 5 minutes to get it out.

Agreed on "crunchy", swapping fluid to the Redline/Motul mix solved that for me, otherwise I'd have gone back to stock.

Two months ago the trans fluid was over full when I first noticed the leak. Now it seems to be at a normal lever but still leaking. It took forever cause I had the wrong punch.

where the propeller shaft goes into the transmission - there is an oil seal which you need to replace. The seal is p/n 806735210 and is only $8, but it's a pain to replace - need to remove the propeller shaft, then pull the seal, then press in the replacement.

Sounds like this has happened to you before.

As pointed out, it definitely changes the feel of the shifter by stiffening up the springs that control lateral motion, and takes a bunch of slop out of the system - it reduces the throws by a little under 20% (someone measured 17% a number of years back) - my advice would be to find someone with the STS and see how it feels. The WRX shifter (which costs less) also improves shifter feel, but doesn't appear to reduce the throw. If you search for threads on the STi short shifter, there are quite a few very positive reviews of it (for a while, it was literally the only option for the LGT). The combination of the '15 WRX shifter and the Perrin short shifter is probably the best bang for your buck in terms of improving shifter feel and getting a shorter throw.

The Perrin shift bushing is a nice upgrade, too - makes the shifter feel much more solid going into gear.

I put on the SSA and the bushing last week. I had a new clutch put in so I had the shop put them on while the tranny was out. Driving home from the shop, it was very notchy and kinda hard to find the gear sometimes. Then I put in the shift stop from Perrin. That made a world of difference. Now the shifts are super precise as well as short and quick. I am super satisfied.

The STI STS might improve things a bit over the stock box, put with the money and hassle of install, I'm not sure it will be worth it. I happy, so I'll leave it be.

If the wrx shifter doesn't change much does the wrx sts change anything or are they the same thing?

No idea - a couple of folks have installed the regular WRX shifter, but I don't know if anyone has tried the short shifter yet - the price is right up there with the Legacy STi short shifter, though, so I would be surprised if someone did the experiment.

So I'm really liking the SSA. I was on the fence at first but after a month of use, I really like it. I have to swap the fluid yet and I'm sure that will make everything that much better, but even as is, I wouldn't want to go back to stock. I recommend anyone that passed on this due to earlier reviews give it a second thought.

If the wrx shifter doesn't change much does the wrx sts change anything or are they the same thing?

No idea - a couple of folks have installed the regular WRX shifter, but I don't know if anyone has tried the short shifter yet - the price is right up there with the Legacy STi short shifter, though, so I would be surprised if someone did the experiment.

I installed the WRX STS. To me it feels better, stiffer and more precise, than the Legacy STS, but still not shorter throws. It was about $50 less than the Legacy STS.

And I have all the bits that Perrin makes for us installed as well, but they all came after the WRX STS.

Installed the SSA today. I still have the OEM shifter. I did both the clutch damper delete and Perrin brass bushing already. I have to say, I was planning on getting the WRX SS unit (I already have the Perrin version2 shift-stop on hand), but the SSA made the throw so short that I don't think that's even necessary. I've had cars with SS and driven many with SS and I think the throw is as short with the best of them. I'll probably throw the shiftstop on there since I already got it, but at this point, I'm just gonna get a wc lathe werks 1lb knob and call it a day.

PS. Has anyone see their brass 1lb shift knob in person? It doesn't have any engraving options but it's a solid brass and should have much better cooling than steel. :)

http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_7_15&products_id=354

BrassSS-1.JPG.b1106bc803b62a5585734ee0848c9d99.JPG

Installed the SSA today. I still have the OEM shifter. I did both the clutch damper delete and Perrin brass bushing already. I have to say, I was planning on getting the WRX SS unit (I already have the Perrin version2 shift-stop on hand), but the SSA made the throw so short that I don't think that's even necessary. I've had cars with SS and driven many with SS and I think the throw is as short with the best of them. I'll probably throw the shiftstop on there since I already got it, but at this point, I'm just gonna get a wc lathe werks 1lb knob and call it a day.

PS. Has anyone see their brass 1lb shift knob in person? It doesn't have any engraving options but it's a solid brass and should have much better cooling than steel. :)

http://lathewerks.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_7_15&products_id=354

Definitely put the shift stop on. It takes like 10 mins and really tightens up the feel. Made a big difference with mine.

Archived