LegacyGT.com

Perrin 2015 WRX Short Shift Adapter

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ordered mine today. I'm trying to decide if I want to pair it with the boomba shifter?

I really love the setup I've got now. The Boomba shifter will really only reduce the overall height of the shift stick bit when you pair it with the new bracket, the overall effect is very nice. The bracket helps the throw distance and the Boomba stick helps the height of the shifter.

I really love the setup I've got now. The Boomba shifter will really only reduce the overall height of the shift stick bit when you pair it with the new bracket, the overall effect is very nice. The bracket helps the throw distance and the Boomba stick helps the height of the shifter.

The lower height should also result in a shorter throw, provided the pivot point is in the same place relative to the stock shifter.

Attempted the install today... anyone have trouble with the 3 bolts on the back of the trans??? One is easy to get to (side), one is a bit tougher but do-able (lower rear), but the upper rear one is way the F up there! With the other 2 off was able to bend the shield out of the way, but after messing around with the roll pin (I think I need a longer punch) for about 30min my neighbor (who I was blocking in the driveway) had to get out. No choice but to put it all back together and try another day.

So frustrating! Can't stand being bested by inanimate objects! There's no trick to the roll pin, right? Just get the punch on it and bang it with a hammer? Felt like I got some good whacks on it, but it never budged... Can I PB blast it? (there's quite a bit of salt/rust around it, which could be problematic)

Grrr....

Cursing, followed by prayers to your chosen deity, followed by more cursing seemed to help me with the roll pin. I do think a long punch would've helped me greatly.

My car did not have the shield that needs to be bent out of the way though. Anyone else have a similar situation?

Couldn't hurt to throw a little PB Blaster up there beforehand, let it penetrate around the roll pin a little. I have to imagine mine's going to be about the same way when I get to it.

True. Unfortunately, the lever arm on the bottom side of the pivot point is also shorter, negating the benefit of the reduced upper length.

Well, that's just silly.

Attempted the install today... anyone have trouble with the 3 bolts on the back of the trans??? One is easy to get to (side), one is a bit tougher but do-able (lower rear), but the upper rear one is way the F up there! With the other 2 off was able to bend the shield out of the way, but after messing around with the roll pin (I think I need a longer punch) for about 30min my neighbor (who I was blocking in the driveway) had to get out. No choice but to put it all back together and try another day.

So frustrating! Can't stand being bested by inanimate objects! There's no trick to the roll pin, right? Just get the punch on it and bang it with a hammer? Felt like I got some good whacks on it, but it never budged... Can I PB blast it? (there's quite a bit of salt/rust around it, which could be problematic)

Grrr....

I had a 6" long punch and then on top of that found a deep socket that the end of the punch fit into snugly (in my case it was an 11mm), I then put the punch in the socket and attached it to a few different sizes of socket extensions depending on the angle I was trying to achieve, and then hit the end of the extension with the hammer. My overall length was between 10-15" depending on if I was removing or installing the pin, the socket and extensions really helped with getting a better angle. I also loosened the trans subframe on the passenger side (I was going to loosen the whole thing but broke one of my snapon impact sockets trying to loosen the left side it was so tight, and I didn't feel like busting out the breaker bar).

Installed in my '11 outback today, I didn't have a heat shield on mine. Where I had previously installed the perrin bushing, installing it on this adapter its loose? I had only had the one washer on the bushing before I think I need the other washer/black spacer. Shifts are definitely shorter but notchy and a lot more in gear slop than before but I think that's because of the bushing. Need to get that fixed and lube it up.

Installed today. Driving impressions:

MUCH shorter throws, to the point where the two-stage gear engagement is imperceptible and it made me a bit anxious at first like as if I engaged the synchros and not meshed the gears and letting out the clutch would result in terrible grinding... But no... Engaged perfectly.

The up side...much shorter throws and much less throttle feedback in the shifter from the transmission movement, probably just because of the leverage change. Better than I was expecting. The downside... With much shorter throws comes amplified 'gravel feel'. The gearbox feels even less-smooth/more-chunky now since it takes more force to mesh the gears. Also, there is significantly more clunky shifter noise in the cabin during gear changes.

Its definitely good... But will take some getting used to, and I am not so sure it will result in quicker shifts in practice.

So its not just me....

I feel like it has made shifting be more laborious, not less. Second gear in particular is a bit hard to engage. The synchros in these trannies suck as is is, but this seems to make matters worse.

I'm on the fence. I'll leave it on for a while and digest it some more.

So its not just me....

I feel like it has made shifting be more laborious, not less. Second gear in particular is a bit hard to engage. The synchros in these trannies suck as is is, but this seems to make matters worse.

I'm on the fence. I'll leave it on for a while and digest it some more.

Lol so it's not just me that feels 1 to 2 shift can be rough at times.

Archived