LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

What kind of support material does your printer use? The problem with this is all of the small cavities and whatnot that I incorporated into the design will more than likely be filled with support material. If you don't have the support material that can be dissolved in a solution then I feel like it would be a huge PITA to get it all cleaned out. Especially the tube to route the wires.

To this end, I'd be willing to upgrade my printer to a dual nozzle setup (~$500) if there was demand. That way I could print them in ABS with HIPS as the support material. It would have to be a GB style order. As long as my cut covered materials and the upgrade I'd be game.

Actually I'd have to design and build my own based on this. They don't use the new toolheads yet for the dually's

https://www.lulzbot.com/store/tool-heads/lulzbot-taz-flexydually-tool-head-v1-0

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To this end, I'd be willing to upgrade my printer to a dual nozzle setup (~$500) if there was demand. That way I could print them in ABS with HIPS as the support material. It would have to be a GB style order. As long as my cut covered materials and the upgrade I'd be game.

Actually I'd have to design and build my own based on this. They don't use the new toolheads yet for the dually's

https://www.lulzbot.com/store/tool-heads/lulzbot-taz-flexydually-tool-head-v1-0

Ha 3D printed 3D printer head. Awesome :lol:

Yea I can't imagine trying to get all the support material out of the pod if it didn't dissolve.

So I also just noticed I never took an actual picture of the pod installed (without the A-pillar). I'll grab a few tonight so people have some eye candy to look at :)

As promised here are some pictures :) I don't exactly have an interior right now so I tired to get a good picture of how it would look sitting in the driver seat but I think I was a little on the low side.

DUDE! lookin good... nice fox body

Can we get a 3D print of 6th gen foglight cover? It basically blocks the foglight output a bit. It overlap the lens a bit over 1/2".

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

I might have missed it when I was reading through, but when will these be available to buy?!?! this is exactly what I have been looking for. I really don't like the Perrin gauge mount I have on the steering column.

Eye candy:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/18/156ecdda83b7eb8ec915628de99f3e3c.jpg

Updated to show all 4 screens, and you can just barely see the Arduino on the backside (blue, it's in the center on the back of the Green ECB). Apparently i designed the green ECB off center, and there were some screen location discrepancies, so the an updated FDM front (not shown) and this rear plate are on order and should arrive friday. The smoke plexi cover is on order too, but that might be a while. The spider in the back is the mount for the cubby to give it rigidity; mounts to the rear of the clock (in my car at least...).

Could mount 6 screens, but who has 6 guages? and 4 screens was expensive enough. I might look at one larger screen, but resolution would drop, and i'd have less control of what i can show.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Well, second round of parts arrived, and it all fits, but i heavily modded and then just removed the top pieces (why you see blue ecb up there). Some final tweaks, and get those ordered in a week, and by that time maybe the plexi will be cut. Or i'll just buy some and cut it myself in seconds... :-/

I did upload some code and combined a few sets of testing code to create a nearly finished set. AFR and boost/vacuum will be all i'll have running at first. Want to get it running decent before i stick my oil pressure sensor in, in case i can't just relocate the regular oil pressure sensor (from front to rear galley).

uploadfromtaptalk1448076951655.thumb.jpg.5d85cdb41d18252a2311193e6a275778.jpg

Edited by Flinkly
I
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Anyone considered printing some molded switch housings for the block off plates next to the side mirror adjusts? I saw a guy did it several years ago but couldn't get that file to download where he linked it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/df7099f723d676352f52dff56b05caff.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/0cfbea9854e03f8a58d080ff2e7e0699.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by 88rangerman

I might have missed it when I was reading through, but when will these be available to buy?!?! this is exactly what I have been looking for. I really don't like the Perrin gauge mount I have on the steering column.

Well I changed the model so hopefully it fits right now. However, I don't have an A pillar to test it with. If I can get an A pillar I can know for sure. Then once I modify my first print enough I could sell it/give it to someone.

Eye candy:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/18/156ecdda83b7eb8ec915628de99f3e3c.jpg

Updated to show all 4 screens, and you can just barely see the Arduino on the backside (blue, it's in the center on the back of the Green ECB). Apparently i designed the green ECB off center, and there were some screen location discrepancies, so the an updated FDM front (not shown) and this rear plate are on order and should arrive friday. The smoke plexi cover is on order too, but that might be a while. The spider in the back is the mount for the cubby to give it rigidity; mounts to the rear of the clock (in my car at least...).

Could mount 6 screens, but who has 6 guages? and 4 screens was expensive enough. I might look at one larger screen, but resolution would drop, and i'd have less control of what i can show.

That looks awesome! So is most of that 2D? Have you considered water jetting or laser cutting the pieces?

What are people using for primers to paint their 3D prints, I came across this stuff its $25 a bottle but seems to do a pretty good job.

12227207_1648607525391659_6514292543572480208_n.jpg?oh=edb2c27cff7af139ac4ec660407fe9aa&oe=56EA513A

I usually just sand it down then use a high build primer like that. I usually use the rustoleum stuff. Then sand again. Repeat :lol: Bodywork is a tedious process and I'm a huge perfectionist so once I start it takes awhile haha. Lately I have just been leaving the as printed finish.

Anyone considered printing some molded switch housings for the block off plates next to the side mirror adjusts? I saw a guy did it several years ago but couldn't get that file to download where he linked it.

I'm sure someone could print these. Do you have the files for them?

I'll see if I can get mine out and model it. Do you need it printed too?

I don't think so. I have a couple local connections for printing but nobody good enough with the software to do it.

Thanks though! I'll have to see what their capabilities are. If you plan it around a certain switch type just let me know. I'm looking at maybe a simple rocker w/LED or a push button. Factory look lol.