LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also going to try and change up the order that the model generates so then it is easier to change just the pod design

Forgive me if this has already been asked here, but is there a single pod design in the works? Just curious as I would be very interested. I have seen the one that Block8head makes, just curious if something similar will be done here?

Thanks!

Forgive me if this has already been asked here, but is there a single pod design in the works? Just curious as I would be very interested. I have seen the one that Block8head makes, just curious if something similar will be done here?

Thanks!

Once I get the twin pod perfected I was going to see about making a single one after I get the vent model complete by itself.

So I got just the vent remodeled and not dependent on other parts of the pods. That was quite annoying actually :lol: I made a few little changes on the retention to help it fit a little better.

Now with this I can just model the pods off of it and do however many I want. Single, double, quad, OVER 9000, etc

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/Vent%20only_zps2mobhw9x.jpg

I've been really busy finishing the insulation in my shop and pulling apart my car so I haven't had much spare time. sorry :/

• 2 weeks later...

I might as well start here since this thread is the reason I joined this forum. :lol:

This is what I have printed for my legacy so far.

http://i.imgur.com/l2HvLq6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IUtIE9z.jpg

This is my second revision as the first collided with some of the metal work and also made it so I couldn't put the door card back on.....

I was next looking into making a boost gauge pod which is how I came across this thread.

I'm thinking of removing the NAV unit & replacing it with a piece of plastic (or metal), attaching an L bracket to that, and then attaching the mounting bracket for my radio's control head to that. (this is for a kenwood D710ga)

Would it be cheaper/easier/quicker for someone to print it, or should I just go to a metal shop and buy some scrap aluminum sheets?

The part of the bracket outlined in green is where it will mount the L-bracket. The vertical arm fits into the back of the control head.

d710_mountPlate.jpg.1b0df295f443fd4b7cc9036003b9eced.jpg

Edited by ExitVisa

That looks really good. What modeling program are you using?

At work we use 3ds max for our visualizations so I am most comfortable with it. I usually do all my dimensioning in autocad and then import my splines into 3ds max to do the 3d build.

For the speaker adaptors I decided to build it all in autocad.

I want to get my hands on a copy of Inventor as it would probably be better for this sort of thing. Have used it a while ago with success.

At work we use 3ds max for our visualizations so I am most comfortable with it. I usually do all my dimensioning in autocad and then import my splines into 3ds max to do the 3d build.

For the speaker adaptors I decided to build it all in autocad.

I want to get my hands on a copy of Inventor as it would probably be better for this sort of thing. Have used it a while ago with success.

I don't post in this thread often, nor have I 3d printed enough to be as awesome as you guys, but a big +1 for inventor. I use it primarily for my 3D print projects. The GUI is damn near perfect for it!

*I get Inventor Professional for free, as a student. :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Hmmm I guess I was thinking of something else because I don't have that.

Here's what else I printed :D

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20151214_190054_zpspsb70eem.jpg

However I don't have an A-pillar in my car to test and see if I moved the pods over enough to not hit anymore :(

Can i please get the drawings. It costs basically my salary to import 1. i have a printer so it would be easier.

• 3 weeks later...
Any designers/builders ever think of designing a bolt-on brake ducting.

Maybe something like this:

http://www.rcephotos.com/photos/albums/album54/Racecomp_Engineering_Brake_Ducts.sized.jpg

I could see this working. The need for it though is another thing. Do you have any ideas on where you would pull the air from? Abs won't hold up to intense brake heat if near the rotor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I could see this working. The need for it though is another thing. Do you have any ideas on where you would pull the air from? Abs won't hold up to intense brake heat if near the rotor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I was thinking that the air could be pulled from the foglight holes. I know that rooducts already has a 3-d printed design that bolts to the frame, but I was thinking this could be smaller and have air flow directly to the rotor. The rooducts product would need additional hose to reach the rotor surface.

http://rooducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/IMG_20140307_191802_080.jpg

I was thinking that the air could be pulled from the foglight holes. I know that rooducts already has a 3-d printed design that bolts to the frame, but I was thinking this could be smaller and have air flow directly to the rotor. The rooducts product would need additional hose to reach the rotor surface.

I have seen a lot of success just ducting air from the front fog light area into the wheel well. This does wonders for cooling rotors. Doesn't quite have that race car flare to it though compared to ducting directly through the heat shield.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I'd be concerned about heat from the brakes deforming the ducts... Brakes can get crazy hot, and the whole point of 3D printing materials it that they turn into putty when heated. :)

That said, there's probably plenty of good ways to print the front portion of the duct and then use conventional duct material for the last foot or so. Or print something to interface a regular duct hose with the bumper / fog-light / etc.

In red ABS now...

I'll put the files on Thingiverse, but note that the STL files are best used for the carbon-wrapped strut bar. The fit on the raw aluminum bar shown here is OK, but could be improved a little. I'll put the openscad files up as well.

Uploaded:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1428733

I was going to clean up the .scad files since they're pretty ugly, but... oh well. :redface: