LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

I don't think so. I have a couple local connections for printing but nobody good enough with the software to do it.

Thanks though! I'll have to see what their capabilities are. If you plan it around a certain switch type just let me know. I'm looking at maybe a simple rocker w/LED or a push button. Factory look lol.

I'd like to have a switch housing for that position. It would be the perfect place to put the switch for my light bar.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone considered printing some molded switch housings for the block off plates next to the side mirror adjusts? I saw a guy did it several years ago but couldn't get that file to download where he linked it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/df7099f723d676352f52dff56b05caff.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/22/0cfbea9854e03f8a58d080ff2e7e0699.jpg

Unfortunately no. I've tried to message the original post owner but to no avail. It's uploaded to shapeways.com but I couldn't get it to download from there either.

Link - http://www.shapeways.com/product/8Q62ZNK79/switch-plate-for-4th-gen-legacy-smaller

I'm in the process of making a light bar for my OBXT and trying to find a place that's be best suited for two switches… And that would be a great oem location, I figure the middle bottom slot could be also used as well for a switch location?

EDIT: When you say you tried to download it, do you mean you paid for the file/print and you were just given a print or you actually just received nothing?

Edited by argyle409

Agreed, I'm going to try and download the file (which is free) once I'm at school and see about printing it.

On another note, curious does anyone in here have access to a 3D scanner?

check the first page it shows everyone with a printer or access to design software

I'm in the process of making a light bar for my OBXT and trying to find a place that's be best suited for two switches… And that would be a great oem location, I figure the middle bottom slot could be also used as well for a switch location?

EDIT: When you say you tried to download it, do you mean you paid for the file/print and you were just given a print or you actually just received nothing?

No, the OP thread said that it should be available to download through the site if he uploaded it correctly. But it didn't work. I had planned to just order it but hadn't made it that far just yet.

No, the OP thread said that it should be available to download through the site if he uploaded it correctly. But it didn't work. I had planned to just order it but hadn't made it that far just yet.

I was able to download it, and opened it in solidworks just fine. I'm in the process of having it printing right now. If he made it in say a 2014 version of solidworks, you won't be able to open it in 2013 or later.

I was able to download it, and opened it in solidworks just fine. I'm in the process of having it printing right now. If he made it in say a 2014 version of solidworks, you won't be able to open it in 2013 or later.

Could you post the stl here or email it to me.?

Shot in the dark, did anyone have the model for the E brake boot frame complete? I can print it, I'm just waiting for my caliper to come in.

That's a great part to have in a shared repository - I'm pretty sure I/PO broke mine when removing it. Maybe we should start collecting these files to Thingiverse or some other site?

That's a great part to have in a shared repository - I'm pretty sure I/PO broke mine when removing it. Maybe we should start collecting these files to Thingiverse or some other site?

Mine was shattered by the previous owner into 4 pieces, so it's going to require some fancy rebuilding to get it looking right. The positive thing is, ABS is pretty cheap, so I can reinforce it a bit more than the OEM part is.

Guess who's back? :)

I may or may not have printed something new.

discojon you can add me to the list on the first page for 3D scanning also.

As far as the Ebrake boot frame thing, do you have a picture of what exactly you are talking about? Mine is out of the car so I can scan it quick and or model it.

Guess who's back? :)

As far as the Ebrake boot frame thing, do you have a picture of what exactly you are talking about? Mine is out of the car so I can scan it quick and or model it.

Absolutely. Please see attached. Mine is shattered, but it should be good enough to get the idea.

clwdfke.thumb.jpg.81c1c65717c86d8f2e1d5aeb02f730a0.jpg

IMG_20151214_193846201.thumb.jpg.c94d95c10d042b3a317258dcb2c66db3.jpg

IMG_20151214_193901567.thumb.jpg.683530e5a2b394e96d3fad61a977c59e.jpg

I have a project doing exactly this right now. Waiting for parts but I ended up sanding the tabs down on the blank insert piece to allow it to "slide" in the space. I plan to add two led fog lights and use this location with the addition of something similar to this to allow for push button access. http://shop.nightflasherleds.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/u/pushbutton.jpg

I'll try and make a DIY once I have all the items and time to knock it out.

Absolutely. Please see attached. Mine is shattered, but it should be good enough to get the idea.

Hmmm I guess I was thinking of something else because I don't have that.

Here's what else I printed :D

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20151214_190054_zpspsb70eem.jpg

However I don't have an A-pillar in my car to test and see if I moved the pods over enough to not hit anymore :(

did I miss somehting not reading all 50 pages? What modeling tools are used to design these parts? Are the parts being shared or this is a list of who's making what?

It's a free-for-all right now. Some of us have modeling tools such as SolidWorks, Autodesk Fusion 360, Sketchup, Blender, NX, CATIA, etc. I think the idea is to request someone print a part on the first page.

We definitely should look into making a repository (Github? Thingiverse?) for files if we want to make it an open source project.

Page 1 has a post with a list of people in it. I know Discojon has current CNC routing capabilities and a Lulzbot TAZ 5 printer.

I have a 3D printer as well if anyone needs a job done, send me a PM.

If we really get into this, I can look into making molds for casting urethane or making injection molds (we'd need to find someone with a injection molding machine).

It's a free-for-all right now. Some of us have modeling tools such as SolidWorks, Autodesk Fusion 360, Sketchup, Blender, NX, CATIA, etc. I think the idea is to request someone print a part on the first page.

We definitely should look into making a repository (Github? Thingiverse?) for files if we want to make it an open source project.

Page 1 has a post with a list of people in it. I know Discojon has current CNC routing capabilities and a Lulzbot TAZ 5 printer.

I have a 3D printer as well if anyone needs a job done, send me a PM.

If we really get into this, I can look into making molds for casting urethane or making injection molds (we'd need to find someone with a injection molding machine).

I have a friend who works at husky injection molders so i can see if he can run any parts for us on there test machines and I'm sure they would come out great cuz those guys know what the hell they are doin, but it would likely be a "wait around for the machine to not be busy" type of deal.