LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, when I saw all the pictures of making that, I wasn't sure how I like it. But now that I see it almost installed, I think that would actually be a really nice choice for me to go with for a couple gauges.

I can just move my phone suction cup mount up a little higher to see it so you just don't block it and then I should be ok

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm going to be digging into this soon. I think there is enough demand for direct fit vents to build some.

That would be awesome. Ive been trying to get some of these for a while but i know the JDM clips are different. Please keep me updated on this and if you need anything there's existing info on it here is the link to the thread on it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/would-interested-usdm-08-09-rear-bumper-ventsi-164272.html?t=164272

Very nice print! Makes me want to upgrade to a dual nozzle setup. I spent 45 min yesterday digging out support material from a print.

We put our stuff in a bath and let it soak and dissolve all the support. What are you using?

Seeing that pod and how well it's done makes me want to prioritize the additional gauges I want. They got back burnered because I couldn't find a suitable mounting solution

Um, when I saw all the pictures of making that, I wasn't sure how I like it. But now that I see it almost installed, I think that would actually be a really nice choice for me to go with for a couple gauges.

I can just move my phone suction cup mount up a little higher to see it so you just don't block it and then I should be ok

Well you don't get one then :p

That would be awesome. Ive been trying to get some of these for a while but i know the JDM clips are different. Please keep me updated on this and if you need anything there's existing info on it here is the link to the thread on it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/would-interested-usdm-08-09-rear-bumper-ventsi-164272.html?t=164272

He's the one who pm'd me asking them to model/scan them for him but never ended up sending them.

On a more depressing note, someone decided to slam into my spec B the other night and just take off :( Was a nice surprise to wake up to in the morning. So the car is going to be in the body shop for about 2 weeks so I wont get to be able to mess with the fitment anymore on the car. I will, in the meantime, shift the pods over towards the middle slightly so that they wont hit.

We put our stuff in a bath and let it soak and dissolve all the support. What are you using?

Well you don't get one then :p

He's the one who pm'd me asking them to model/scan them for him but never ended up sending them.

On a more depressing note, someone decided to slam into my spec B the other night and just take off :( Was a nice surprise to wake up to in the morning. So the car is going to be in the body shop for about 2 weeks so I wont get to be able to mess with the fitment anymore on the car. I will, in the meantime, shift the pods over towards the middle slightly so that they wont hit.

Wait, now that I want one I can't have one?

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, surfaces in Solidworks is far from ideal. We use SW and Catia at work. R&D uses Catia while us Production Engineers use Solidworks and AutoCAD. There is talk of merging everyone onto Catia.... Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

I have a copy of NX on my old laptop, so there are versions out there to be had...

:hide:

Wait, now that I want one I can't have one?

What do you mean? It's just put on hold for a week or two :lol: I can change the design of the one I have but I don't have a car to test it on until I get mine back.

Yes, surfaces in Solidworks is far from ideal. We use SW and Catia at work. R&D uses Catia while us Production Engineers use Solidworks and AutoCAD. There is talk of merging everyone onto Catia.... Not sure how I feel about that to be honest.

I have a copy of NX on my old laptop, so there are versions out there to be had...

:hide:

Yea I'm in New Product Development here. Honestly the switch was rough.

I've used Solidworks every day for the past 5 years or so... switching would be agony.

I learned solid modeling on SW so it was difficult to switch. Catia seems to be a more powerful program with a lot more capabilities (FEA, Surfacing, etc). The only thing I don't like is that we don't have the kinetics licesnsing so making moving models is a lot more difficult than in SW. I think the most annoying and difficult thing about the switch was getting used to the new hotkey system and new mouse button layout.

You're speaking about this link? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea....html?t=164272

What do you mean he asked you to scan them but he never sent them? Did he want you to scan the clips off the back of the USDM reflectors?

I'm not really sure how I'm going to begin, I'll probably just measure them up and do a few test prints to tune them in. I don't know much about scanning, but I'm under the impression that you cant easily edit the file you get. I'd rather have a fully defined model that I can tweak.

P.S I just ordered the dual extruder upgrade for our Airwolf HDx. I've got 4 lbs of HIPS, 4 lbs of ABS, and 2 gallons of d-Limonene on the way. What is in your chemical bath, and how often do you change the liquid?

You're speaking about this link? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea....html?t=164272

What do you mean he asked you to scan them but he never sent them? Did he want you to scan the clips off the back of the USDM reflectors?

I'm not really sure how I'm going to begin, I'll probably just measure them up and do a few test prints to tune them in. I don't know much about scanning, but I'm under the impression that you cant easily edit the file you get. I'd rather have a fully defined model that I can tweak.

P.S I just ordered the dual extruder upgrade for our Airwolf HDx. I've got 4 lbs of HIPS, 4 lbs of ABS, and 2 gallons of d-Limonene on the way. What is in your chemical bath, and how often do you change the liquid?

Yes that is the thread. He asked me to scan both the vent and the reflector and send him back an editable file. I was going to try and combine them together on my end also. He just hasn't sent anything yet. I think he is still waiting to get one of the two pieces back.

3D scanning you can't really edit the scan. You more or less get a "dumb solid" that you use as a reference. I can take 2D slices of it and dimension it that way to build off of it but I like to build to the "dumb solid" as I feel that works better. Basically you have a silhouette of the part you are wanting to copy and build your part to match it. Depending on the file I import it as you can do some editing with it but not too much. It all depends on the program you use.

As far as the chemical bath I will check today and find out.

I measure stuff all the time using a Romer arm and contact probe at work... there's no reason to edit whatever you measure because in essence, even with a scanner, you're just measuring points on a surface. If you edit what you measure, how do you know what you started with?

I measure stuff all the time using a Romer arm and contact probe at work... there's no reason to edit whatever you measure because in essence, even with a scanner, you're just measuring points on a surface. If you edit what you measure, how do you know what you started with?

If I try and print the scan and it doesn't fit the car, then I'll need to edit the model. It sounds like you guys scan something and then build a model to match it. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Some of the things in this thread make me want a 3D printer for myself. Then again, other things in this thread REALLY make me want a 3D printer for myself. I'd like to make a few custom pieces for either of my two cars.

Either way, I love this thread!! Love seeing everyone's creativity!

Well I could just reprint the scan but this way I can build off the model. I just overlay the scan onto my model to check shape. That's what I did for the vent profile. Took me awhile to do with multi section solid sweeps and whatnot.

If I try and print the scan and it doesn't fit the car, then I'll need to edit the model. It sounds like you guys scan something and then build a model to match it. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Yep see above. Can do either one.

Well on a sad note, my car is totaled and not getting repaired. However, once I get the car back from the body shop I will be parting it out. I will finish this dual vent first and send the file off to discojon. Kind of an upsetting birthday present in all honesty.

Well on a sad note, my car is totaled and not getting repaired. However, once I get the car back from the body shop I will be parting it out.

I'm sorry to hear that man, hopefully you did get hurt in the process.

Well I could just reprint the scan but this way I can build off the model. I just overlay the scan onto my model to check shape. That's what I did for the vent profile. Took me awhile to do with multi section solid sweeps and whatnot.

Yep see above. Can do either one.

Well on a sad note, my car is totaled and not getting repaired. However, once I get the car back from the body shop I will be parting it out. I will finish this dual vent first and send the file off to discojon. Kind of an upsetting birthday present in all honesty.

:((

Really sorry to hear that man. What's that mean for the pod?

I'm sorry to hear that man, hopefully you did get hurt in the process.

No I found it like that in the morning :(

:((

Really sorry to hear that man. What's that mean for the pod?

I'll finish the pod. I'm going to see what I have to do to make my current print fit. I already modified the model so the new pod should be good to go and have no issues clearing. I just want to make sure the vent portion sits and holds in fine

• 3 weeks later...