LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a few successful cuts last night using the machine. I can cut about 3/8" into a 2" x 4" at full power and 50 mm/s speed. Can cut clean through 5mm plywood also in 2 passes. I'm hoping to finalize the install of the machine over the next couple days and have it in production.

I want to hear some ideas you all have for products to benefit the community.

Possible to route a dual cubby pod in some manner that is stronger/cheaper than existing options? I have one on my desk now that's 2 sheets of plastic "glued" together that has cracked several times in its life on my desk. Perhaps something with mounting holes as mine (not sure about others) doesn't have any.

3d printing might be better for an ash tray location gauge pod... do 52mm even fit down there?

Possible to route a dual cubby pod in some manner that is stronger/cheaper than existing options? I have one on my desk now that's 2 sheets of plastic "glued" together that has cracked several times in its life on my desk. Perhaps something with mounting holes as mine (not sure about others) doesn't have any.

3d printing might be better for an ash tray location gauge pod... do 52mm even fit down there?

I put together a 2 guage cubby pod for 3d printing, but could be "disassembled" to make it routable. I found after several revisions that tying into the clock back screw location made for a more robust design.

EDIT: I've never paid attention to time/material my designs take though as that's never been a restriction where I get my stuff made. I did try to make the faceplate and back separate once, but the glues I tried never held up in the hotbox that is the dash.

pod.thumb.png.e896ab63deaeefa57137ede8440d4d13.png

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Damn... what would that run for 3d printing? That looks really robust.

I was envisioning something along the lines of the gauge face plate, the bottom plate in the background, and then some other plate extending along the former floor of the cubby... kind of like an upside down T with the cross bar shifted towards the front of the car with a thick radius on the back side or something to gusset it. Looks like you thought of that already...

I put together a 2 guage cubby pod for 3d printing, but could be "disassembled" to make it routable. I found after several revisions that tying into the clock back screw location made for a more robust design.

EDIT: I've never paid attention to time/material my designs take though as that's never been a restriction where I get my stuff made. I did try to make the faceplate and back separate once, but the glues I tried never held up in the hotbox that is the dash.

Looks great. I see a few issues for 3d printing that could be overcome pretty easily but I'd feel comfortable doing that piece for $25 or so. Or it could be laser cut in a couple pieces and welded together with solvent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Boom, 60w laser engraver / cutter arrived today.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/11/1b75e52fd988d77f7faa679916e41754.jpg

Nice! My friend and I took a cd-rom motor and attached a mirror to it, then shined a 1 watt blue laser at it to make a nice vortex. If your laser is anything other than infrared you should see how a 60 watt vortext looks :lol:

Nice! My friend and I took a cd-rom motor and attached a mirror to it, then shined a 1 watt blue laser at it to make a nice vortex. If your laser is anything other than infrared you should see how a 60 watt vortext looks [emoji38]

I feel like that's a great way to either blind myself or tear something up and CO2 lasers are invisible to the naked eye. Making progress with all this stuff. Have been cranking out jeep taillight covers on the printer and scads of keychains on the laser. Router has been neglected a but of late.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/5bb8db74b81bc144bf57edbc53750355.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/de061e2f9bd5295984ef13077914ffb7.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/57551e47a255b53aa304ddb49c8e49e3.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/08fab1cc8ebfa9352b4b41d5921a431b.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/8413da79dd48c6f5a090c8302c79cd20.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/16/a0e57bbe8e162b97411ba15ee5e10211.jpg

Alright back from that week long work trip :lol:

Needs fins, I think. Raise the gauges up a little bit so you have a way to make a "tunnel" for the wires through the trunk holding them up?

Ok. I figured there would be fins but didn't get that far yet. How much higher would you be thinking of having the gauges? I was planning on putting a "tunnel" for the wires to go through anyways so that you didn't see them chilling in the vent.

3M tape would be fine. I don't think people would need tabs or something like that to clip it in.

Ok I should be able to do that.

How did I miss this thread??

It was created in 2014!!!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/would-interested-usdm-08-09-rear-bumper-ventsi-164272.html

Anyone willing to help me???

I have an STL file of the JDM vent which needs to be converted from a part file to something usable and then modified to mesh the shape of the USDM opening/reflector backing into the front of the JDM Vent

And then I need a 3D scan or a CAD file made for the OEM reflector

What kind of part file do you need it converted to? I can scan your OEM reflector too if you send it to me.

A 52mm gauge should fit down there. I'll try tonight. I've been toying with the idea of how to do a dual or triple pod in the ashtray actually :lol: But I wanted to get the vent one done first. I'd use the ash tray one for gauges that aren't as essential but still good to have.

What kind of part file do you need it converted to? I can scan your OEM reflector too if you send it to me.

Apparently the STL file is locked. The place I got it 3D scanned locked it for editing. I might as well send you the reflector and the vent to get scanned. I will PM you. Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...
A 52mm gauge should fit down there. I'll try tonight. I've been toying with the idea of how to do a dual or triple pod in the ashtray actually :lol: But I wanted to get the vent one done first. I'd use the ash tray one for gauges that aren't as essential but still good to have.

Any updates on the pod? :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, i never thought of this thread to talk about it, but i'm currently adapting an arduino micro and 4x 4 digit 7 segment displays to put 4 guage readouts in my cubby box (afr and vacuum/boost for now, but planning to add oil pressure and something else later -opinions?).

The code is almost written/complete, so maybe i'll model/make the 3d printed cubby pod and smoked plexi cover to hold them next week.

I am replacing my dual 52mm gauge setup because:

- i most often read the digital readout rather than the led sweep

- it'll be cheaper than buying more gauges and sensors(the 7segments are $10 each, and the arduino to run up to 8 displays is like $15)

- and i could/can fit way more information within the cubby location (4 for now, but coukd probably fit 8 if i desired - might looked cramped though. Not that i can think of 8 things i'd want to see all the time while driving. I think 4 will be enough.).

Sent from my XT1028

Nice clock Ahmed.

:hide:

But seriously that's pretty sweet. :D

Yeah, been programming it at work in spare time and i keep getting those comments. Need to find a project (pencil) box, to carry it around inside instead of leaving it so bare. And maybe some extra wires...

Sent from my XT1028