LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

OK guys. You are doing fabulous work and it's incredibly interesting to watch and learn. You're working on a gauge pod similar to what Block8head has already (I have one and it fits fine and works fine) so I have an idea. I have no experience with 3D printers but in watching this thread, it's obvious all of you are pretty damn good at what you do with these.

So, instead of trying to reinvent the same wheel that Block8head has done, why not work on a gauge pod that incorporates the inner dash vent (LH side of cubby) to house 1 or 2 gauges so the cubby pod can be removed and then be able to use the cubby pod again? If you were to build a pod that could hold 2 gauges in the same position on the opposite side of the wheel as the Block8head pod, you would definitely have a solid winner there.

Just an idea because then you could have 4 gauges all in exactly the same sight plane-2 on the left and 2 on the right.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A steering column pod would be nice IMO.

The Perrin dual pod mount isn't bad, but it isn't stellar either.

... you mean like this?

http://i.imgur.com/eeU4VHl.jpg

It could be refined further for better fitment/attachment, but the initial work has been done.

I'd have to say that the two great things about 3d printing here is

- the sharing of files/ideas so those with printers can make things themselves, and we also have people willing to print for those who don't have access

- and the customization of original ideas or existing ideas to the users desire.

And who needs a cubby? I'm putting my 4 guages right there, after i get the custom hardware and software ironed out.

Sent from my XT1028

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

As a new Legacy owner I have to say that this thread is amazing. You all have inspired me to make an accessport mount / replacement vent. Thanks to my job I have access to SolidWorks and 3d printers. :) If I could just find that damn 3d scanner we used to have......

OK guys. You are doing fabulous work and it's incredibly interesting to watch and learn. You're working on a gauge pod similar to what Block8head has already (I have one and it fits fine and works fine) so I have an idea. I have no experience with 3D printers but in watching this thread, it's obvious all of you are pretty damn good at what you do with these.

So, instead of trying to reinvent the same wheel that Block8head has done, why not work on a gauge pod that incorporates the inner dash vent (LH side of cubby) to house 1 or 2 gauges so the cubby pod can be removed and then be able to use the cubby pod again? If you were to build a pod that could hold 2 gauges in the same position on the opposite side of the wheel as the Block8head pod, you would definitely have a solid winner there.

Just an idea because then you could have 4 gauges all in exactly the same sight plane-2 on the left and 2 on the right.

The only problem with that is that you would have to print the entire cubby/vent piece which is huge and would cost an obnoxious amount in material alone to print. To put gauges right there you would be better off just fiberglassing the pods onto the original vent surround thing.

I just wanted to do something different with that vent so people had options :)

As a new Legacy owner I have to say that this thread is amazing. You all have inspired me to make an accessport mount / replacement vent. Thanks to my job I have access to SolidWorks and 3d printers. :) If I could just find that damn 3d scanner we used to have......

What do you need scanned and what file type do you need sent back? I can probably do it for you if you want.

how the hell do you lose a 3d scanner?

I think it was taken by one of my coworkers to the main office. It was just a little nextengine scanner.

What do you need scanned and what file type do you need sent back? I can probably do it for you if you want.

Thanks for offering, I've got the air vent mostly modeled in SolidWorks at the moment. Now I just need to get my accessport back from Cobb.

I think it was taken by one of my coworkers to the main office. It was just a little nextengine scanner.

Thanks for offering, I've got the air vent mostly modeled in SolidWorks at the moment. Now I just need to get my accessport back from Cobb.

Which vent? If it's the defroster vent I have that completely modeled already. Which Accessport? V2? I'll grab my old one and scan it tomorrow.

Which vent? If it's the defroster vent I have that completely modeled already. Which Accessport? V2? I'll grab my old one and scan it tomorrow.

Sweet thanks, yes the defroster vent you created with your dual gauge pod. I bought a V3 but it was broken and had to send it back to Cobb for repair. I noticed you said you use Catia, I have access to a Catia translator so I should be able to convert the models into SolidWorks.

The only problem with that is that you would have to print the entire cubby/vent piece which is huge and would cost an obnoxious amount in material alone to print. To put gauges right there you would be better off just fiberglassing the pods onto the original vent surround thing.

I just wanted to do something different with that vent so people had options :)

I think you could make a piece that would snap into where the louver is snapped into now (remove the OE louver completely from DS) and either mold solid fins in like the vent pod side is now, or possibly utilize a smaller louver set to snap inside of the mount itself.

It would work well allowing room for wiring before snapping it into place and then if fins are solid molded, finished. If using a smaller set of louvers, snap inside of the pod after its snapped into DS cubby vent.

I have just recently updated my TAZ 5 to Marlin 1.1 RC 2 and installed an Inductive sensor for leveling. Marlin 1.1 has provision for Auto Leveling and Mesh Leveling also :dm: Quality of my print won't improve much (already pretty good) but setup time and frustration will decrease!

Sweet thanks, yes the defroster vent you created with your dual gauge pod. I bought a V3 but it was broken and had to send it back to Cobb for repair. I noticed you said you use Catia, I have access to a Catia translator so I should be able to convert the models into SolidWorks.

Yea I have the 3D scan of that and the base model that I built of the vent. Are you wanting to have a mount come up off of that to hold the V3? I don't have a V3 to scan so I can't really help you there :lol: Yes I use Catia here but I can save them as multiple other file types. Sometimes they just get converted into "dumb" solids though when they get converted. It seems like that's what happens when I convert from another file into Catia.

I think you could make a piece that would snap into where the louver is snapped into now (remove the OE louver completely from DS) and either mold solid fins in like the vent pod side is now, or possibly utilize a smaller louver set to snap inside of the mount itself.

It would work well allowing room for wiring before snapping it into place and then if fins are solid molded, finished. If using a smaller set of louvers, snap inside of the pod after its snapped into DS cubby vent.

I didn't realize the actual vent came out? I will have to look at mine tonight when I take it out. I have a guy wanting my surround for my nav so I probably wont have the vent to work with anymore. Do you know if the vent is different for the ones with the cubbies?

You've got access to a scanner... ?

What's your going rate?

Mailing address?

Yea I have a scanner. Depending how big and complex the part is I can just do it for you if you want. Just cover shipping. You can throw me a few bucks if you really want but it's not necessary.

Is there any update on that pod? :wub:

Yes and no. I have the model updated and moved the pods over about 1/8" to stop them from interfering with the a-pillar. However, I no longer have A-pillars so I can't exactly confirm it. I might see if I can print another one but since it takes so long to print I want to wait until the weekend and until there is nothing else in que on the printers.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/comparison_zps7er65efq.jpg

Yes and no. I have the model updated and moved the pods over about 1/8" to stop them from interfering with the a-pillar. However, I no longer have A-pillars so I can't exactly confirm it. I might see if I can print another one but since it takes so long to print I want to wait until the weekend and until there is nothing else in que on the printers.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/comparison_zps7er65efq.jpg

Good deal, glad to see you're still going through with it. I'm quite anxious to get one.

Yea I have a scanner. Depending how big and complex the part is I can just do it for you if you want. Just cover shipping. You can throw me a few bucks if you really want but it's not necessary.

I'd actually really like the OBXT 08/09 grille scanned... just the face really. i'd totally be willing to send monies and pay shipping both ways. i'd like to design to it, but it's quite a complicated piece to rough out in CAD and then design to...

then again, the part i'd like to design is probably gonna cost quite a bit of time and material to print, but it will still probably be worth it.

I'd actually really like the OBXT 08/09 grille scanned... just the face really. i'd totally be willing to send monies and pay shipping both ways. i'd like to design to it, but it's quite a complicated piece to rough out in CAD and then design to...

then again, the part i'd like to design is probably gonna cost quite a bit of time and material to print, but it will still probably be worth it.

Without a bigass printer, that's going to be printed in 4-5 pieces and glued together.

Good deal, glad to see you're still going through with it. I'm quite anxious to get one.

I know there's quite a few that want one from what I can tell :lol:

It will cost quite a bit in material to print mainly due to the size and amount of support material that needs to be used. I'll pm you my address and you can send it my way and I'll see if I can scan it.

id be willing to test out the gauge pod, have a printer of my own at home i can leave over the weekend and one at work too.

Anyone using ptc creo?

What kind of support material does your printer use? The problem with this is all of the small cavities and whatnot that I incorporated into the design will more than likely be filled with support material. If you don't have the support material that can be dissolved in a solution then I feel like it would be a huge PITA to get it all cleaned out. Especially the tube to route the wires.

It will cost quite a bit in material to print mainly due to the size and amount of support material that needs to be used. I'll pm you my address and you can send it my way and I'll see if I can scan it.

Yeah, i'm not actually wanting to re-create the entire grill, but instead re-use at least the chrome wing mounting points (1 screw and 3 snap in locations each), if not the chrome surround location as well (i'd like to leave that alone, but we'll see...). From that foundation, going to make a "simple" honeycomb (or whatever really) grill cover to allow us niche market guys to mod our grills "easily" and without cutting it up and adding what i find quite garish and fugly: expanded metal mesh. yuck.

not gonna be a $30 dollar print, and might need to be made in pieces, but i expect it'll be a good option for those of us looking to upgrade the appearance a little and stuck with the short-run 08-09 outback grille.

there's a few others "interested" in this as well, but of course everyone is interested till money's involved. ;)