LegacyGT.com

RooTBeeR's Cheapo Slow Poke "Build" Thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing the BNR is journal. Bryan requires the line for the warranty.

I cannot say for sure, but, if I had to hazard a guess, the line is required for warranty because the majority of BNR purchases are the result of a failed OEM turbo, which, as we all know, causes oil contamination, and, if not properly remedied after initial failure, (ie oil flush, etc) we see time and again, replacement turbo failure within 3k miles or so; the aftermarket feed lines have the external filters, which will at least somewhat prevent debris from entering the new, replacement turbo, causing failure. Otherwise, he'd spend all day warrantying failures that could have been easily prevented, such as with the aftermarket filtered line.

I'm having a hard time understanding why. Explain it like I'm 5.

Ehhh, hard to explain it in layman's terms, other than talking about the size of holes.

BB turbos require less oil than journal, as, too much oil will cause the bearings to float, as JmP said above. The size of the holes in the banjos, as well as the lines feeding them, tend to dictate the pressure and flow to those bearings.

Too much oil pressure and too much volume can cause the journal bearing to seize for a split second and then begin to turn again. When this happens, it allows a flat spot to form and that wears both on the inside against the shaft and the outside against the bearing support housing. As it continues, the bearing wears more and more and eventually causes too much sideplay inside and outside of the journal bearing. The journal bearing is made out of bronze and the shaft is steel and the housing is cast iron, so the journal bearing loses and so does the owner of the turbo.

Whenever you force an amount of liquid through a hole smaller than the source, it always speeds up and increases pressure relative to increase in speed. In the case of the oiling system inside of a turbo and the way it is routed, it will increase pressure downward on the journal bearings because the oiling weep hole is directly on the top of the bearing. It forces itself into the bearing pocket and as it pushes harder, it can actually stop the rotation of the journal bearing inside the housing for a split second as the oiling holes move past and that split second allows a slight flat spot to form and then it turns again. It continues to do this and not too far down the road, it then has worn a lot of flat spots but in several places it's hit on the same place again and again, and then the turbo is all done.

If I use the stock banjo then the size of the orifice didn't change. The system pressure didn't change. What am I missing?

Didn't miss anything except that extra size in the oil feed tube is unnecessary and if you use the IPT kit which is larger with the banjo bolt supplied, you can float the bearings. If it's unnecessary for the size of the journal bearings, why spend the money is basically the gist of this.

The IPT kit is designed for the Td05/06 based turbos and larger like Holesets and Garret. Some of those have enormous journal bearings and housings and can easily utilize the larger feed lines and banjo bolts. Mike's kit is an excellent idea for these turbos but just too large for the smaller VF40/46/Td04 turbos in that it's just not necessary so why spend the money? He will even recommend that you don't use it on these turbos.

This tells you about the different sizes of journal bearings and shaft sizes of the common turbos that we use.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/most-reliable-turbo-236420p2.html

The photo shows you turbine/shaft assemblies for a VF40, a VF39/52, a Td05, a Holeset and a larger Holeset. You can tell that the two on the right side can DEFINITELY use the larger oil feed but there is such a difference in the rest, that the IPT feed kit really becomes useful on the 9mm shaft (VF39/43/48/52, Td05/06) and larger units.

:)

Turbines.jpg.e2b05fda58d84bd854846ec723ca34f3.jpg

hmm, I thought that the purpose was to filter the oil going into the turbo as it's at the tail end of the oil circuit before return to the pan and thus catches all of the crud washed through the system...and that it may just save the turbo in the event of other oiling issues in the engine, a la spun bearing.

So, I'm back to a very specific question, forget about cost, forget about need. If I use the IP&T filter and hose with the stock turbo oil feed banjo bolt will there be an issue with over pressuring the journals of a VF40 or not?

I really appreciate all of the detailed information, however, I'm asking a simple yes or no question.

No.

boxman, you can stop reading now, the rest is for everyone else. :)

The stock orifice in the banjo bolt at the turbo will only allow that amount of flow. You may have a slight pressure increase but it wouldn't be enough to worry about.

I have removed both banjo filters and run the stock oil feed line.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Cornfused and will read through this again since Mike told me to use the supplied larger orifice bolt with my V1 on the g16. My G16 is not a BNR compressor housing but the modified VF40 version.

BNR 16G, 18G, 20G is a hybrid that mounts a VF40 compressor housing onto a Td05 center housing. He also modifies the stock VF40 exhaust housing to fit the larger Td05 turbine.

He has stopped modifying the IHI compressor housings (hence the reason why he no longer asks for the VF40 cores) since he has had his own castings made with the BNR logo, but essentially, it's still the same design. He has a ring that snaps onto the Td05 machined housing with the standard sized snap ring and then that assembly fits into the standard compressor housing after the center inlet diameter and shape has been machined out to fit the larger wheel by size.

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. When I purchased he offered one without his casting mainly because of visual BS in California. I wanted to look stock as possible. BNR label exactly the same as IHI. :)

One of these days I still want to send you my old VF40. First I need to get my act together and get this motor done.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't Updated in a bit.

4/29/2015

Got my JMP rebuilt turbo back w/ a new Inconel Turbine wheel and shaft, and Billet Compressor wheel.

Also got TMIC Studs and Head/Chassis Ground Straps

Thanks again to Mr. JMP, awesome service and product!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/29/11f681ee2df98a91ca07f0818fced943.jpg

Also got more parts.

Subaru Blue Oil Filters

Power Steering, Alternator, and A/C belts

Oil Cooler Coolant Hose Elbow

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/29/cfeba48e2ef5625b54c76a5c3fe4d359.jpg

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

05/03/2015

Went to radio shack.

Got my "catted to catless uppipe temp sender CEL delete" resistor.

Lucky for me they're going out of business do everything is 40% off.

$0.65 for 5! Haha

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/b71fc7bc459e18ae983fa093381401d3.jpg

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

05/03/2015

Went to radio shack.

Got my "catted to catless uppipe temp sender CEL delete" resistor.

Lucky for me they're going out of business do everything is 40% off.

$0.65 for 5! Haha

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/03/b71fc7bc459e18ae983fa093381401d3.jpg

cheapest "car parts" ever! Any chance of a group buy?

The resistor mod isn't necessary if you're getting it tuned (which I assume you are). They can disable the CEL within the tune.

Or just get a tactrix cable, laptop, and romraider ecu editor and do it yourself. Piece of cake. Takes 2 minutes.

Or just get a tactrix cable, laptop, and romraider ecu editor and do it yourself. Piece of cake. Takes 2 minutes.

Right, which most of us with open source tunes already have. I just had mine disabled with the tune since I was already in the data logging stage.

The resistor mod isn't necessary if you're getting it tuned (which I assume you are). They can disable the CEL within the tune.

I do eventually, but I cant put my catless uppipe in and pass smog or drive it on the stock tune with out the resistor...and it was only $0.65. :lol:

I will be tuned later, with an ECUTEK though

cheapest "car parts" ever! Any chance of a group buy?

lol actually they only had one more (5) pack left. place was pretty empty.

Honestly, if someone did want them, I send it to them, no problem. I only need one.

I did just see an update on this thread...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/vag-com-cables-chipsets-ft232rl-ch340-214994p4.html

I may just get that cable for now, and then get my ecutek tune later

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Archived