LegacyGT.com

RooTBeeR's Cheapo Slow Poke "Build" Thread

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that pan is freaking awesome.

yeah, it is a lot of shiny aluminum haha thats for sure

hoping my Venair Ancillary Hose Kits show up soon, eta of black kits was 4 weeks, and i ordered a month ago tomorrow.

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh, and as far as the intake goes, I decided against that. I was sort of joking at first, but then on youtube I was listening to it, and they all sound good, but I think being my daily driver, it would annoy me hearing the bypass valve just about every time I let off of the throttle.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

04/17/2015

Got my copper crush washers yesterday.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/18/009781db009c30737f578130f91ac982.jpg

04/18/2015

Bye bye sick turbo. Please come back when you're healthy and fixed up.

Sent it off to JMP to work his magic on it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/17/0c1a79f2fffc3255ea9da125c4287520.jpg

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Started looking at some of my old parts to pile them up and get rid of them, and found out that I actually did have a broken ringland all along. I looked at it I don't know how many times, and couldn't see any cracks, and the broken piece never moved or came out. Until now.

10942415_10205778106545048_9012609860040971567_n.jpg?oh=4e473c50a591331c3039d9e2a202a185&oe=55A5BFAD&__gda__=1441090585_a08ab1851a3a5fc1c5b6406d2dd1fdcf

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Started looking at some of my old parts to pile them up and get rid of them, and found out that I actually did have a broken ringland all along. I looked at it I don't know how many times, and couldn't see any cracks, and the broken piece never moved or came out. Until now.

10942415_10205778106545048_9012609860040971567_n.jpg?oh=4e473c50a591331c3039d9e2a202a185&oe=55A5BFAD&__gda__=1441090585_a08ab1851a3a5fc1c5b6406d2dd1fdcf

That piston skirt^^^wow

Yeah, I guess the links in my first post don't work anymore, but both skirts on number 2 look like that, and the intake side of the number 3 skirt looks the same way.

Looks and feels much worse in person than in the pic lol

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

04/20/2015

Got my new

flex plate "motor plate"

Oil cooler crossover tube

Turbo oil drain tube

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/20/e2a5f51574da6acb52bd0bd8aad67c8f.jpg

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm curious why you got a new flex plate? That oil-crossover looks too short, or am I not remembering correctly?

http://i.imgur.com/dazhxuf.jpg

^^^here's mine.

On the turbo oil-drain tube, I ended up making a new one about 1.5" - 2" longer than the stock one (buy hose by the foot at O'reilley's, etc.). I did this because when I took the turbo off the car again after it was in the car, I had a heck of a time getting that hose onto the tube it affixes to and after 20 min of trying I cut a new longer hose. The shorter hose kept bending and wouldn't' go on completely and it's a really tight spot to get your hands into especially while doing it yourself. The longer hose makes it easier to get it started on the tube before the turbo settles on the UP and there's plenty of tube for it to go on.

I'm curious why you got a new flex plate? That oil-crossover looks too short, or am I not remembering correctly?

http://i.imgur.com/dazhxuf.jpg

^^^here's mine.

installed oil cooler, wrong part number

ordered correct coolant bypass pipe for wrong oil cooler to work

I did bend my flexplate while removing it, not too bad, but for $20 and knowing a new one won't cause me an issue that would make me have to remove the engine or trans later seems worth it.

Also, I was just informed that a mixture of certain parts of mine will not get along. So if anybody wants a V2 IP&T filtered turbo oil feed line kit, let me know. Its for sale.

"Build" Thread <--Link

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Even Sprank will tell you that his oil feed line is too much for the VF40/46 platform as it can actually overfeed the oil and float the bearings causing flat spots. The stock oil feed line, kept clean, and good OCI will work absolutely fine and give enough oil where it's necessary. Remember that the pressure/volume is pretty high right at that particular point, hence the reason for such a small hole in the banjo bolt on the top of the turbo. If you open that hole up plus increase the size of the feed line, it becomes too much.

Even Sprank will tell you that his oil feed line is too much for the VF40/46 platform as it can actually overfeed the oil and float the bearings causing flat spots. The stock oil feed line, kept clean, and good OCI will work absolutely fine and give enough oil where it's necessary. Remember that the pressure/volume is pretty high right at that particular point, hence the reason for such a small hole in the banjo bolt on the top of the turbo. If you open that hole up plus increase the size of the feed line, it becomes too much.

That is good to know. And makes complete sense to me.But is that line good with an 18g? I would think it would be for an upgraded turbo?

Aren't you supposed to retain the stock banjo bolt if you're using the IP&T filter with the stock vf40? Or are you saying that even with using the stock banjo bolt it's too much flow?

Aren't you supposed to retain the stock banjo bolt if you're using the IP&T filter with the stock vf40? Or are you saying that even with using the stock banjo bolt it's too much flow?

Even with the stock bolt, it's too much flow.

Archived