LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Speaking of my biking, any of you at Sea Otterhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/18/d84a9dd91c09193d5f6a97bba197e7cc.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/18/9695229628e19c3904c14b1042ebaece.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/18/a2ffd1704a0b960d9ff058066c4e8652.jpg

Anyone here ridden steel hardtails? Curious what the feedback is on them. I am looking at the On-One 456 frame, which looks pretty sweet.

What's a good beginner bike and where is a place I can ride so that I don't break any bones?

What's a good beginner bike and where is a place I can ride so that I don't break any bones?

As far as bikes go there is a broad range of "beginner bikes" and it greatly depends on what riding style you are going to do. If you are just looking for cross country riding the type of bike you will use will be greatly different than a downhill bike. Personally I really like all mountain style bikes as you can still pedal them up hill without much difficulty and they also are able to do downhill. I have a Santa Cruz nomad and that style bike is perfect for just about everything. My suggestion to find a good bike that fits you and is comfortable is to go demo bikes until you find the right match.

As far as where to go riding there are tons of trails around the Bay that offer a riding style for everything and unless you are somewhere with big built features there are ways around most jumps or features if you aren't feeling up to them.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

As far as bikes go there is a broad range of "beginner bikes" and it greatly depends on what riding style you are going to do. If you are just looking for cross country riding the type of bike you will use will be greatly different than a downhill bike. Personally I really like all mountain style bikes as you can still pedal them up hill without much difficulty and they also are able to do downhill. I have a Santa Cruz nomad and that style bike is perfect for just about everything. My suggestion to find a good bike that fits you and is comfortable is to go demo bikes until you find the right match.

As far as where to go riding there are tons of trails around the Bay that offer a riding style for everything and unless you are somewhere with big built features there are ways around most jumps or features if you aren't feeling up to them.

Cool thanks. I am not too familiar with mountain bikes so I thought I'd ask. I have worked with fixed bikes/track bikes when I was in college though. I had couple Fuji feathers, Bianchi Super Pista, and Surly Steamroller. Now I am deciding if I should get a road bike or a mountain bike...but from the videos you guys be posting...it looks dangerous lol :redface:

Road Biking - Cars are the main concern. My brother in law used to do that until he was put into a coma by a truck swerving into him.

Mountain Biking - yeah you break bones / bleed occasionally. But it's a lot of fun.

Edited by Rhitter

Road Biking - Cars are the main concern. My brother in law used to do that until he was put into a coma (short day long one) by a truck swerving into him.

Mountain Biking - yeah you break bones / bleed occasionally. But it's a lot of fun.

AND you don't have to breathe exhaust fumes while mtb, unless there are ATVs around..

agreed. if want to risk my life being on two wheels on public roads surrounded by cars, i'll be on my motorcycle.

riding my mtn bike for the first time this season on Thursday. anticipating limping into work on Friday lol

Rode some singletrack for the first time this year. So tired. Also, met a LGT wagon at the trailhead and talked for a minute. Good day.

1975290411_specbandlgtwagon.thumb.jpg.569f747a17beaf13a8fa3459439956ac.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Road Biking - Cars are the main concern. My brother in law used to do that until he was put into a coma by a truck swerving into him.

Another plus - mtn biking can provide you with better balance, and depending on the terrain, a great upper body workout as you push/pull over rock/root features!!

Rode some singletrack for the first time this year. So tired. Good day.

Me, too! No wreckage, and love that "good tired" feeling. As my long time biking pal says - "re-cycle":lol:

anyone here ride a KTM? looking at getting my son a new mountain bike. choices through the team shop are KTM, a Fuel or a Scalpel.

reviews on the KTM's seem pretty good..minus the fact that the company is having a hard time getting them into the US.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 3 weeks later...

^^^Just how reasonable? If 29" is what you're after, sure. I think you'll like it, though its pedaling platform may feel a bit active. No less efficient, but different. Either way it'll be faster for sure.

Make sure you inspect the seat tube/top tube juncture. They didn't hold up so well.

There is a 3rd option:)

Ride the old bike for another season or two and pick up something newer. The jump from '06-'11 was huge. From '11 to now? Arguably more so. Essentially, you can get (near) xc efficiency with all-mountain fun, and you needn't break the bank.

I could probably get the Anthem for <$1000. I am intrigued by the 29er platform, so I think it'd be a good change up. There was a recall in the earlier batches, but this one doesn't to have been affected by it.

I'm not in any particular rush, so I guess I could pick up the Anthem and toss a feeler on CL for the SJ.

^^^Yes, everything is better. Really.

This has no correlation to how much fun you have on your current bike, however. I have to remind myself of this on a weekly basis to keep me from doing something stupid.

I am intrigued by the 29er platform, so I think it'd be a good change up.

The only thing I might suggest is budgeting for a stiffer wheelset. Inherently flexy wheels were one of the things that kept folks off 29ers for so long.

^^^Yes, everything is better. Really.

This has no correlation to how much fun you have on your current bike, however. I have to remind myself of this on a weekly basis to keep me from doing something stupid.

Which year do you own? And what set up do you have (shocks, tires)?