LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Oh really? That's interesting to hear. The other thing that I'm weighing out is whether or not the '11 Anthem X3 29er is a step down, neutral, or up from the Stumpie. On paper, the Stumpie has superior parts - Mixed X0/XT drivetrain, XT hydro brakes, Fox Talas 130mm front susp and 100mm rear. The Anthem comes with SLX drivetrain, Elixir3 brakes, and Fox F+R suspension. I don't know enough about suspension bits to make a direct comparison between the SJ and Anthem, but the riding geometry is similar, and it seems like the only difference is really the 26 vs 29.

Which year do you own? And what set up do you have (shocks, tires)?

Until recently a buddy rode a '10 (or 11?) I rode an '04 for a season. Biggest difference was the trail worthiness of the new v. the old. They're still pigs, but you can actually get away with a fair bit of climbing here and there. He did "push" the rear, as well as pop in a volume reducer, which dramatically improved the way the bike used its travel, which has always been the gripe for those things. He had a new'ish Bos up front, which was ridiculous. Some of the lesser known suspension companies these days are putting out products that should really put the big boys to shame...but they're all really pricey.

Minons front and rear.

I think the new ones have gone a bit more slalom/slopestyle, no?

... whether or not the '11 Anthem X3 29er is a step down, neutral, or up from the Stumpie... seems like the only difference is really the 26 vs 29.

SLX these days is pretty nice, maybe less so in '11. You're right, though, the parts spec on the Stumpy is better. But 5 years of wear and tear, and a few generations of tech improvement might even that score.

Little differences in geo make for huge differences in ride, and as mentioned, the pedaling platforms will feel different, shock aside. If you're still xc inclined, and want to try 29ers, I say go for it.

Some of the lesser known suspension companies these days are putting out products that should really put the big boys to shame...but they're all really pricey.

...which is why I haven't sent my Fox 80RL to Push Industries for some goodies and a rebuild. :(:spin:

^^^Just how reasonable? If 29" is what you're after, sure. I think you'll like it, though its pedaling platform may feel a bit active. No less efficient, but different. Either way it'll be faster for sure.

Make sure you inspect the seat tube/top tube juncture. They didn't hold up so well.

There is a 3rd option:)

Ride the old bike for another season or two and pick up something newer. The jump from '06-'11 was huge. From '11 to now? Arguably more so. Essentially, you can get (near) xc efficiency with all-mountain fun, and you needn't break the bank.

I just went from 2010 enduro to 2015 trance sx (27.5). What a difference! I lost 20mm of travel in the rear but you would never know it. Maestro suspension is completely different than specialized fsr, very supple and better pedaling platform.

I also would wait one more year, if possible. Try to get something 2014 or newer. And if you're looking to go 29er, im not sure giant is the way to go. The majority of their recent focus has been on 27.5 and I've read their first try at 29ers did not have the best feeling, geometry wise. Also the direct to consumer market is growing and offering some incredible value...

Thanks for the input, folks. I think I'll hold off on the Anthem and keep the Stumpie around for another few seasons, then. I'm more of a weekend warrior type, so she hasn't seen that much abuse over the years and is in pretty great shape overall. I'll just wait until a better deal on a newer 29er, perhaps 2014+, rolls around.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the input, folks. I think I'll hold off on the Anthem and keep the Stumpie around for another few seasons, then. I'm more of a weekend warrior type, so she hasn't seen that much abuse over the years and is in pretty great shape overall. I'll just wait until a better deal on a newer 29er, perhaps 2014+, rolls around.

How have I not seen this thread before!

As a bike mechanic, I'm afforded the ability to touch lots of bikes and bike parts every weekend at work. I get to play with GT, Diamondback, Pinarello, Specialized, Pivot, and Giant. If you guys ever need info on new stuff, I may know a thing or two. :)

Turboboost, I've been racing a 15" alloy 2013 Stumpy for three seasons now, they're great bikes. Specialized never strays too far from the classic geometry of these things, and it just works. They're a little short on travel though. Having ridden an anthem, I find it meh. To this day, the best full-squish bike's I've ridden are the Epic 29 (if you like short travel), and the Mach 429 (if you want more travel).

The Mach 429 was magical, almost Ibis Ripley like in its magicalness.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Pinkbike made me want a yeti sb66 in the worst kind of way... But then I realized I live in Illinois and 100 of it's 160mm of travel would never be used.

I've definitely checked the "spend half my cars value" box a few times though... It's worth it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Being an engineer, I find myself trying to figure out how rear suspension links and whatnot work. Sure, it might have a Kashima coated Fox 40, but I want to know how that Santa Cruz V10 (or is it an Intense M9? lolololo) frame works or have something cool (albeit sucks to maintain) Knolly Delirium frame with a bunch of links.

Pinkbike made me want a yeti sb66 in the worst kind of way...

I've got one I'll sell ya. Real cheap;).

The Mach 429 was magical, almost Ibis Ripley like in its magicalness.

So does that also make the Ripley one of the best you've ridden? :p

I'm really excited for the 429 trail. Hope to demo one in the coming weeks.

Being an engineer, I find myself trying to figure out how rear suspension links and whatnot work. Sure, it might have a Kashima coated Fox 40, but I want to know how that Santa Cruz V10 (or is it an Intense M9? lolololo) frame works or have something cool (albeit sucks to maintain) Knolly Delirium frame with a bunch of links.

Agreed. Kinematics are pretty fun to figure out. Despite the different ride characteristics out there, it's incredible how many tweaks there are on a relatively small number of truly different designs.

Kashmina = marketing > engineering;).

Agreed. Kinematics are pretty fun to figure out. Despite the different ride characteristics out there, it's incredible how many tweaks there are on a relatively small number of truly different designs.

Kashmina = marketing > engineering;).

Agreed. I'd rather have an Emerald coated one to be honest, even if it is just for the color/marketing. Hell, give me pink anodized stanchions on a 40 and I wouldn't care.

Magura has the BEST customer service ever!

My MTS started leaking the other day... From the mater cylinder. So my entire XX shifter and my nice hubs got covered in mineral oil. Thank god it wasn't DOT. I tried to bleed them and rebuild them a few times, but to no avail. So I called them up and asked what can be done about it. Long story short, under their "5 year leakproof warranty" they're sending me a whole new set of MTS, new pads, storm SL rotors, and they're cutting the lines to length for me. Go Magura!!! I know most aren't a big fan of their brakes, but for a lightweight XC bike they simply feel amazing.

Just thought I would share :)

Magura has the BEST customer service ever!

My MTS started leaking the other day... From the mater cylinder. So my entire XX shifter and my nice hubs got covered in mineral oil. Thank god it wasn't DOT. I tried to bleed them and rebuild them a few times, but to no avail. So I called them up and asked what can be done about it. Long story short, under their "5 year leakproof warranty" they're sending me a whole new set of MTS, new pads, storm SL rotors, and they're cutting the lines to length for me. Go Magura!!! I know most aren't a big fan of their brakes, but for a lightweight XC bike they simply feel amazing.

Just thought I would share :)

Hayes took care of me when that happened as well, and they were out of warranty.

I have nothing to knock Magura about other than price. :lol:

Hayes took care of me when that happened as well, and they were out of warranty.

I have nothing to knock Magura about other than price. :lol:

Yep, can't disagree with you on that. I see no reason a set of MT8's should cost upwards of $90 more than the latest gen XTR system.

Props to Hayes, too, I haven't had to deal with their warranty dept yet but I've only heard good things. I love it when bike companies don't jock their customers around, and take care of them rather nicely. That's how you build a reputation.

Yep, can't disagree with you on that. I see no reason a set of MT8's should cost upwards of $90 more than the latest gen XTR system.

Props to Hayes, too, I haven't had to deal with their warranty dept yet but I've only heard good things. I love it when bike companies don't jock their customers around, and take care of them rather nicely. That's how you build a reputation.

Yeah... bought F+R Stroker Trails, adapters, and rotors to convert from a rim brake setup some February a couple years ago. Installed them, rode the shite out of them that summer, and then put my bike in my basement for the winter. Before I got a chance to ride again, apparently they started leaking and I noticed in like, May, when I went to ride down my driveway (hill) and the levers went right to the bars. Emailed them, noted I was 3-4 months out of warranty but said I didn't have a reason to check them before the first ride, etc. They replied with an RMA number and said they'd be happy to rebuild and bleed them no problem. Even sent me a free bleed kit because the one I got from PricePoint was an old rev and didn't work with my master cylinders/reservoirs.

Would definitely buy Hayes again just based on that service. If It weren't Hayes, it'd probably be Magura. Ain't nobody got time to deal with Avid turkey gobble.

• 1 month later...
Got my bike out of the garage to take back to school with me tomorrow. Brakes are going to need a bleed before I go for a ride. Time to learn how to bleed avid brakes again such a fun experience.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Got my bike out of the garage to take back to school with me tomorrow. Brakes are going to need a bleed before I go for a ride. Time to learn how to bleed avid brakes again such a fun experience.

Good luck... A majority of the avid brakes I bleed end up pushing chunks of seals into the syringe at some point... That is unless you regularly bleed them, they just don't like to have old fluid in them at all.

I love avid brakes because when they work right, they work REALLY good. But damnit, when they aren't behaving, they're nothing but trouble. Same case with Magura. If you think about it, the Avid Elixir/XO/XX series is kind of like the LGT of the bicycle brake world. Haha

You should just ditch the Avids and get some Hope Tech E4's :)

• 2 months later...

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Hey guys I've been on here for years and only now thought to look in here because I've dusted off my bike and decided to get my fat @ss back into shape.

I'm 48 and built my bike up starting with a frame purchase back in 2001, a K2 team. It's 24# fully suspended and although old it's basically new. All pivots are smooth and I kept it lubed, and no play.

I used to ride GG park in SF and across the bridge up to Mt Tam quite often in the 80's. This was when a mountain bike looked like a converted road bike. Oh the memories.

I rode it once a couple weeks ago doing the Fullerton loop in SoCal and had a blast and the bike performed great.

I may have a question or two for you guys as I try to get back into it but for now I'm trying to read online about this "geometry" craze. I'll have to go look up or measure my frame but I'll assume it's very "standard". I have cut my steerer tube maybe 3/4" taller and shimed the stem so it's a little taller but this was done back in the day. I'll get a couple pics soon. I'll need to keep it until I can get in shape and prove to myself that the expense of a new bike is worth it. So any advice as to what you might change/upgrade will be appreciated.

The first thing that comes to mind is my fork. It has a slow leak and I'd rather replace then rebuild as fork tech has come a long way and I think I'd benefit.

Anyway, looking forward to your input.

Drew

_IMG4177-1.thumb.jpg.6a859a7d8eb173ca4e9c8004a95e454d.jpg

Edited by Drew888
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Honestly, at this point I would advise just riding this bike as much as you can. Get in shape a little and figure out what you want out of a bike.

Test ride a bunch of new bikes and figure out what you want.

Your bike hasn't been ridden a lot, but bike tech has come a long ways since 2001. Frame geometry and wheel size. It makes a difference.

*says the guy who rides a 2006 Santa Cruz VP Free and spent $300 on a new drive train, $100 on brakes, and $300 on a fork for a 2007 Ironhorse warrior expert.

Edited by Rhitter

I went from riding a 1999 Kona Stinky Primo to a 2011 Santa Cruz Nomad and it was a huge difference in riding style but that's not to say I didn't like the Kona. Granted I'd replaced pretty much every component in 2010 on it but geometry wise it didn't change. I'd just get on the bike and get back in shape and determine the type of riding you want to do and then you can demo other bikes to decide what you want.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B