LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Thoughts on 29er v 27.5? I have only ridden a 27.5 briefly, loved the way it felt. But I am seeing a lot of companies advertise that their 29er rides like a 27.5 (is still playful).

my 26er, is starting to feel small when I try and keep up with the bigger wheeled bikes. Also debating getting an steel hardtail. Supposedly they have some flex?

Just curious what the experience with them is. My local riding isn't that difficult and I have a VF-Free for the actual hardstuff.

Thoughts on 29er v 27.5? I have only ridden a 27.5 briefly, loved the way it felt. But I am seeing a lot of companies advertise that their 29er rides like a 27.5 (is still playful).

my 26er, is starting to feel small when I try and keep up with the bigger wheeled bikes. Also debating getting an steel hardtail. Supposedly they have some flex?

Just curious what the experience with them is. My local riding isn't that difficult and I have a VF-Free for the actual hardstuff.

I've got a chromoly Kona and love it although I'm starting to realize the 26" size requires much more effort on the trails here. If they were more technical, I'd be more inclined to keep it but my friends on 29s all ride away like I'm sitting on a log.

My biggest issue with 29s are the stand over height.

They are going on my sight. The new Durolux r2c2 is adjustable from 160mm to 180.

Im in the 160 setting.

bb8e3992a865f02943b87bc3406b8ae1.jpg

Yep, that's a big bike! Pretty too. :) I've heard good stuff about the new Suntour forks, but serviceability kinda scares me sometimes. Half the time when I call Suntour for parts on their more expensive stuff, they don't exist. I believe they're focusing on changing that though.

As NSmtb once said: "Pick a wheel size, and be a dick about it!". It really depends on riding style, conditions, and even rider fit on the frame. And really, the paramount here is geometry. My 29er feels like a sclapel compared to my friends 26er. Why? I have a steeper and shorter head tube, longer top tube, shorter stays, and a lower BB. That being said, a 29er, unless you're very short, is a no brainer for pretty much any XC. 26" is a no brainer when large travel is needed, or when things are very technical and sharp. The 27.5" wheel really does split the difference, and leans toward either 26" or 29" characteristics depending on the frame geometry. For example, my Instigator feels like an all mountain 26er with 27.5" wheels on it. Why? Well.. long fork, slack angles, long wheelbase, and wide tires.

Steel is real. :) Lots of flexyness and usually a timeless frame. Downsides are the BB flex can be a little bit obscene if you get a cheap frame, and they're never really light.

I've got a chromoly Kona and love it although I'm starting to realize the 26" size requires much more effort on the trails here. If they were more technical, I'd be more inclined to keep it but my friends on 29s all ride away like I'm sitting on a log.

My biggest issue with 29s are the stand over height.

You're basically confirming what I said above about wheel size benefit being dependent on terrain. It really is true. Standover is always an issue with shorter people and 29ers. Full squish 29ers are even worse. What's your inseam? I have a 30" inseam and have room to spare on my Stumpy hardtail.

Also, some pics from my 9 mile slush/mud grind I did the other morning... It almost wasn't worth it. I rode my only steel framed bike, a 2014 Surly Instigator 2.0. I'm dying to swap out the fork on there, when I can get good traction those stanctions are far too flexible. I'll probably put a 150mm Pike RCT3 on there at some point.

33416380276_f3d74f460d_b.jpg

33073301660_9f1d424956_b.jpg

33456651505_dcbe979576_b.jpg

32613537054_90f68ae4de_b.jpg

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Yep, that's a big bike! Pretty too. :) I've heard good stuff about the new Suntour forks, but serviceability kinda scares me sometimes. Half the time when I call Suntour for parts on their more expensive stuff, they don't exist. I believe they're focusing on changing that though.

Thanks.

Current build is

2014 sight frame

Durolux r2c2 fork set to 160mm

Cane creek dbair cs

9point8 fall line 150mm with wolftooth ReMote

Zee brakes with 203/180 rotors

E.thirteen trsr carbon crankset

Absolute black 30t oval

Xt 11-46 cassette

Xtr m9000 shifter and derailleur

Nobl tr38 carbon hoops

I9 torch hubs

Maxxis dhf 2.5wt tubeless

Chromag trailmaster dt

Chromag ranger v2 40mm stem

Renthal fatbar carbon 780

As for their parts, I dont know how it is for a shop with warranty claims. Almost everything is available to purchase on their us site

Well now that I re-discovered my old pinkbike account I am getting nostalgic. Used to huck that DHR off every little cliff I could find. I still have a Demo 8 and Yeti SB75 collecting dust in the garage. I need to get out and ride a bike.

33223268670_d9200bfecb_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Went and did a 9 mile loop at Camp Tamarancho this morning. Muddy in some parts but the flow trail was dry. Found a few things on my bike that need attention and probably won't get till I move back home to WA in a week and a half. Forgot to take any pictures while riding but my friend got one on the way home with our bikes on my car.

220784ac2899b6b29d5dd1233c4be9e7.jpg

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

She is sagging a bit. And what was the gas mileage? :hide:

Yeah it always appears to sag because I set my height to have the ssideskirt even with the ground but it's definitely a bit more with gear in the back. Idk what gas mileage was but it couldn't have been awful because my info screen shows 19.2 and I know when I left it was at 17.2.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Went and did a 9 mile loop at Camp Tamarancho this morning. Muddy in some parts but the flow trail was dry. Found a few things on my bike that need attention and probably won't get till I move back home to WA in a week and a half. Forgot to take any pictures while riding but my friend got one on the way home with our bikes on my car.

220784ac2899b6b29d5dd1233c4be9e7.jpg

broken link?

went to mountain creek bike park NJ today, (first time i used my LGT wagon with 2 tray racks... no complaints so sick!)

hell of a dusty day but a good season opener for park riding/ downhill racing.

no pics... to busy riding! lol

• 2 weeks later...

ahh nice thread - been mia for about 5 years but just bought me another 05 lgt after i sold my 1st one to get into a 13' Evo X.

Havent been to mountain creek in abt 3 years, bike has been sitting dormant since i broke my ankle and foot there.

Have an 09 Santa Cruz Bullit with more $$ into it than my LGT. Just collecting dust now. Id like to get back out there, any plans for this season?

Hoping to show the creek some love this year!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VZpdtAR-ucKTztecwRVsZiqzlGDjg_8MHA/view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

ahh nice thread - been mia for about 5 years but just bought me another 05 lgt after i sold my 1st one to get into a 13' Evo X.

Havent been to mountain creek in abt 3 years, bike has been sitting dormant since i broke my ankle and foot there.

Have an 09 Santa Cruz Bullit with more $$ into it than my LGT. Just collecting dust now. Id like to get back out there, any plans for this season?

Hoping to show the creek some love this year!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VZpdtAR-ucKTztecwRVsZiqzlGDjg_8MHA/view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

nice! went to Creek opening weekend and it was great... might be going this weekend as well! :spin:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow.. must be wheel season huh? My rear wheel just got back from an extended stay at the Chris King ER. My hub (a 3 year old ISO) kept slipping for seemingly no reason. It was very unpredictable and no amount of rebuilding and servicing would fix the issue... I finally gave up when it slipped at a very bad time.... sprinting in gravel. Cracked a helmet, lots of road rash, tore my palm right open. Good on them though. They ultimately decided it was a manufacturing defect in the drive rings and replaced everything except for the hub shell, axle, and non-drive bearing. I have never seen a manufacturer go to such great(re: expensive) lengths in a warranty situation like that. I was already a lifetime customer of their, but that solidified it!

On another note: Specialized just came out with a new alloy XC bike. It's called the chisel. It's geared towards the NACA crowd... aka me. Frameset is very affordable, and the complete builds are as well. I may give it a shot. I really would rather leave my current bike in tact, and buy the Expert model(I love the frame color as well) but $1850 is still $1850. I'm hoping to get to demo one soon. I'd love to see if this bike can prove to me that thru-axles can actually make an XC bike stiffer as I still have yet to ride a frame that proves such. The slack head angle and steep seat tube make me sad face though, usually that makes the front end feel pretty "numb".

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.