LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

I'm with GEE-OTTO on this one. It really does become second nature.

Not busting your balls or anything, but I don't really know anyone who bases their clipped v flat decision on wrecking. It's more a matter of "need." Like, "do I need the efficiency gains that cleats provide?" Or, "do I need to relieve myself of this money burning a hole in my pocket?";).

If you're coming from a moto background I could see not really feeling the need to be mechanically connected to the bike.

Of those that I ride with that have recently switched back to flats, it's been a matter of comfort, preference, and the fact that shoes (vs cleats) are pretty awesome these days. We ride the nastiest stuff we can find, and while we get our asses handed to us from time to time, there's no reason to think our pedal choices have much to do with it.

Yeah I guess it's personal preference, I'm coming from BMX / Moto background so unless I'm doing road riding, I like to be free of the bike =)

Winning the internet

• 2 weeks later...

First one went back to KS as it wasn't dropping or returning correctly. So I sent it back and had my money refunded.

Second one which is the LEV DX model is dropping and returning correctly, and it rocks big time.

It totally adds a new dynamic to your riding options.

Winning the internet

It's not harmless to plastic!! Especially the more concentrated stuff. I think it comes up to 98% or 99% deet.

You'd be nuts to put on anything over 40% and true, it does act as a solvent on untreated vinyl.

Winning the internet

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I upgraded my bottom tier (SR XCT) fork with a mid tier from Outlander (SR XCM) and converted to Shimano XT hydro brakes and kept the 2x10 drivetrain. I grew up riding dirt so the trail mechanics are not new to me but the bike and how it handles is. Went to Crank Bros Mallet clipped plats very nice. First time out i never wrecked but I fell over 3 or 4 times mainly on the technical uphill climbs thru root and rock features. Biggest problem was being in too low a gear, fixed that and havent went down since. I can ride 25 miles no sweat, before (clipless) 14-16 and my legs were toast.

Now our 60 mile group rides on the weekends and 30 mile sprints are easier so overall I am happy with the setup.

But I realize I need full suspenion ASAP :lol: Ive been riding a friends 650b GT Sensor I love how nimble it is but it doesnt climb like a tank, like my 29 the question is which is more important to buy for the long haul??

I am leaning towards Full suspension 29er b/c the 650b and 26" frames are so small im 6'3" I feel compressed on the bike even with a suspension seat.

I just went through this commiseration with my new bike and decided on 26er. I'm only 5'11 and a large frame bike fits me nearly perfectly. (I did test ride a bunch of 29ers btw)

Your best bet is to find a demo days event from one of your local shops, or rent a bike and spend a day riding it. The 29er will probably be a better fit for you, but won't be quite as flickable on the tight trails (IMHO).

Winning the internet

That is exactly what I have noitice I rented a Trek Session (26") no problem in the tight turns, climbing required more effort i felt.

Since I visit the DH parks (Bryce and SnowShoe) twice a year i will rent there as I dont need to climb and I think for my personal bike ill go with a 9er full suspension. I have two models in mind that I have ridden on the same trails 1 that I have ridden while out west at COpper Mountain pure free flow single track:

1. Trek Remedy

2. Specialized Stump Jumper

3. GT Sensor Zaskar

650b I like to and I think I could learn to love one if the feel was so cramped

Rode three days over the holiday weekend. It was great. Two single track rides and one more XC ride through sandy oil well access roads / fire roads.

I was hauling down hill on the 2nd single track day, came around a bend into a huge patch of loose sand... front wheel went 90 degrees and I went over. Did a full front flip and landed on my ass in the sand with only some scrapes. Funny / lucky.

Just ordered up a Yeti Sb-66 to replace my aging Santa Cruz Butcher. Pretty stoked to try out the switch linkage. Hope it climbs better then the Santa Cruz.

Lots of good riding right now in Washington. I even plan on dusting off my Demo 8 for a Whistler trip and some lift access here locally at Stevens Pass.

Just ordered up a Yeti Sb-66 to replace my aging Santa Cruz Butcher. Pretty stoked to try out the switch linkage. Hope it climbs better then the Santa Cruz.

Lots of good riding right now in Washington. I even plan on dusting off my Demo 8 for a Whistler trip and some lift access here locally at Stevens Pass.

that's my favorite bike.

I hope it's a good one! It was between the Yeti SB-66, ibis mojo hd,turner 5 spot, and Norco Sight. On my parking lot test rides the Yeti felt the best. Still on the heavy side at 6.8lbs with shock but the extra heft should help on the downhill.

Bike is waiting for me back at my office. Need to get out of the field and see this bad boy. It was either a new bike or six speed in the wagon. I hope I made the right choice!

Also if any one wants a sweet deal on a 2011 large Santa Cruz Butcher with 2012 Fox talas 36 fork hit me up!

image.thumb.jpg.19b032d32da8c38e309d8772acbd1fc7.jpg

Edited by Gex

Frame was very reasonable at $1250 shipped. Fork,wheels,headset,and tires will be another $1500. I'm swapping my XT 2x10 and brakes from the Butcher onto the Yeti because they are only a season old also keeping my rock shox reverb dropper post and fizik saddle.

Looking to get $1300 for butcher frame/shock, fox 36 fork, and Chris king tapered headset. Fork and frame retailed for $2600 new.

I liked my Hope hubs but alas, I'm over the weight limit on the Stans Crest rims.

Anyone want to buy a rather light wheelset, tubeless? They have like 2 rides on them... I just don't feel comfortable pushing them hard. Hope 9mmQR hubs (with 20mm TA adapter front), standard 135mm QR rear, black spokes and nipples (don't remember brand) and Stan's Crest rims. I think they were $425 shipped from Wiggle but would do quite a bit less...