LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Damn... You bet you can! That shop looks super high end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its the local Devinci shop in Singapore. The owner himself displays his own bikes, as well as other customer's bike. Lots of cool stuff there. :)

• 1 month later...
That looks great. I haven't been out there. How does it compare to Crockett?

Completely different. Not a lot of flowy stuff like the Crockett hills has. Lots of super technical sections and areas that I'm not even sure how you ride a bike over some of the things. The nice thing is most of it is in the trees so theres some shade and its mostly single track. You do have to get away from the hiking trails on the front side to really enjoy it though. Much more technical stuff on the back side. I realized today that I definitely need new tires. I got to a couple climbs I know I am capable of doing but just had no traction. The rocks in Moab from 2 years ago finally caught up and I should replace my tires :lol:

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• 2 weeks later...
Completely different. Not a lot of flowy stuff like the Crockett hills has. Lots of super technical sections and areas that I'm not even sure how you ride a bike over some of the things. The nice thing is most of it is in the trees so theres some shade and its mostly single track. You do have to get away from the hiking trails on the front side to really enjoy it though. Much more technical stuff on the back side. I realized today that I definitely need new tires. I got to a couple climbs I know I am capable of doing but just had no traction. The rocks in Moab from 2 years ago finally caught up and I should replace my tires :lol:

Man, I want to move back west :mad:.

http://i.imgur.com/UYB0SWo.jpg

Bike service just helped me put this fork on my Bianchi SASS today.

Has K-coat Fox 32 yet still has BB7's. Tsk tsk tsk... May I recommend a brake upgrade?

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Has K-coat Fox 32 yet still has BB7's. Tsk tsk tsk... May I recommend a brake upgrade?

BB7 life! I have them on my slow (I'm slow) 26" hardtail. I put Shimano XTs on my downhill bike. They are the best.

Reminds me that for the first time in 6 years I did 0 biking this year. Need to get on a bike and change that at some point soon.

This is my Cannondale Prophet 3Z. Its all stock except for the Mavic Crossmax ST wheels and the shin cutter pedals. And yeah, my old butt needs a gel cover on the seat. It has served me well and hopefully will continue to do so for many more years. There is no major technical trails around me but there is a lot of fast single track that has some nice natural steps and some root bound and rocky downhills. This bike eats it all up with no problems.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/sts-v/43BD2BF8-F959-49AC-8CC6-7E0047120165_zpspbh7vid4.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/sts-v/59A53EC1-9F08-4D4C-A35B-A503EF6E5228_zpsqmsffjq9.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/sts-v/7FA66880-7AED-41F5-9E96-3E8CA3C22E7F_zpsit7gc9eg.jpg

Hayes Stroker Trails have treated me well if you're on a budget. They're awesome for warranty stuff too if you have issues... they helped me out even though I was out of warranty by a couple months.

Ah I just picked up a pair of these.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802

They seem to have good reviews. Couldn't pass up on the pricing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
New wheels seeing as my seasons going to be starting soon.

ef5d32400f4bc18fd9a3a8d219286209.jpg

Boost 110 20mn axle up front? These must be going on a big bike! I absolutely lust over the way i9 hubs sound, it's intoxicating. The maintenance is stupid simple and easy too. I still prefer King hubs though.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

It's not like I need new wheels - I love my Hope Pro2 hubs and Stan's Crest rims - but just the whole being able to say I can thing and the self satisfaction. That and it's a good excuse to have a couple adult beverages away from the girlfriend in the basement for a couple hours. :lol:

Where can we get the best deal on King hubs? Those things are pricey and I am waaaay over due for a new rear 26 inch wheel and hub.

Long story short... you won't. That is, unless you work in a shop and use their DEP program. King makes everything in Portland and they run an incredibly eco-friendly business with very high employee satisfaction. There's a reason they cost so much, and because of that they have very strict dealer pricing rules. If you want cheap CK hubs, look on Pinkbike for a used set. I'll admit, of the three sets I've owned, I ever paid retail. All my wheel builds were done while I worked at a bike shop. So I'm spoiled when it comes to cost.

All this wheel talk... for the longest time, I've told myself I was going to teach myself how to lace and true my own wheels and I just haven't gotten around to it.

Find a (straight) junk wheel and disassemble it. Then practice lacing the spokes and getting everything dished and tensioned properly. Do this a few times over and you'll have the hang of it. That's a good first step. Also keep in mind you NEED the right tools:

-A stable truing stand that allows you to true radially and laterally

-A wheel dish tool to center the rim properly

-A spoke tension gauge to verify things aren't too loose/tight

-A GOOD spoke wrench. One that's actually the right size.

This Park Tool page is fantastic to use, in conjunction with a tensiometer, to visually see how your build is going.

This Sheldon Brown page is basically the holy grail of wheel building information. This is where I taught myself.

Spocalc is a great, easy to use excel spreadsheet to help you calculate what length spokes you need. DT Swiss has one as well.

Lastly, a few words of advice: You need to pick basic parts for your first wheel build. They are easier to work with and will net you better results. What do I mean by basic parts? Mostly the spokes; no bladed, no quintuple butted superlight unobtanium things. You'll pull your hair out dealing with spoke wind up and tension/true issues. Super delicate rims will have the same effect. Since you haven't developed the fine touch and feel to pick out the small nuances while you're bringing everything up to tension, it can be very easy to screw the pooch without knowing it. My first personal wheel build was Stan's ZTR Flow rims, DT Swiss Competition J bend spokes, and Chris King ISO hubs. Took about four hours total, and I trued them one time in three years. After that three years, lateral runout was ~1.3mm. :)

10074801643_6b24aeb824_b.jpg

10074794133_f767a77d95_b.jpg

My second wheel build was for my road bike: Stan's alpha 340's laced to White Ind. T11's with Sapim CX-ray spokes. Very challenging but worth it. Spoke windup is annoying to deal with on thin bladed spokes.

My most recent build was WTB KOM i23 29er rims laced to another set of Chris King ISO hubs with DT Swiss Comp Race spokes and alternating red/black alloy nipples. It came out great, but definitely more work! (Edit: looking at this picture, my bike probably looks super bike-snobby, seeing all the parts on it. Oh well :lol: )

32960535140_c9151af1d0_b.jpg

Boost 110 20mn axle up front? These must be going on a big bike! I absolutely lust over the way i9 hubs sound, it's intoxicating. The maintenance is stupid simple and easy too. I still prefer King hubs though.

They are going on my sight. The new Durolux r2c2 is adjustable from 160mm to 180.

Im in the 160 setting.

bb8e3992a865f02943b87bc3406b8ae1.jpg