LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Bay Area guys, I just read this article by TGR about Skeggs. Have any of you ridden there at all? I leave the Bay Area in a week for the the summer but plan on riding those trails in the fall. OB2.5XT and SCSpecB you guys should go ride some of these trails so I know what I'm getting myself into in the fall. Maybe we could even do a group ride in the fall. http://www.tetongravity.com/story/bike/locals-guide-to-skeggs

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Bay Area guys, I just read this article by TGR about Skeggs. Have any of you ridden there at all? I leave the Bay Area in a week for the the summer but plan on riding those trails in the fall. OB2.5XT and SCSpecB you guys should go ride some of these trails so I know what I'm getting myself into in the fall. Maybe we could even do a group ride in the fall. http://www.tetongravity.com/story/bike/locals-guide-to-skeggs

I haven't been over there yet. It's kind of far for me (live in Berkeley). They have recently made some biking specific trails in the East Bay at Crockett hills. That's next on my destination.

I have wanted to go to Skeggs for awhile though, just haven't got down to it yet.

this area (Bay area) kind of sucks though. So much poison oak.

Ohh I'll have to look into the Crockett hills trails. I wouldn't even have to drive I could just bike across the Carquinez bridge and go ride.

The mountain bike trails are brand new. So any old reviews are worthless. Here are some minor pictures -

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/trail-work-crockett-hills-saturday-february-28th-949743.html

http://www.bermstyle.com/crockett-hills-regional-park/

Trying to find the map too it's hidden somewhere in one of the many MTBR posts by Berkeley Mike

I broke my bike trying to upgrade parts (RD hanger snapped), hoping I will have everything back together and can check it out Wednesday evening.

Edited by Rhitter

I might ride across the bridge wednesday afternoon after classes to go ride those trails. The trail head is a 20 min bike ride according to google. Might be worth a shot. The pictures on bermstyle make it look like a super fun trail!

Edit: might go ride this afternoon since I am out of class at 1:30.

Edited by magnusonsubie

2005 Vader Wagon

I might ride across the bridge wednesday afternoon after classes to go ride those trails. The trail head is a 20 min bike ride according to google. Might be worth a shot. The pictures on bermstyle make it look like a super fun trail!

Edit: might go ride this afternoon since I am out of class at 1:30.

A better idea of the ride -

Found the map post

http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/updated-crockett-hills-map-958554.html#post11845890

So I went and rode the Crockett Hills this afternoon. Trails are definitely still new trails that are somewhat under construction. I found some of the berms seamed to end too soon coming out of corners. Also if you ever end up on anything more than single track you are going the wrong way. At the bottom of the new trail with the jumps and berms I ended up walking up the service road which was super steep. There is a single track somewhere that goes up to the top though. I took gopro video from my chest mount that I will link as soon as it finishes uploading to youtube.

2005 Vader Wagon

Yeah it was a great trail! Only places I noticed the oak was at the trailhead. Once you get out just a little ways it is all wide open grass fields. Was thankful for the wind today. Without it I can't imagine how hot it would have been.

2005 Vader Wagon

Yeah it was a great trail! Only places I noticed the oak was at the trailhead. Once you get out just a little ways it is all wide open grass fields. Was thankful for the wind today. Without it I can't imagine how hot it would have been.

Did you go up through the lower parking lot? Or did you come in through Cummings Skyway?

That looked like an awesome crash!

Also looking at the trail map today I completely missed a whole section of trail. At the bottom of the first part I turned right and when looking at the trail map if you go left down the road there is another trail that appears to be downhill. I'll have to go back when I have time again and check it out

2005 Vader Wagon

Dude, you broke both wrists?? Wow. How did you get back to your car? That must have hurt.

I have broke mountain biking -

Thumb - (had it pinned in place, removed pin myself when it was healed)

ankle (small bone in leg, fibula, 2 screws)

wrists and 2 fingers (that video)

The breaks for my wrist went at an angle through the head of the bone. So it was a very small crack. Didn't even need casts just splints.

I thought only my left one was broken and just got on my bike and biked down the rest of the trail. It wasn't until a week later when I went to an orthopedic surgeon and she told me I had broke 3 more bones.

Compared to my ankle that one was easy. Ankle I had to crawl down a mountain / use my bike as a leg where I could for 2-3 hours. Luckily I had 2 friends with me to help get down.

This picture I found shows where the break was

http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/data/bin/w440/a509797810c644_ulnar-styl-fracture.jpg

Edited by Rhitter

wow.

The only thing that happened to me (so far) was one broken collar bone. Had to go down the rest of the mountain with one hand on the handle bar, and drive 11 hours back to our house with left hand only. My wife was changing gears for me :/...

Collar bones are the most common. Somehow I haven't done that...

All my crashes though are because I was doing stuff I shouldn't have done (too early in the season or in a bad mental place).

Hopefully now that I have recognized that pattern I can get past it.

This was my brothers crash last summer. For his birthday he got a neck brace and more body armor as my mom got a little worried about him after seeing this video. I would have ridden out of it except that his bike was in the middle of the trail and I ended up running over it.

2005 Vader Wagon