LegacyGT.com

Mountain Biking

Nice trails BraddA! I see a lot of opportunities for catching some air! And I that a woman in a black dress down the trail?

Fun trail for sure. One of the "new" rebuilt trails in the area that gained some air and flow without losing its edge.

This is more of a Carhartt & chewing tobacco area than a black dress one. I think that's a burned-out stump:).

Do you guys have any recommendations on a roof bike rack that holds the bike securely / still allows the rear hatch to be opened?

I had the Yakima High roller, but it didn't allow me to open the rear hatch and it broke on me.

I have a Rocky mount with an adapter for the 15mm thruaxle and it's terrible and I hate it and looking to get something else.

I use Yakima Raptors and don't have a problem opening my hatch with them mounted. I also positioned them so the forward crossbar is as far forward as it can go and then the tray for the bike is positioned according to how the bike fits in the tray.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I use Yakima Raptors and don't have a problem opening my hatch with them mounted. I also positioned them so the forward crossbar is as far forward as it can go and then the tray for the bike is positioned according to how the bike fits in the tray.

That one looks pretty good. The issue with the high roller is that I couldn't move the tray forward independent of the attachment points.

Any thoughts on the difference between?

http://www.rei.com/product/696758/yakima-raptor-bike-mount

and

http://www.rei.com/product/794782/yakima-raptor-aero-bike-mount

looks like the aero is needed for factor bars?

I've been using the Yakima king cobra (7 years old now :rolleyes: ) and also moved them forward as much as I could. Don't know if they changed the design though.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=204976&d=1426782630

FLS_4998.thumb.JPG.18f32d710b15a389fb36b6073dc7fe33.JPG

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Do you guys have any recommendations on a roof bike rack that holds the bike securely / still allows the rear hatch to be opened?

I had the Yakima High roller, but it didn't allow me to open the rear hatch and it broke on me.

I have a Rocky mount with an adapter for the 15mm thruaxle and it's terrible and I hate it and looking to get something else.

Are you opposed to going with a hitch style rack? I've made the switch and couldnt be happier

anyone still on 26ers here? I want to make the move...can't yet. have a Turner Burner and a Jamis Dakar XLT. my son rides the jamis
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Are you opposed to going with a hitch style rack? I've made the switch and couldnt be happier

I have a hitch style rack (North Shore Rack) for my big bike, I prefer a roof rack for something that just stays on all the time. what is it about the hitch style that made you happier?

anyone still on 26ers here? I want to make the move...can't yet. have a Turner Burner and a Jamis Dakar XLT. my son rides the jamis

I have two 26ers that I ride- Santa Cruz VP Free (downhill resort riding), Ironhorse hardtail (xc). I want to make the switch to 27.5 or 29 for an XC bike, just not sure which yet.

Edited by Rhitter

Although I have these King cobra racks, they no longer stay on my roof when not in use. You may waste at least 1 mpg with these things. When I have the 'big' bikes up there, I easily loose 3 mpg at the very least. So I'll probably make the transition soon to a hitch rack.

Still rocking a Kona Explosif... love that thing. If I go bigger, I'd probably get 27.5/650b. I've tried a couple 29s and they feel like lifted pickup trucks... I feel like I'm too high up.

Yup I won't make the switch. I've got a Santa Cruz nomad and I love it. I demo'd a 650b and a 29er for a day and neither of them I really liked. I might eventually be able to get used to a 650b for XC riding but I think it would take some getting used to.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

my turner is an 03. guess I feel the peer pressure to switch vs the need. it and I am still pretty fast on the bike. if anything I my upgrade my sons first.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^You're fine IMHO. Mine is an 04 and I still love it. Great design, and nice low center of gravity. Very stable. Only thing I hate about my enduro sx is whenever the rear suspension is close to bottoming out as you're pedalling, the rear derailleur may change gear for ya. Known problem for that 'old' design.. Other than that, I still love it.

i might do a gearing upgrade. x9 grip shift now.

so..the pivot bearings have never been replaced on the Turner:lol:

still to this day quite, no noise, nothing.

Yup I won't make the switch. I've got a Santa Cruz nomad and I love it. I demo'd a 650b and a 29er for a day and neither of them I really liked. I might eventually be able to get used to a 650b for XC riding but I think it would take some getting used to.

See I felt the exact opposite. I demo'ed a Rocky Mountain 650b at Mammoth and I was amazed at how easily it does everything. I wanted slightly more travel than that bike had, but it rolled over everything so easily and felt great.

Although, I think I want a 5inch 650b bike for around here and keep a big bike for resort riding.

I have a hitch style rack (North Shore Rack) for my big bike, I prefer a roof rack for something that just stays on all the time. what is it about the hitch style that made you happier?

Easier loading/unloading. The rack I use only touches the tires (1UP USA). if you have a muddy ride, the roof of your car stays clean. Better gas mileage on longer trips and reduce wind noise.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1863&pictureid=10304

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1863&pictureid=10303

Edited by 05RedGTWagon

my turner is an 03. guess I feel the peer pressure to switch vs the need. it and I am still pretty fast on the bike. if anything I my upgrade my sons first.

Same here, definitely don't NEED to :lol:

I've got an '07 Stumpy FSR Comp. The only bike I'd look at buying right now is a 5010 which is almost the same thing except for 5mm more travel and 650b (the Stumpy out-specs the 'R' by a good margin tho.) We demo'd one for my wife a while back and she loved it, I'd buy one for her before I pick one up for myself...

Same here, definitely don't NEED to :lol:

I've got an '07 Stumpy FSR Comp. The only bike I'd look at buying right now is a 5010 which is almost the same thing except for 5mm more travel and 650b (the Stumpy out-specs the 'R' by a good margin tho.) We demo'd one for my wife a while back and she loved it, I'd buy one for her before I pick one up for myself...

Where around here do you ride? Most of my riding the past couple of years was shuttling in Tahoe. I need to figure out some of the good closer places that are fun around here.

Where around here do you ride? Most of my riding the past couple of years was shuttling in Tahoe. I need to figure out some of the good closer places that are fun around here.

I hate to admit, but the last few years have been the same- mostly Tahoe, Northstar specifically...

I'm in the same boat with not really knowing where to ride locally. I grew up in Santa Cruz, so i was SPOILED when it came to riding. I had Nisene Marks Park a literal 5 minute ride away. I hate going back and forth over there to ride now because traffic always sucks ass when I have the time to ride.

I moved to Campbell in 2010 and have been looking for riding spots and buddies ever since with little success...Thats why I brought up a potential Bay Area group ride. I dont mind driving to ride, I just don't know WTF to go lol.

spent more time lately on the cx bike and racing.

10646764_10203306582690956_6703588894596057546_n.thumb.jpg.e88b1f16510f801d4d6fef257126378b.jpg

My next bike will definitely have larger wheels, but it's suspension design that's got me looking for something new. My sb66 has been great, but I've been itching for a more active platform for a while now.

Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to suss out any real penalties to 27.5s. They're theoretically less playful, but the 27.5 bikes I've demoed have been so damn good I haven't noticed or cared.

I hate to admit it, but there are a small handful of 29ers I've ridden that have been pretty fun as well. And fast. I plan to race more in coming seasons, so even marginal improvements in overall speed may take precedence over "fun."

Edit to add that with the possible exception of the new 36, my next bike will not feature the crap that is Fox suspension;)

Edited by BraddA