LegacyGT.com

The Goals Thread

and ftr......your weight goals. 1/2-2lbs a week is considered safe weight loss that you won't gain back if you're doing it right.

yeah I lost a lot of weight a few years ago by doing my program but then I slacked off and stopped doing it and so I've put on about 10lbs/year since then. I'm a Mesomorph body type so luckily for me I can get it off quicker than some other types can. Of course I can gain it too so I guess it goes both ways.. :lol:

this depends heavily on your body weight and level of overall fitness.

a high-end 90-day goal for someone in good health is about 10-12% weight loss, slightly less if you're also doing strength training. (we're not talking Biggest Loser here with personal trainers and dedicated physicians, but reasonable.)

also, run/walk/run is probably the least effective type of interval training, and puts you at the most risk for injury. don't think of your muscular and cardio systems independently, think of them as a machine. do you floor your car for a mile, then coast for a mile, then floor it again? (i hope not :lol:) and don't use time limits like 30/60 or 60/120; you'll either be pushing too hard or not hard enough. "train to standard, not to time."

you'll get much better results by warming up, then gradually increasing your speed until you're at about 80% of max and holding that speed as long as you feel you can, then slowing back down to a light jog for about 20 seconds and slowly increasing your speed again. rinse, repeat. if you completely stop to walk, your muscles can tighten up and cramp when you try to speed up again. you're basically confusing your body unecessarily. after a few weeks, you'll be amazed at how long your body can maintain that "right at the edge" speed.

additonal tips:

- get a proper amount of sleep (this gets ignored a lot), and don't sleep in until 11 on weekends.

- trace back from the time you normally go to bed, and don't take in ANY empty calories past 4 hours prior to that time, and as few carbs as possible (yes, this includes beer!) you're SUPPOSED to be hungry after you get up, not still full from your 9pm 1000 calorie dinner.

- if you're going to run a lot, get decent shoes. not nikes, and nothing from walmart. go to a real running shoe store and get properly fit. if the guy at the store doesn't watch you walk and run in the shoes or know the difference between cushion and stability and pronation types, you're at dick's sporting goods. leave and find a real store. this extends to socks as well... take care of your dogs and they'll take care of you. ;)

actually i've found in the 13 years i've been in the in the industry 1/2-2lbs is safe across the board. people are mislead by biggest loser (like you said) ads for weight loss aides, etc and stupid workout programs like p90x, insanity who are targeted towards the out of shape.....let me stop off my soap box.

doing it right the first time is key here. i've worked with enough people over the years whose mentality has been "i gotta get it off, I gotta get it off". when what they don't get is it didn't "get on" over night. i could go on and on here.

the weight loss ads are the worst when it comes to being misleading, especially the "before and after" photos. they conveniently fail to mention that these pics are usually athletes that have been injured or something and actually ARE taking the weight off at the same rate they put it on. losing 40lbs in 12 weeks is no problem if you were 40lbs lighter 6 months ago, not so much if you've been tubbytubby for 10 years. of course, the company doesn't want you to know this, they want you to think that the product is just that aw3s0mer!

- and my maths for posterity: 250lb person losing 12% in 90 days = 2.33lbs/week (so we're actually closer than i thought)

Pretty much agree with the majority of this entire conversation.

My goals:

-Complete this damn Nutrition Certification (have til August)

-TRX Rip Trainer Cert (May 19)

-Obtain actual livable income since having only 3 live body clients isn't going to cut it, especially working out of a gym who takes 80% of it. Have my online coaching biz going and that's doing decent, but still not quite livable. Overnight job is part time and as needed, so.... can't count on those hours either.

-Maybe a few running events this summer, but unsure since I don't know wtf runs or people here who even run.

-work on all around fitness and strength, concentrating on core and upper body since I totally effed my right leg. Goal: NOT EFFING IT UP MORE THAN IT ALREADY IS. Patience has never been my strength.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that. It's pretty frickin sweet.

Just registered for Warrior Dash WA for July 20. Maybe this time, I won't fall on an obstacle so I can actually get a decent time. LOL. Perhaps I'll even train for it, but really, it's not that difficult provided I don't fall off. at least it'll be pretty easy to get a PR.

For a reference point, I'm 6'2" and 185 lbs. Been doing the 5/3/1 system and running 4 miles twice a week.

My goals:

315 lbs on bench press (at about 270-275 lbs now)

185 lbs on military press (at about 150-155 lbs now)

Lose a little extra fat off my stomach. I'm not fat at all now really, just want a slightly flatter stomach for summer.

I'm doing the Tough Mudder in Chicago with a team of 6 other friends in a couple weeks, so finishing that in a decent time would be cool.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• 3 weeks later...
I made a bet with all the overweight guys at work that started April first. The goal was to lose 15% body weight. $50 each winner take all. All of us have a busy work schedule and not much time to work out, I usually fit in about 3 days a week 2 lifting 1 cardio, and track my calories religiously with the myfitnesspal app. In 44 days I lost 19.6lb or 7.8% body weight and am currently in the lead by about 1.2% I just really want a nice fat steak right now...

I've been getting by on dumb luck and natural endurance. However, last weekend's race completely kicked my butt. Next race is 5/25, looking for a bit more endurance and more flexibility. Been doing yoga & stretching morning, noon, & night. will start running tonight. Tomorrow will start on something like the tabata - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/amateur-motorsports-and-you-can-get-involved-you-legacy-199487.html

• 3 weeks later...

12 miles of this tomorrow:

http://www.dirty30.org/wp-content/gallery/course-tour/black-bear1_800x600.jpg

I'd like to break two hours. Not fast, I know, but the up-down is so punishing!

Take it easy, especially if you're getting the high heat/humidity that we here on the East/mid-Central area are getting.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^^^Yup, trail race. Little over 4k vert. Not too tough, but not by any means a quick course either. Between miles 2-3.5 we crossed a stream, like, 11 times. It was outside of Golden, CO. Fun stuff.

Hit a pr on decline leg press today. 3 sets of 5 at 280 plus the bar. I'm not sure what that weighs but guessing around 20 lbs. I weigh 120 lbs. Next leg day I'm just gonna start at 300 and get at least 5 good ones. My summer goal was twice my weight then 300. Now it's 4 45lb plates on each side.my right glute hates me..... quads burn but I'm used to that.

Not an actual bar. But it has about 20 lbs of resistance. The sticker with the actual weight came off. I can't read it. Regardless, I'm just looking at the weight plates themselves. I hit several pr's Friday. Surprised me since my right leg has been injured for 2 months. I also did several 42" box jumps plus can successfully squat (smith machine) my weight.

Hand grip on dumbbells is an issue for me. I can manage 40 lb dumbbells in my left hand for a set of 10 before I begin to lose grip. The weight itself is fine but my grip isn't. Right hand I can probably go to 60 lb.

Suggestions? I feel pretty lame to use straps for 40 lb dumbbells. :(

Ok. Will look into this. Never got real into weight lifting til now. Always for strength and muscle endurance but I want to tackle this part of training. Starting a 6-12 week nutrition and training plan tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...
40.34 Not bad for being out late the night before but still not ideal.

1/2 marathon in 5 weeks. 2hr target.

That's a solid half time...

I was going to train for a half this fall, but our new baby is a bit more demanding than I had planned! Lol

Archived