LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

The heavier feel is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. My clutch is one of the only things I paid to have installed, and the shop that did it is the only non-dealer Subaru installer in town. They have a decent reputation, and I don't think anything got messed up, but in stop and go traffic my left leg gets an absolute workout!

Did you skip leg day at the gym? :lol:

No, I know what you mean. I would not tolerate the pedal effort in some of the cars I have driven. I just wish I knew the root cause for the difference between those particular clutches, and my set up.

Anyways, the Clutch Masters FX350 does seem to be a popular choice. I just haven't driven on it, so I can't speak to it's characteristics.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am running pretty much the same setup as Cryo - I never sensed the on/off feeling some folks describe with the FX300, I actually think it is more steetable than stock and am very happy with it - light pedal, easy modulation (IMO) and great holding power. If the FX350 improves on the on the modulation, it sounds like a fantastic option.

Did you skip leg day at the gym? :lol:

No, I know what you mean. I would not tolerate the pedal effort in some of the cars I have driven. I just wish I knew the root cause for the difference between those particular clutches, and my set up.

Anyways, the Clutch Masters FX350 does seem to be a popular choice. I just haven't driven on it, so I can't speak to it's characteristics.

:lol:

Believe me, if my leg is getting sore a person of lesser, ahem, stature would hate my clutch even more! It's interesting that the FX300 and ACT HD SS have about the same holding power, but just about everyone raves about how the pedal feel of the FX300 is 'OEMish'.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more reviews on the FX350!!!

It's not my leg, it's the ball of my foot that is getting beat up by the pedal effort. I was thinking of clamping a large plate on the pedal pad to distribute the pressure across my entire foot. That ACT wasn't cheap, I hate to toss it aside and blow another 600 for a clutch but if I don't do something soon I'm going to need an orthopedic surgeon, lol.

i didnt get many miles on it yesterday but it was easier to drive this morning. I think i'm just getting used to the higher engagement point and faster revs of the flywheel.

I've got a ~1000 mile roadtrip this weekend so it should be nicely broken in by monday i'll make sure i provide an update then.

ive got about 300 miles on it now (not counting the ~700 highway miles from my roadtrip).

The engagement has definetly smoothed out in all of the gear transitions other than starting out in 1st, that's still a little grabby but less than the first day so im pretty confident that 1st gear will smooth out too.

I do have to rev it higher during shifts to get a smooth transition compared to the oem clutch but i'm getting used to that and was expecting as much from going to the oem SMFW.

Overall i'm very happy with this clutch combo so far. Still got 200 miles left to go before the "official" break-in is complete.

By reading this all are their any other comparisons or details anyone woild like to share besides coparing it to ACT???...just curious

The looks of how my car is the 350 seems a better option for me since I forsee in the next ~6months ill swap out the oem one, just trying to plan ahead

• 2 weeks later...

passed the 500mile mark this past weekend.

I'm still getting used to the lighter flywheel (quicker revs) so occasionally i'll release the clutch too low and get some chatter/shuddering but for the most part it's a lot smoother between shifts than i was expecting. Moreso that i change between my heavy steeltoed workboots, office shoes, & lightweight workout sneakers throughout the day so i dont have a common base to work with but im confident it'll just come with more time.

stop - 1st & 1st - 2nd the fiance says you can feel the shift but anything higher (2nd to 3rd, etc.) she claims she can't tell at all if she didnt actually see me shift, so on those higher gears i'd say its actually smoother than the oem clutch.

Holding power is great, i'm at stage 2 (~18psi max).

This clutch is Awesome. The clutch pedal feel is way way lighter than stock. SMF is a huge plus. No clutch chatter with tsk3 kit. Very smooth shifting. Still need to break in but its a night and day difference.

I ordered all needed parts from underdogmotorsports.com

Excellent pricing and very fast shipping. Responded fast to emails and answered all questions.

I'm using the SMF with a Cobb lightned pulley and am having no issues. Car runs amazing. Had it tuned by Rob from AMR in mamroneck NY and havent had any issues at all. Almost 45k miles and not one complaint.

Hey guys, I made the mistake of installing the exedy stage 1 with 06 WRX SMFW into my outback xt, and now have the rock crusher noises during deceleration and engine braking.

I assume nobody has any noise issues with the FX350?

Does anyone know f they found a fix for the exedy stage 1 noise issues?

^Sounds like it could be throw out bearing. Happened in my 05 to the point where when I'd start from a stop light it would make a howl like a train horn.
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

...the rock crusher noises during deceleration and engine braking.

This is the thrashing noise associated with the single mass flywheel. There are many different brands and "levels" of clutch kit that are reported to have this noise when paired with the SMFW. The entire purpose of the DMFW is to absorb the power pulses that otherwise cause this noise.

Mike @ IPT did a very thorough write-up of this issue here.

earlier it was quoted that kevlar has problems after over heating and I have a carbon fiber clutch on my supra true cf set up disks flywheel etc.. anyway it actually grips more when heated and does not really glaze at all. Great material for clutches I think os giken has a interesting one for subarus they claim no rattling from there multi plate set ups

earlier it was quoted that kevlar has problems after over heating and I have a carbon fiber clutch on my supra true cf set up disks flywheel etc.. anyway it actually grips more when heated and does not really glaze at all. Great material for clutches I think os giken has a interesting one for subarus they claim no rattling from there multi plate set ups

Kevlar is not the same as CF.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I will be expecting a new clutch come summer - originally was set on the FX300 too... actually Cobb (my tuner) suggested it at the end of last year as the best setup for my application. (315whp/354torque) However, this FX350 seems to be raved about quite well. Guess I'll be switching! Thanks for the tread.

##UPDATE##

325whp/315tq

500 mile break In complete

Clutch pedal feels a little lighter than stock if not just the same

Clutch grabs perfectly

In the beginning it grabbed half way up but now its grabbing lower at the stock position I'm use to

Shifts butter smooth between gears

It was choppy at first but that has stopped

stalled out numerous times adjusting to the new setup

In the beginning it is very soft almost non existent

The single mass flywheel revs nicely but when going up a hill definitely slows quickly between gear change

!!! Absolutely zero clutch chatter !!!

Archived