LegacyGT.com

CM FX350 installed

RedDawg

Thrilled with my new FX350 setup so far! Still have 465 miles of break in. Earlier reviews sum up the early stages adequately. My initial engagement point doesn't seem bad - about 1/4 of the stroke from the floor and is quite predictable.

If you are on the fence about this setup, and it meets your power holding needs, do it! :D

(and buy it from Underdog Motorsports) ;)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me hop onto this ban wagon too. I changed my act clutch out last Friday for a CM FX350. I was shocked to see how light the pedal is compared to the act. I figured I had to give up a light pedal for holding capacity but apparently not.

I still have 470 miles left on break in but so far so good. I will update when my break in is complete and I can hit full boost again.

BTW I also got a smoking deal from (underdog motorsports)

Jon

Rockets GT bought an OEM SMFW, which is lighter than the DMFW but is not what we consider a LWFW.

Does the shudder occur while you are letting off the clutch pedal, trying to take off from a stop? Does it happen any time you are shifting? Is there any vibration with the clutch all the way in or all the way out?

The shutter only occurs at low rpms, whether it's starting out in first gear or downshifting. I've been working on keeping the rpms up the past few days and that helps keep the shutter to a minimum, almost non existent.

The shutter itself is in the clutch pedal and the entire front end of the car, including my entire dash which hates it.

i'll occasionally get chatter/shuddering in 1st when starting from a stop. I think with the FX350 theres a perfect engagement point you need to hit to get smooth takeoffs, otherwise it's gonna chatter.

Probably around 75% of my 1st gear starts will be smooth, 25% i'll get chatter.

Hmm... I do not think excessive shudder is normal, BUT it is tough to say because I have seen some cars that idle very low and require more throttle input to get smooth engagement. It may be that you need to adjust your driving technique around the engagement of this higher-performance clutch. I can't think of a particular fault with the clutch kit that would cause it to only happen at low speed engagement.

Hmm... I do not think excessive shudder is normal, BUT it is tough to say because I have seen some cars that idle very low and require more throttle input to get smooth engagement. It may be that you need to adjust your driving technique around the engagement of this higher-performance clutch. I can't think of a particular fault with the clutch kit that would cause it to only happen at low speed engagement.

I think it's just a factor of coming from the oem setup to a lighter flywheel im not 100% used to revving it higher when letting the clutch out.

Interesting. Seems there is some variance. I'm not sure why - flywheel step spec, CM vs. TSK3 TOB, or alignment issues? I'm only feathering the throttle to about 1100RPM when taking off from a stop and it's been quite predictable to engage the clutch and not shudder at all. My tune's been stable for quite some time, and idle is rock solid at like 750RPM.

<250 miles to go on break in - loving the clutch and can't wait to do some WOT pulls :D

I should have clarified - I agree what you described shouldn't be an issue. I'm referring more to WOT/quick shift/WOT. CM advised no hard engine braking or WOT shifting. I'm eager to put the clutch through the paces after months of babying a slipping clutch that I couldn't do a 2k - redline WOT pull on without some slippage at peak boost. Luckily I'm only a few days out given my commute :D

I agree with you in regards to changing my driving style from the OEM setup. It's already gotten better since I added some rpms to each shift.

That being said, will any of this create excessive wear? I'd hate to learn that I've burnt my clutch after 10k miles or something like that because of this.

Rick

I'm about 100 miles in post break in with this amazing clutch setup! :D

It's holding my current power with ease, (no surprise), and is butter smooth now. I'm sure part of it is I've adjusted to the take up point, but all shifts between gears feel seamless. Take off is even easier now than early into break in. I did have some take off shudder at about 400 miles into the break in period, which quickly subsided and fully disappeared within about 50 miles.

My mechanic drove it since he hadn't done a CM install, and gave it quite high praises as he does a ton of ACT and Exedy installs being a performance Subaru shop. He had tried to get me to go for an ACT setup and I stuck to my guns based on the reviews and am so glad I went CM (as is my left calf muscle) ;)

I don't plan on any crazy launches because I value my drivetrain, but I ran it through the gears at WOT with quick shifts, and getting right back in it, and it feels so good to have full stage 2 power back at my disposal!

Couldn't be happier with my choice of this clutch kit :cool: Great DD pedal effort balanced with enough holding power for any future power mods I have my sites set on.

Maybe 100-200miles with FX350 + WRX SMFW. Engagement ca. mid point. Very nice and light pedal. VERY grabby, nearly a bit on/off if not concentrating when taking off. Soft suspension makes things worse (OB org, BTS ordered) with massive body pitch. Have stalled many times. Smooth if concentrating.

Wouldn't recommend if need to stock(ish) power but I'm very happy and confident that at least driver will improve :)

Did TSK-kit same time.

Archived