LegacyGT.com

Next car after a Legacy spec.B?

What, precisely, would you say constitutes the other 5%?

Wet, icy, or snow covered roads? Obviously if you're driving around alaska on snow covered roads, maybe you REALLY need snow tires. But most places plow the highways and then they dry out....most snow tires spend a majority of their time on dry pavement.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so you like the extra weight and MPG penalty?

I'd rather drive an AWD car year round than have to run snow tires in the winter on a FWD or RWD car. I have two sets of wheels though - summer tires and winter all seasons.

If I could be convinced that there was a reasonable tire solution for a RWD car, I would certainly consider one.

Wet, icy, or snow covered roads? Obviously if you're driving around alaska on snow covered roads, maybe you REALLY need snow tires. But most places plow the highways and then they dry out....most snow tires spend a majority of their time on dry pavement.
You haven't been to many places in the US have you? :lol:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I'd rather drive an AWD car year round than have to run snow tires in the winter on a FWD or RWD car. I have two sets of wheels though - summer tires and winter all seasons.

If I could be convinced that there was a reasonable tire solution for a RWD car, I would certainly consider one.

so you'd rather pay in higher gas consumption, higher initial purchase and higher maintenance costs than pay for two sets of tires?

Not to mention AWD cars burn through tires faster.

You're either incredibly dumb or a really bad troll.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

You haven't been to many places in the US have you? :lol:

Ok, "most *civilized* places", happy now? I'm talking about normal urban and suburban areas (where most people live) that get less than say, 75" inches of snowfall on average. Especially if you drive mostly highway, you will spend the VAST majority of your miles on dry pavement during the winter.

Ok, "most *civilized* places", happy now? I'm talking about normal urban and suburban areas (where most people live) that get less than say, 75" inches of snowfall on average. Especially if you drive mostly highway, you will spend the VAST majority of your miles on dry pavement during the winter.

I believe the question still stands.

75 inches inches?

Many snow tires also work better in cold temperatures, not just in ice or snow. They outperform summer tires in temperatures below 40.

this is true. Some people think that snow tires are simply a tread design, this is not the case. It's a rubber compound laid on top of a traditional All Season. Once the "snow tread" wears out it's simply an all season.

so you'd rather pay in higher gas consumption, higher initial purchase and higher maintenance costs than pay for two sets of tires?

Not to mention AWD cars burn through tires faster.

You're either incredibly dumb or a really bad troll.

I have two sets of wheels/tires. Max performance for summer, all seasons for winter. I do not like winter tires.

There are plenty of people driving AWD in non winter climates, but there are rarely times when I get the benefit of AWD on non-winter conditions. So I certainly see your point, regardless of your tone.

this is true. Some people think that snow tires are simply a tread design, this is not the case. It's a rubber compound laid on top of a traditional All Season. Once the "snow tread" wears out it's simply an all season.

Having owned snow tires, I do not see the point of running this soft compound on dry pavement for most of the driving I do in the winter.

I have two sets of wheels/tires. Max performance for summer, all seasons for winter. I do not like winter tires.

There are plenty of people driving AWD in non winter climates, but there are rarely times when I get the benefit of AWD on non-winter conditions.

I would agree with this. The climate here in Montana requires all seasonal at a minimum for winter driving, but who wants to run those in the summer time. So two sets are required if you want to run a summer performance tire. (although, I ran all winter on my summer tires last year.... Lots of excitement with that configuration.)

There are plenty of people driving AWD in non winter climates, but there are rarely times when I get the benefit of AWD on non-winter conditions. So I certainly see your point, regardless of your tone.

Does your computer have a TTS system that can translate tone?

I would agree with this. The climate here in Montana requires all seasonal at a minimum for winter driving, but who wants to run those in the summer time. So two sets are required if you want to run a summer performance tire. (although, I ran all winter on my summer tires last year.... Lots of excitement with that configuration.)

Try some DOT-R tires for real excitement....you don't even need snow, just a bit of wet and cold. :eek:

Archived