LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

• 3 months later...

Your welcome, for a update the engine runs great. 24,000 miles on it so far.

The car is a blast to drive on the backroads. 1/2-3/4 throttle, in a gear, quick shifts and your doing 60mph in no time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just read this entire thread. Great info as others have said and glad it's driving well! Have thought about doing a rebuild myself but awful lot of time and possible issues :-0 More power to you and if I do, I'm keeping your notes handy!

Max

-- Wish someone had torn down your engine to see what was actually wrong. How much oil were you putting in per mileage?

-- Did you do a leak down test on it before you took it out? Curious what results were if you did. (Sorry if I missed it.)

Mike

-- Have you seen a crack ringland that still gives good compression numbers? I've heard of this happing as the upper ring can hold pressure even if lower ringland cracked (?).

-- Isn't a leak down test just as important? You can also listen to hear where the leak is coming from to better tell if valves (intake or exhaust), piston rings, etc), right? Also, sometimes compression numbers are ok but leak down not, right?

-- If a tune isn't knocking, is it at least safe? (E.g. when everyone talks about unsafe tunes, is the issue almost always that it's knocking?) I know LittleBlue has his good sticky on monitoring knock sum, etc., to check.

All that said, it seems best to:

- check situation if losing oil, etc.

-- check knock (see LittleBlue's sticky in tuning forum),

-- get both a compression AND leak down test

-- check injectors (you could have decent AFR but one injector be off possibly, right? You should probably see knock though, correct?)

- rebuild

-- Go with forged pistons

-- Get a good tune and make sure to look for knock (I'd always do that even if someone tuned for me...just to be safe ;-)

Edited by caramall2

I didn't do a leak down test. I was at about a qt of oil every 700 miles.

I have a long term plan for the car, so I figured I do the engine on my terms, not wait till something happened.

I'm at that stage in my life. It feels good to be here. 59 y/o now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm at that stage in my life. It feels good to be here. 59 y/o now.

With that kind of mileage on a stock body, you should consider a tune. Apparently that's where it's at. Not sure where I heard that tho :p

Bump for this thread cause I'm sizing up my options. Coming up on 150k miles, still on the stock motor, turbo, and clutch. Since I'll probably need to replace all this stuff within the next 50k, I am thinking about just doing it ONCE with a full build...

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Some will say get a compression test done first. If the car is new to you that may be a good idea. If you've had the car for years, you should have a good feel for the health of the engine.

If the motors solid, a tune is a good idea. Then save up your money and when it's time buy the parts and do it.

That's a good idea. Seems like it's better to know for sure.

Car is currently running AP OTS stage 1. In my possession for ~15k miles now. It was having some light hesitation issues early on but replaced o2 sensors, and more recently got off the stock tune. Both improved the car, but it wasn't completely there until I did a fuel injector cleaning with Gumout or whatever. Since then the idle and increased "smooth" has been great. Still, I plan to replace the IM gaskets, clean or replace the OCVs and/or MAF, replace TMIC>BOV gasket, and tighten/replace misc vacuum hoses and clamps. Already have most of the OEM replacement gaskets, as well as a BP TMIC kit, thanks BMB. May as well do the compression check and change the plugs at the same time.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

You may also want to try a can of Berryman B-12 injector cleaner. See the thread here about fuel additives. I put some in my wagon yesterday, $4.87 with tax, can't hurt.

You may also want to try a can of Berryman B-12 injector cleaner. See the thread here about fuel additives. I put some in my wagon yesterday, $4.87 with tax, can't hurt.

you sure it won't hurt anything? How does it affect octane rating ?

I guess you missed this thread, remember your only putting in about 1oz per gallon of gas. Plus some of the chemicals in the stuff adds/boost octane.

I wouldn't use these things all the time, IMO once can't hurt.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fuel-additives-do-youi-if-so-recommendationsi-215679.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I Read the thread but in case I messed it, did you also replace the pcv assembly? Now I'm sitting here with an 08 BBBB block afraid of #4 putting me back where I started off a few years back slowly piecing the car together again.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/th_02051931.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/th_0ef6c535.jpg

No, I did the standard test for it. If it rattles when you shake it, its good. Mine rattled easily with very little shaking.

If I did it again...for piece of mind, for the few dollars it cost, I'd replace it. Think about tot overall cost of the project...the PCV is cheap.

I Read the thread but in case I messed it, did you also replace the pcv assembly? Now I'm sitting here with an 08 BBBB block afraid of #4 putting me back where I started off a few years back slowly piecing the car together again.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/th_02051931.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/LGT/th_0ef6c535.jpg

Get it back on the road! Are you insinuating it being BBBB is bad?

• 2 months later...
Oh yeah.

Well, is it new or from a wrecked '08?

New, sitting in a dealership unsold forever. It was about to be shipped off but I showed up a day before. My bad for super late reply, I'm modding 2 other car forums.

Hey stop hi jacking my thread...LOL :)

FWIW, I have over 40,000 miles on the ej257. Car runs great, has the noises of a 10 y/o 195,000 mile car. Still driving it everyday.

Last Saturday on the way to HD to return a rental item to HD, I'm in the left lane on the highway, I notice this truck driver looking in his mirror at me, he looks about 3 times and smiles when he notices that I've seen him. He hooks his horn 3 times. I guess he liked the wagon.

Last night at the local garage while I was waiting to talk to the owner, I truck drives in, one of the employee's walks out to talk to him. I see them looking at the wagon, I walk over and I hear the young kid say, " that's the Obsidian Black Pearl". The guy say's,"that paint is gorgous". The sun was on it and the blue and silver was really visible.

I said thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=half%20moon%20gasket%20subaru

or just tell the guy at the parts counter at the dealer what you need, they can look it up.

• 1 month later...