LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

I'm curious as to the oil consumption, too. My car's consumption is boost-dependent. If I *flog* the car for a tank or two of gas, I'll have to top off as much as a pint. If I am doing a lot of highway cruising, and taking it easy, that pint is consumed over 1,500 miles instead of 300. 176k on my car now, original motor.

you get more blow-by the more the car sees boost. especially with that many miles, the clearances have probably loosened up with age. if you're really beating it up, 1/2 quart isn't bad. if you take it easy and that 1/2 quart is over 1500 miles (so full quart over 3000), that's not bad at all either.

You'll need to ask my Tuner Mike Kinsman about the FLKC events. I have no idea. That's what I pay him for, to make sure the tune is safe.

I estimate a qt and a half in the 7000-8000 miles oil changes.

I see. We have the same tuner btw :). How often does he check your car then? Or when was the last time he checked your tune?

Also, aren't you running your AP at all times in your car? If yes, you should easily see if you have any non zero FLKC events.

Regarding your oil consumption, so that's about 3/4 of a quart per standard OCI (3750 miles). That's not bad considering how much boost your run and how you drive it.

The last time I had anything done to the tune was when I installed the GS tmic last summer. Other then that there's no need to adjust the tune unless something changes.

I don't run the AP in the car all the time.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

Yes, the original fuel delivery system is still in the car.

As far as sensors on the engine, the only ones I've replaced are the O2's. All other components are the ones that came on the car. Even the PCV is still there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• 1 month later...

I did not get a CEL for those scratches. I don't know what happened to the block after it was sold. Sorry. But I really doubt it had a broken ringland, it ran well, no noises or indication something was bad in there. Just used oil.

The ej257 has over 72,000 miles on it and runs great.

I want to do injectors and pump but seeing you went 72k trouble free miles I may just run my 52 with stock fuel and tune from there. At this point my HP goals is a running car with no issues or short cuts.

I did not get a CEL for those scratches. I don't know what happened to the block after it was sold. Sorry. But I really doubt it had a broken ringland, it ran well, no noises or indication something was bad in there. Just used oil.

The ej257 has over 72,000 miles on it and runs great.

Interesting.. So why were these scratches there then? Is it possible to have scratches without having a broken ringland?

I want to do injectors and pump but seeing you went 72k trouble free miles I may just run my 52 with stock fuel and tune from there. At this point my HP goals is a running car with no issues or short cuts.

You could just upgrade the pump and use factory injectors. That's where I am with VF52 and stock tmic.

At 18.5 psi it put down 290 whp and 317 ft lbs tq

Really is a nice range for a daily driver

Interesting.. So why were these scratches there then? Is it possible to have scratches without having a broken ringland?

I think I talked about some abuse we did to the engine early on with a MBC and not a proper tune. I'm assuming that's where those scratch's came from.

You could just upgrade the pump and use factory injectors. That's where I am with VF52 and stock tmic.

At 18.5 psi it put down 290 whp and 317 ft lbs tq

Really is a nice range for a daily driver

I have to agree, this WHP area is very doable and feels great for a car like this. I know I've said it a hundred times, the car is so much fun to drive. It will easily go much faster then the speed limit in very short time. It has great pull and throttle response in 2nd and 3rd gears around town and on the back roads out where there are very few houses.

Sure another 20-30HP might be nice, but the cost of that is at least 4 injectors and a fuel pump plus the install time...

• 2 months later...
I have to agree, this WHP area is very doable and feels great for a car like this. I know I've said it a hundred times, the car is so much fun to drive. It will easily go much faster then the speed limit in very short time. It has great pull and throttle response in 2nd and 3rd gears around town and on the back roads out where there are very few houses.

Sure another 20-30HP might be nice, but the cost of that is at least 4 injectors and a fuel pump plus the install time...

Sounds like $500 and a Saturday afternoon for 30hp.

The last time I had anything done to the tune was when I installed the GS tmic last summer. Other then that there's no need to adjust the tune unless something changes.

I don't run the AP in the car all the time.

Did you notice any improvements after retuning for the Grimmspeed TMIC? I'm not expecting much just curious. Thanks!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

To be honest, I can't remember, I doubt there was much of a change. But knowing I won't have a hose blow off and knowing this thing is easy to remove and reinstall makes me feel so much better.

Unrelated but, I finally did the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose change on my Spec B about a month ago but never reset the ECU until last week.

I put a brass T off the BOV line to the FPR, it made a small improvement in the 2400-3000 rpm surge. But, after resetting the EUC, when we drove the car to dinner Saturday evening the surge was gone.

There's a thread on here somewhere about doing that, I just can't find it...may be I should look harder....yea, I'll get right on that...LOL

Edited by Max Capacity

I did get the 11 blade so why not just keep on saving for 30 more HP?

Add the cost of another tune to that as well.

At this point I'm going to just wait till everything is in and on the car so it's tuned 1 time. I was gonna try and do a break in tune then real tune but most likely I'm not going to make a road trip to any of the tuners suggested in these threads.

Edited by Merc6

I did get the 11 blade so why not just keep on saving for 30 more HP?

At this point I'm going to just wait till everything is in and on the car so it's tuned 1 time. I was gonna try and do a break in tune then real tune but most likely I'm not going to make a road trip to any of the tuners suggested in these threads.

You could always load an opensource break-in tune and drive on that until you're ready for a "real" tune. Opensource tuning can be safe if you do a little research first and take your time. Especially for a break-in map. Reduce target boost to zero (wastegate pressure), retard timing a degree if you want to be extra careful, maybe even increase fueling a little just because... there's your safety tune. Opensource (at home) probably isn't the best way to tune, but for a break-in there's only so much that needs done.

Edited by StkmltS

Did you notice any improvements after retuning for the Grimmspeed TMIC? I'm not expecting much just curious. Thanks!

Perrin: 303whp/267wtq @ ~21lbs

GrimmSpeed: 318whp/345wtq @ ~22lbs

Those were the changes on my BNR HTA71. We fixed a MAF issue at the same time as the GS install and I think that's why the TQ number is so much higher, but he felt that most of the peak HP change was due to the TMIC.

Perrin: 303whp/267wtq @ ~21lbs

GrimmSpeed: 318whp/345wtq @ ~22lbs

Those were the changes on my BNR HTA71. We fixed a MAF issue at the same time as the GS install and I think that's why the TQ number is so much higher, but he felt that most of the peak HP change was due to the TMIC.

Wow! Thats quite an improvement over the perrin. Thanks for the info. Im still on stock turbo for now

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

The stock splitter fit over my Perrin pretty darn close, I thought. I know the back edge met up perfectly with the top of the TMIC and the width was good.

Anyway, besides my dyno numbers (mustang dyno tuned by BrenTuning to give context), there has been discussion that the GS is a bit of a dyno queen versus daily driver ideal. The size of the GS allows for more heat soak which can hurt the around town driver a bit, while a smaller core may feel more responsive. But the air flow through the GS allows for better peak numbers.

The tuner did comment that he was able to add a degree of timing with the switch to the GS.

Here in the real world that small amount of difference between the GS and others does it really matter a couple of HP here or there.

When it comes to installing the GS is when it's so much easier then the stock style tmic's.

Don't get hung up on the #'s from one dyno to the next. It's how the car drives as a DD or how it performs at the track. The track numbers are what really matters if that's what your into and your data logging and making adjustments.

I was really only curious if you picked up any power going from the stock tmic to the grimmspeed tmic, that being the only change. I wouldnt expect much if any, and I agree with the ease of installation. I dont plan on upgrading my turbo in the near future, but if i do decide to go that route I already have the cooling covered. I only went with the grimmspeed because i feel its the best one on the market right now. Sorry to thread jack with that question!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I really didn't feel any gain from going from the IPR tmic to the GS.

But the car was a little off as I knew I had a leak at the TB hose...that will not happen again.

I had to go back a few years to find a picture of the IPR,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4365.jpg

here's the GS,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN7058_zpsdclzvyn3.jpg

I put some of the gold heat tape under the inlet inside of the tmic.

Edited by Max Capacity