LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

Just did the 25 mile drive into work on the backroads. The DEI exhaust wrap is still giving off smell at stop lights. But the engine is nice. Idles fine, revs well to 4000rpm, it seen a little boost as it spools going up some of the long hills. I have the stock tmic, the tune is set for 21psi, so you can see why I don't want to give it to much throttle. I'll put the IPR tmic later this week.

I think I stripped the left lower ball joint threads putting the nut back on with the impact gun, I should have used the butterfly air ratchet, it has less torque. My other 1/2 impact at my sons has a adjusting knob so I can lower the pressure.

The steering rack is leaking also, but that has been doing that for a long time. I'll stop by my trusted mechanic tonight and make an appointment to have him fix or replace the leaking steering rack and both lower ball joints.

I don't want PITA job of messing with those pinch bolts on the ball joints. It will need to aligned afterwards, and he's the best in the area with that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Next up date. Engine runs great.

Yesterday I dropped the car off at my trusted mechanics shop to have him replace the steering rack and left lower ball joint.

He just called and said the spindle cracked, and he was going to call subaru and get one. I called him back a said I get a good discount there, so he said for me to order it and see how fast it can get to him.

The parts guy's will deliver the spindle to him when they get it tomorrow.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yes, they were having a difficult time with it. RUSTY, like I didn't expect that. I warned him it was going to be a nightmare.

I think someone else here had the same type thing happen.

Yes, they were having a difficult time with it. RUSTY, like I didn't expect that. I warned him it was going to be a nightmare.

I think someone else here had the same type thing happen.

A long time ago I cracked a spindle on our 94 legacy turbo race car when doing the bearing.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpghttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.2971 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I snapped off the tap that clamps around the ball joint. It was a Sat. & winter time (roadster doesn't play in the salt & snow). Need the car for work Mon. I beveled the weld joint & welded the joint all the way around. The using a grinder, finger file & a dermal to do the machine work by hand. Drove on it for 2wks , 1200 miles, why'll waiting on new part & time to install it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0524120950.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0524120951.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/0524120951a.jpg

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

The car is on the alignment rack now. I should be able to stop by and pick it up on my way home from work.

Just over 230 miles now, engines seen a short burst to 6400rpm in 1st gear today going down hill. It's been to 5500rpm a few times yesterday in 1st and 2nd gear.

Seems to pull pretty good. I don't think I've given it much more then 2/3rds throttle.

Update on the steering rack.

It's taken a few times doing figure 8's in parking lots to get all the air out of the power steering fluid tank. But the shimmy it had when hitting bumps during corners is almost all gone. I pulled into 2 parking lots on the way into work today and twice yesterday, plus I did a few in the parking lot here at work today.

I stopped by my mechanic to pay him yesterday and told him about it, he said they normally try to take the car to a big parking lot and do figure 8's but time was tight.

We also discussed the ball joint replacement. He agrees that next time he'll recommend to the owner of these cars that they purchase the knuckle and wheel bearing before they start the job, just in case the ball joint turns into a labor nightmare.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ball-joint-replacement-186404.html

He has done these in the past with the same issues.

Yes I did get a new oil pump from Mike at AZPinstalls.com I could have gotten a better price may be, but he helps out a lot here for free so I like to give him my business.

I didn't need a oil cooler because I didn't have any metal any where in the oil system. I did soak it in Acetone and blew it out a few times with the air compressor.

Just did the 500 mile oil & filter change. Engine runs great. We'll try and put the IPR tmic on tonight when the engine cools a bit.

IPR tmic is on. It's a combination of putting the TB hose on tight, starting the support arm bolts, making sure the back of the IC is high and start the bolts to the turbo. It took some pushing and threading the bolts to get them to line up and thread in. I found it beneficial to have the OEM bolts with that lead-in on them. I took one out of the Spec B tmic. I started the back bolt first.

I also put the BOV on last and had to cut some of the plastic away by the bottom bolt on the angled support so it woulsd clear the support arm from the intake manifold.

Did a few boost pulls, the TB hose hasn't popped off yet. I did a couple of WOT to 6500 in 2nd gear. I'll carry tools and the stock tmic with me for a few day's till gain confidence.

Seems to pull pretty hard, it wackes my head against the head rest, instead of just pushing my head into it. The GF will like that...LOL

I'll give it a good pull in 3rd gear tomorrow on the way home from work.

Edited by Max Capacity

Yes, Mike, I plan to meet with him later next week and have him check things out. He's lives about 10 minutes from me.

Mike Eastwood of the machine shop, would like me to put the car back on the dyno and see what difference the porting made. Not sure I want to spend the money on that one...I guess I could use the Cobb AP to find a hp # too.

But I hate messing with the ECU and the wires.

Edited by Max Capacity

Filled the gas tank Friday night, didn't drive the wagon all weekend. When I got to work today dash is reading 25.6mpg.

Cruise control most of the way to work set at 68 and down as slow as 63mph. That was after the WOT getting on the highway in 4th gear to 90mph up the first hill.

Filled the gas tank Friday night, didn't drive the wagon all weekend. When I got to work today dash is reading 25.6mpg.

Cruise control most of the way to work set at 68 and down as slow as 63mph. That was after the WOT getting on the highway in 4th gear to 90mph up the first hill.

How long was your commute?

Just over 30 miles, I live about 2 miles from the gas station and about 3.5 miles from the highway. The gas station is at the top of the hill, so leaving the gas station is a short run up a bit abd down to the left which starts the about 1 mile down hill coast, a quick left then right 400 ft to the next right and then about 1/8 mile to driveway. Reverse that for the morning drive.

Once I get to the gas station in the morning and can coast the next 1.5 miles or so to the traffic lights then over the highway bridge then left to the on ramp. Exit 68 and rt84 in CT

Then its up and down for the appox 14 miles till I get rt 291 which is flat to rt 91N to the rt20 connector to the off ramp to work.

Just got back from meeting up with my Tuner, http://www.tuningalliance.com

Had him check the tune on the wagon with ported heads and do a map for the Spec.

Both cars run great, but the Spec could use a DP. The stock DP keeps to much heat in.

We spent 4 hours to do both cars.