LegacyGT.com

got some new stuff for engine R&R

Both cars still get Amsoil 5w-40 European Classic and their filter. I haven't sent a sample to Blackstone since years ago when they said at 7000 miles, "to leave the oil in till 9000 miles and send in another sample". That was back in early 2013. I tend to change it around 7000 miles or towards 8000 miles during Winter, when I need to find a warm day in February to get under the car.

The engine still has very little noise, at idle. When I had my trusted mechanic replace the timing belt a few months back, he commented on how quiet the engine is. He also has Subaru's. EJ257 has about 108,000 miles on it.

I just took the car down to the body shop to have them repaint the front of the roof where some of the paint is cracking. Don't want the Winter crap to get under it and rust.

I put the stock mufflers back on the stock mid pipe yesterday, I drove to the body shop without the radio or heater fan going. The car is still so quiet. GF picked me up in the 2018 Outback 3.6R. When I got in to drive it, I was surprised to hear its not much different then the wagon, on the back roads any ways.

The wagon now has a catted Invidia DP now, no longer catless. I put a new Invidai catless up pipe on also a few weeks back.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Here's more, and why the dip stick is so hard to read, notice the angle that it goes in the pan.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4718.jpg

Looking at you're oil cooler pics I just saw this, and all the sudden I now see why the under side of dipstick is useless to use for measurements. Good TIL. :)

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Glad I could help you. ;)

Yesterday I took the wagon to VT for the first time this ski season. Got 26.4mpg on the dash readout doing 68-70mph on CC, 230 mile round trip, took $26.50 of gas at $2.93 a gallon. Got gas at the same station by my son's house after picking him up and before dropping him off. The car ran great as it does normally.

With the stock mid pipe and mufflers it was nice and quiet, with the radio turned off my son I were able to talk to each other all the way up and back. He's 31y/o now.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm about to start my journey of replacing the oil cooler o-ring, I think it's the leading reason for my oil "consumption". So your picks were great :-D.

How cold was it during your VT trip? Just curious since I haven't seen 24mpg in a long time personally, but I stopped taking the LGT on long trips when it's cold (Outback is better at it)

22 Ascent STOCK

I'm about to start my journey of replacing the oil cooler o-ring, I think it's the leading reason for my oil "consumption". So your picks were great :-D.

How cold was it during your VT trip? Just curious since I haven't seen 24mpg in a long time personally, but I stopped taking the LGT on long trips when it's cold (Outback is better at it)

How much oil have you been 'consuming'?

How much oil have you been 'consuming'?

4oz per 125miles, barely any oil in intercooler, no oil in turbo, can't see inside manifold easily, no blue or any kind of smoke, even after engine braking (which I do A LOT of living in mountains).

22 Ascent STOCK

Temps were 37-42f up and back

When I got to work today I pulled the dipstick loosened the oil fill cap. After work I’ll check the oil level. This oil has close to 7000 miles on it.

Temps were 37-42f up and back

I feel like it should be able to do better then that, especially being a 5MT, but maybe wagons are just that much worse aerodynamically :lol:. The lowest I've gotten in ~40F weather is 27.8mpg (at pump) over the last year. But this is during the day, so no headlights and with at least some traffic.

22 Ascent STOCK

I just see the error I made above, I have fixed it. Sorry, 26.4mpg is what the car has gotten on that drive for years. The trip was during the day time.

During warmer weather it will get 27mpg on that drive. When it gets colder the mpg will drop some more.

Oh, I understand, you were just interested in the facts. I'm also picky about the details. Just ask the guys I work with...

• 6 months later...

Remember, I did this in May 2012, The ej257 and gasket set was $2200. Me machine shop bill was cheaper then anyone else would pay, he asked me not to tell people what he charged me. With the race care we had, I spend ton's of money with them, so he gave me a great deal.

You can fine the prices for OEM parts on most dealers web site these day's, just look for their "parts" link.

The clutch and other prices are easy to find on line.

Most of us say to plan on spending $4-5000 to do it right, depending on how much DIY.

$4-5k is a reasonable estimate if you do most of the work yourself.

Rebuilding the motor 100% DIY only saves you a few hundred $ vs. simply replacing it with a new shortblock.

I’d love to go on that journey , but between all the building tools and the high chance of me not getting everything right the first time... its too risky & expensive. Especially with it being my only car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
firepuma on this forum is pushing 338whp on a walbro and stock injectors. vf52, racer-x, ebcs, intake, stock headers and up

I have serious concerns about getting that kind of power out of stock injectors....I would be taking a hard look at the injectors duty cycle and see if it is maxed out or not....if it is, you have a hand grenade on your hands.

firepuma on this forum is pushing 338whp on a walbro and stock injectors. vf52, racer-x, ebcs, intake, stock headers and up

I have serious concerns about getting that kind of power out of stock injectors....I would be taking a hard look at the injectors duty cycle and see if it is maxed out or not....if it is, you have a hand grenade on your hands.

They could be running the injectors at 4bar, which would increase the flow from 500cc to 577cc, which I think would raise the ceiling enough to run about 340whp.

I am maxing out stock side fed 500cc injectors at about 300whp at ~11.1 AFR.

22 Ascent STOCK

Thanks for your concern, I have been running them maxed out since 142,000 miles, car now has 275,000 miles.

It's all in the Tune.

while i wish no one bad luck at all with their setup...i am by nature cautious when it comes to turbo engines especially their tuning. My comment was only meant to get you to take another look and see how close to the edge you really are. For example, lets say your tune is perfectly adequate for normal driving conditions and the way you normally use the car...now lets throw a monkey wrench in the crankcase by imposing much colder than normal weather which would require more fuel because of the more dense air and also because the colder air turbo efficiency goes up and you have more boost than normal....lets see, lean condition from not enough fuel, more boost than normal...what can go wrong? Ring land failure certainly seems very likely at a minimum with a possible total piston meltdown possible at the other extreme...my caution comes from an exchange i had with my tuner who tuned my 09 wrx...inj duty cycle was nearly 90% when he finished with it and he asked me to do a datalog with that parameter monitored...i asked him about those numbers and his response to me was that its good to have some cushion and 90% duty cycle is a good reasonable max with room for those cases when the engine needs a little extra fuel to avoid going lean. The tuner in question is Bren tuning....and i think they have a good rep in the subie community.

Again thanks. This car spends more driving time in Winter then Summer. The tune was done Aug 2011 on ESP's dyno in Sterling MA. I drive the wagon to VT every Winter weekend to ski at Okemo. Have had a season pass there for over 20 years.

It has been street tuned a few times since by Tuning Alliance, Mike Kinsman is one of the best Tuners fro these cars. Back in the day. his brother had a 2005 GT when Mike was working at a Dyno Shop. He spend lots of time running that car on the dyno and learned a lot. He and Trey Cobb were talking as he was learning about these cars along with Cobb.

Others on this Forum who had a Bren tune and then had Mike tune there car, only have good things to say about the improvement. Not saying Bren is bad, they have been around for a long time. Just saying Mikes tune is truly amazing.

Back in the turbo Civic day's it was said to never be in full boost for my then 15 seconds. May be that has kept me safe. I never run the car that hard for a long time. Now don't think I drive it easy. The car see redline a few times a week. But the most fun is, doing 2nd and 3rd gear pulls to about 5500-6000rpm on the back roads in CT. That happens more then a few times a week.

• 3 months later...