LegacyGT.com

So, I CUT MY SPRINGS. OOOOH.

turbodog

I think you give the mfg too much credit.

Maybe some are better than others, but if they like being in business without getting sued a lot, they will be motivated to sell products that work.

Coil springs MUST be uniformly seated to work properly. If they are not you may get ugly rotations at the bearing point because the restraint the spring needs is not there. The spring ends are manufactured to make this happen. When you cut off the part that was designed to transfer the load and just leave a random end to carry about 1000 lb static and several times that dynamic, you are asking for trouble.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That sounds about right. Some people on here are happy to quietly run the crappiest Chinese knockoff parts, yet freak out about anything that would publicly associate this community with old Hondatech trends. I had to learn a lot about springs recently for my side hobby. All springs get cut, in the factory. Sure the OEM springs are engineered a specific shape, bit I figure your suspension is still safer than many of the lowered cars on this very forum, which by the way get no flack. Your camber curve and bump steer curve are probably right in spec, you're no where near hitting your bump stops relative to many people on here, your spring is still of OEM material, your top hat should be fine... Cutting springs isn't for me, and not for most people on here, but your spring is still going to be stiffer than a USDM stock spring, and at full droop you will still probably have more spring pressure than some progressive rate lowering springs on the market. Obviously if you screw up you may die, but it sounds like you are aware of that and appear to know something about cars, so good luck and have fun. Edit: Not saying others in here don't have very good points, because some sure do! I am hoping you seated the springs properly...
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I know more about the design and modification of springs than everyone in this thread, combined. Period.

I think you give the mfg too much credit.

I think you give YOURSELF too much credit.:rolleyes:

...Your camber curve and bump steer curve are probably right in spec, you're no where near hitting your bump stops relative to many people on here,

I polished my bumpstops to a glass like finish on the oem suspension. I suppose it depends on how hard you drive.

I polished my bumpstops to a glass like finish on the oem suspension. I suppose it depends on how hard you drive.

Spec B has higher spring rate.

I drove my car in Boston for years; had to get many alignments, but bump stops look fine, with various suspension iterations. It's more about what bumps you hit, how fast you hit them, etc.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That sounds about right. Some people on here are happy to quietly run the crappiest Chinese knockoff parts, yet freak out about anything that would publicly associate this community with old Hondatech trends. I had to learn a lot about springs recently for my side hobby. All springs get cut, in the factory. Sure the OEM springs are engineered a specific shape, bit I figure your suspension is still safer than many of the lowered cars on this very forum, which by the way get no flack. Your camber curve and bump steer curve are probably right in spec, you're no where near hitting your bump stops relative to many people on here, your spring is still of OEM material, your top hat should be fine... Cutting springs isn't for me, and not for most people on here, but your spring is still going to be stiffer than a USDM stock spring, and at full droop you will still probably have more spring pressure than some progressive rate lowering springs on the market. Obviously if you screw up you may die, but it sounds like you are aware of that and appear to know something about cars, so good luck and have fun. Edit: Not saying others in here don't have very good points, because some sure do! I am hoping you seated the springs properly...

Thanks, you nailed it!

Just aligned the car, at home, with string.

While we're here, do you have any comments on doing the DIY alignment? I'm going to make a setup using jack stands and string. The local Firestone does not get it terribly right, and they take hours. Did you do camber? Was thinking a level and a ruler... will crunch the numbers in Excel.

To be clear, I'm not endorsing cutting springs! Just asking about the alignment.

My 31-year-old chassis modification book tells me that K=(W^4 x G)/(8ND^3), where K=spring stiffness in lbs/in, W=wire diameter in inches, G = 12,000,000 for steel springs, N=number of active coils (free coils + 1/2), and D = diameter of the coil measured to center of wire, in inches. So, uh, there. I'm another expert now. Do I get a star?

I've got equations for leaf springs, too, for whoever decides that what their LGT really needs is a live rear axle.

But the author of my book also recommends putting your springs in the oven to shorten them. Just compress it and stick it in the oven at 400 for "a few minutes." It's very scientific. "With luck it is not too short!" But don't worry, since "any differences can be made up with metal shims." Because racecar.

(thanks, Tracer-X!)

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

While we're here, do you have any comments on doing the DIY alignment? I'm going to make a setup using jack stands and string. The local Firestone does not get it terribly right, and they take hours. Did you do camber? Was thinking a level and a ruler... will crunch the numbers in Excel.

To be clear, I'm not endorsing cutting springs! Just asking about the alignment.

SPC makes a cheap caster camber gauge with toe plates. That's what I'm using. Slide plates I'm using are just some plexi with grease between them(wasn't paying the money they wanted for the real deal).

WOAHWAITAMINUTE!

My LGT's rear axle isn't alive?

Not yet! But with a little welding, this could be you!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NMf99tXHLD8/To7of20cSiI/AAAAAAAAAIU/jfNamrNjvQc/s1600/young_frankenstein1.jpg

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

Archived